Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:06 AM   #1
kiranmk2
macrumors 6502

Linking email address and phone number

I seem to remember at the recent keynote we were shown that we would be able to link out apple ID email address with our iphone numbers so imessages would properly sync across devices. Is this option actually available in 10.8 or do we have to wait for iOS6 too?
kiranmk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranmk2 View Post
I seem to remember at the recent keynote we were shown that we would be able to link out apple ID email address with our iphone numbers so imessages would properly sync across devices. Is this option actually available in 10.8 or do we have to wait for iOS6 too?
I thought that too, and was informed that we must wait for iOS6 first.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
jk73
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I thought that too, and was informed that we must wait for iOS6 first.
Why would iOS 6 be required? Isn't this what the "Receive at" section of the Messages control panel does in iOS 5.1.1.?
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk73 View Post
Why would iOS 6 be required? Isn't this what the "Receive at" section of the Messages control panel does in iOS 5.1.1.?
That's what I thought too. I still do not have a clear answer on this myself.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

Not until iOS6 is what I keep hearing. Although when Messages was in beta, it integrated my Apple ID with my phone number perfectly, but just after upgrading to Mountain Lion, it no longer works the way it did.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
jk73
macrumors member

That's really strange. This functionality clearly exists already in iOS 5.1.1. If anything, it seems like an update to OS 10.8 might be required rather than iOS 6.
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 02:17 AM   #7
hafr
Banned

It's probably not only iOS/OS X dependant, but they will also need to change something behind the scenes.

As of now, it does in fact seem like messages are being divided (for the recipient) into different discussions/chats/messages/what have you according to a device specific ID (one for the computer, one for the iPhone and so on), and not according to Apple ID or even by contact.

My guess is that with the release of iOS 6 (and 10.8.1), messages sent from no matter which device will be identified by from which Apple ID it's being sent, i.e. being able to merge phone number and e-mail address(es).

But I wonder if it will be possible to exclude for instance messages being sent to one's phone number to arrive at the computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
Not until iOS6 is what I keep hearing. Although when Messages was in beta, it integrated my Apple ID with my phone number perfectly, but just after upgrading to Mountain Lion, it no longer works the way it did.
I have the exact same thing. With Messages beta, I got messages sent to my phone number after having entered it in my Apple ID info. Now, nothing.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion