Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
So...I mainly purchased iTunes match so that I could stream my entire library to my MacBook Air, but i'm a bit concerned about something. It's my understanding that if I double click on a song without clicking the iCloud download button the song should stream, and it does appear to. However, what's bothering me is that if I go back to play a song i've played before it plays pretty instantaneously and doesn't appear to buffer or anything beforehand. Is iTunes just storing a lot of temporary files? Is my ssd going to fill up with these quickly or what? The music folder in the itunes media folder is empty... I haven't actually downloaded anything, but with how fast songs i've played before start, and the apparent lack of buffering, i'm a bit concerned. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

Xanadeath

----------

UPDATE: I've located a folder called "PlayCache" in the com.apple.iTunes folder in my Library files. The folder comes in at a grand total of about 370mb. So, though i'm not downloading the files, iTunes is clearly storing them so that I can play them quickly in the future. My question: Does anyone know if there is a cap at which the PlayCache folder will begin deleting older played files.. say 500mb or 1gb or so...or is this just going to go indefinitely and fill my ssd. I realize I could manually delete the playcache folder every so often but that, needless to say, seem inefficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.