Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
yyy
macrumors regular

Is there a way to disable the startup sound?

I'm using Mountain Lion on MBP 13 and I tried every solution I could find, such as: StartupSound.prefPane, Psst, StartNinja and nothing works. I restart my Mac a lot (I don't like leaving it on for too long) so I need a solution that works permanently (I don't want to mute the sound before every shutdown).

Any ideas?
yyy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Why do you not use the SLEEP feature instead of shutting your Mac down?
I and many others use that feature quite successfully, no need to relaunch the Mac and all the applications every time you want to use it.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Why do you not use the SLEEP feature instead of shutting your Mac down?
I and many others use that feature quite successfully, no need to relaunch the Mac and all the applications every time you want to use it.
Great reply. Instead of helping the OP tell them to use the computer differently (even though they've clearly expressed why they prefer to shutdown).
tekno is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
That may work but it only says its compatible with OSX up to 10.6.8.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Great reply. Instead of helping the OP tell them to use the computer differently (even though they've clearly expressed why they prefer to shutdown).
And? It is still a valid reply. Many people I know, who switched to Mac OS X, shut their Macs down all the time, not knowing of the SLEEP feature, because Windows' sleep feature was a bit crap. When I showed them Mac OS X' sleep function, they changed their behaviour.
Of course I could link to another tidbit of software, but sometimes a change of behaviour brings new light.

But then again, you replied, again not really helping, only voicing your disdain. I should be used to that by now. And I am. So what the ****...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

if you mute your system volume before shutting down it will not make the chime when it starts up.
gentlefury is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What the OP does is stupid though. It's your civic duty to stop people from using their computers stupidly.

OP, use the Sleep function and join us in 2012!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
if you mute your system volume before shutting down it will not make the chime when it starts up.
This.
Maybe get something set up that mutes your volume when you press the shutdown button?

The startup chime always scares the crap out of me if I've been listening to loud music the night before.
Feed Me is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
wethackrey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyy View Post
I'm using Mountain Lion on MBP 13 and I tried every solution I could find, such as: StartupSound.prefPane, Psst, StartNinja and nothing works. I restart my Mac a lot (I don't like leaving it on for too long) so I need a solution that works permanently (I don't want to mute the sound before every shutdown).

Any ideas?
The sound is actually a diagnostic. If a bank of memory fails during the power on self test, the tone changes. Even plugging external speakers into the headphone jack doesn't completely disable the start-up sound from the built-in speaker.

Arcana's Startup Sound Preference Pane hasn't worked since Snow Leopard.

I did find this solution, though I've not tried it myself. I'd be interested to know if it works for you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
And? It is still a valid reply. Many people I know, who switched to Mac OS X, shut their Macs down all the time, not knowing of the SLEEP feature, because Windows' sleep feature was a bit crap. When I showed them Mac OS X' sleep function, they changed their behaviour.
Of course I could link to another tidbit of software, but sometimes a change of behaviour brings new light.

But then again, you replied, again not really helping, only voicing your disdain. I should be used to that by now. And I am. So what the ****...
Hey, I too use sleep far more often than shutdown. But, since the OP joined MacRumours in 2007 and has tried various software solutions, I have to assume he's not new to the party and knows about sleep.
wethackrey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:03 PM   #10
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Restarting the computer all the time isn't practical or necessary. It's pretty obvious that simsaladimbamba was trying to point that out to the OP. Perhaps he/she thinks that it needs to be shut down regularly in order to run properly. A lot of people coming from Windows seem to think that and are reluctant to just put their computer to sleep. Sometimes the most helpful answers are the ones that don't just answer the question but actually try to point out a better way of doing something. Your post, on the other hand, provided no useful information at all, so why judge others?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
This.
Maybe get something set up that mutes your volume when you press the shutdown button?

The startup chime always scares the crap out of me if I've been listening to loud music the night before.
I used to get in trouble during screenings if I had to restart for some reason...LOL. I learned that trick early on.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
yyy
macrumors regular

I know many people advise not to restart the computer too often but sometimes I have to. If I'm going outside for a long trip and I occasionally need to use my computer, I want to keep as much battery power as possible so I shut down the Mac when it's not in use. Or if I need to reboot to Windows (I don't like virtualization apps).

Anyway, it's frustrating that a high-end "pro" product must chime whenever it's turned on. You'd think after so many years of development Apple would allow us to change that. After all, they didn't make the iPhone or the iPad chime on startup.

And BTW, I tried this solution too and it didn't work. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by yyy; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
yyy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Pared3s
macrumors member

If the OP doesn't know about the Sleep function he should use it but I still think a solution to this would be helpful. If you have a Mac that has an SSD in it the start up/shut down times are ridiculously fast. Because of that I find myself shutting down the Mac more because it saves the battery a bit more. This is helpful when traveling and wanting to conserve juice.

It used to be that you could hold down the mute button when powering up but that doesn't work anymore.
Pared3s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:46 PM   #14
The "Dude"
macrumors regular

Wethackrey is correct, the startup tone is a diagnostic feature to let you know the computer is booting properly. It's also the cue to let the user know when to press any keys during boot up like specifying a boot drive or external cd.
The "Dude" is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:17 PM   #15
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
What the OP does is stupid though. It's your civic duty to stop people from using their computers stupidly.

OP, use the Sleep function and join us in 2012!
I would agree. My dad shuts off his iPad every time he's done using it and it drives me crazy. Possibly even worse than the computer thing, haha.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Pared3s
macrumors member

I was able to disable the startup sound using the thread mentioned above:
http://my.opera.com/mereh/blog/2011/...dx=50#comments

I couldn't get the part of the script that restores the sound (mute-off) to work though.

Thanks for posting that!

I didn't try Auto-Mute because I wasn't sure how up to date the program was.

EDIT: I got the mute-off part to work!

Last edited by Pared3s; Jul 29, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Pared3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
yyy
macrumors regular

Quote:
I just installed this one and it works on my early 2011 MBP running ML. No more startling the baby.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35207/auto-mute
Doesn't work for me on a 2010 MBP. Even manually muting the sound before shutdown doesn't work.
yyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Did you not read the op? He doesn't want to mute the computer each time.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Pared3s
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyy View Post
Doesn't work for me on a 2010 MBP. Even manually muting the sound before shutdown doesn't work.
If you tried the terminal method above, you need to remove the "hooks" that you implemented. Otherwise, if you set it up incorrectly, this could cause it to always "unmute" before logging in thereby always keeping the startup chime on.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Check this out ... I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might do what you want:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/164...sound.prefpane
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:51 PM   #21
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post
Did you not read the op? He doesn't want to mute the computer each time.
I didn't see that part...sorry for trying to be helpful.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:07 PM   #22
GoreVidal
Banned

How about just plugging a 1/8" headphone jack of some sort on start up if you're trying to be stealthy. Like this?

GoreVidal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Pared3s
macrumors member

Quote:
Ok it is working here as I have restarted my MBP a few times to test it out. Did you check off the preferences pane?
Does Auto Mute "un-mute" the sound after a restart? In other words, does the sound level get restored to whatever level it was at when shutting down?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Pared3s
macrumors member

Quote:
No. Upon restarts the chime stays off until you change it in the prefs or you use the keyboard shortcut to do the same(Command F 10).
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't want to install it just to check that.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:16 AM   #25
yyy
macrumors regular

OK, I've figured out what the problem was: it turns out that when external speakers are plugged in to the MacBook, it's only possible to change the volume level of the external speakers while the chime sound always comes from the internal speakers.

What I did was to unplug the speakers, mute the the volume, then plug in the speakers again. Now there's no chime sound on startup and I didn't need to use any 3rd party app to do that.

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited by yyy; Jul 30, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
yyy is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro