Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sticko

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I clean install my macbook pro and others mac. I have many printer list installed on the old macbook. How can I transfer this to my new macbook?

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Came across this post as I was trying to figure it out myself, so I dug around and came up with what worked for me, so thought I'd post it here for those in the future who may wonder.

Grab the "cups" folder in /etc/ (invisible folder), compress (archive) and move to new Mac. Expand cups.zip, and copy the "ppd" folder and printers.conf file into /etc/cups/. The permissions will be wrong, so I copied the files into the "interfaces" folder (inside cups), got info, went to sharing/permissions, and choose "Apply to enclosed items..." on the bottom (gear symbol). Then copy the files back into cups folder. You'll have duplicates of the ppd folder and printers.conf file, so remove those.

Restart your computer and everything should show up, but you will need to reinstall the drivers as they will be missing. Go to Print & Scan in System Preferences and double-click on each printer to pop it up... the system will say that there are missing drives and will try to download them. It was successful for all except one, which I had to get from the company website (or CD) and install manually.

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.