Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
lobrien
macrumors newbie

Hardware Test on Mountain Lion?

I have an early-2008 Mac Pro that's developed more-and-more kernel panics. I pulled my 2nd graphics card (I've been having graphics glitches and thought it might be causing system-wide trouble) and thought it seemed more stable. I upgraded to Mountain Lion a few days ago but today my system is very unstable (crashed while sitting idle, has given me intermittent "flashing power light" problems when I've rebooted, etc.).

I have been trying to run the Apple Hardware Test but am not getting anywhere. I reboot with "D" held down and the system seems to just ignore it and "boots through" to the desktop. I've tried to boot from my original install disc (Snow Leopard) and when I hold down the D the screen goes black, shows what may be a cursor, and then ejects the disc and freezes.

Is there a new way to activate the Hardware Test? Barring that, is there any way to diagnose a hardware problem from the stacktraces in the system log? I don't want to throw good money after bad on a 4-year-old system and my local service shop charges $80 for a diagnostic, but what are they going to do that I can't?
lobrien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobrien View Post
I have an early-2008 Mac Pro that's developed more-and-more kernel panics. I pulled my 2nd graphics card (I've been having graphics glitches and thought it might be causing system-wide trouble) and thought it seemed more stable. I upgraded to Mountain Lion a few days ago but today my system is very unstable (crashed while sitting idle, has given me intermittent "flashing power light" problems when I've rebooted, etc.).

I have been trying to run the Apple Hardware Test but am not getting anywhere. I reboot with "D" held down and the system seems to just ignore it and "boots through" to the desktop. I've tried to boot from my original install disc (Snow Leopard) and when I hold down the D the screen goes black, shows what may be a cursor, and then ejects the disc and freezes.

Is there a new way to activate the Hardware Test? Barring that, is there any way to diagnose a hardware problem from the stacktraces in the system log? I don't want to throw good money after bad on a 4-year-old system and my local service shop charges $80 for a diagnostic, but what are they going to do that I can't?
I think you need to have the original software disc 1 labeled with hardware test instructions in drive. then turn off and restart holding the D key down. The machine will boot off of DVD into the test..
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
paross2
macrumors newbie

Same issue.

Not able to boot off the original disc, or snow leopard. My MacBook is early 2011 and since installing Mountain Lion (skipping Lion) my computer runs painfully slow, to the point I'm starting to suspect a bad HDD.

Any advice?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro