Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Prior to the upgrade to 10.8 I was able to successfully Facetime between my iMac, iPhone and iPad. Each one has the same AppleID, but a different receiving e-mail address.

I am able to successfully facetime from the iMac to iPhone and vice versa.

I am able to successfully facetime from the iPad to iPhone and vice versa.

But I am not able to facetime from the iPad to the iMac and vice versa. I am able to select the iMac's address. On the iMac it appears a tiny window showing myself (Viewed through the iMac camera) and simple says "(NULL)" and has no way of connecting.

If I try to facetime the iPad from the iMac it won't let me. It views the iPad's address as just an e-mail address and not an e-mail address with a camera icon next to it.

If I switch the iPad to the address I use on the iPhone...it then works. If I give the non-working address to my iPhone it has the same problem. It must be something to do with Apple not verifying the address maybe?

All three devices I am able to send iMessages between successfully. Each iMessage account using the same addresses for the Facetime.

I've tried logging out and logging in of everything. Nothing seems to fix it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Update: I used the iPad's address in Facetime on my Mac. It worked fine. It's as if the iPad when it's using that address doesn't work when calling the Mac.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Did a reinstall. Worked fine in 10.7.4 with all addresses. Same problem persists in 10.8.

It seems that if the e-mail address you are using as your Mac's address and it happens to also be the same address as your Apple ID...it causes this problem. But if you use the same address (which matches the Apple ID) on an iOS device it works.

So basically (For now maybe) make sure you use your non-apple ID e-mail on the mac you are using since it causes conflicts. Probably iMessage related and iCloud conflicts.

Last edited:

Peter33

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I have the same problem

I have exactly the same issue - only when OSX is involved and not when only between iOS devises. Do you know if there is more permanent solution? Because the current solution you mention basically means the if you FaceTime using mac and one of the email addresses is equal to your apple id you can't!

It seem a serious bug in OSX FaceTime. Did you report this to apple?

Thanks,
Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.