Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
I'm looking for a device that will allow me to connect my external harddrive to my router which does not have any USB slots (only ethernet ports). My intention is to make a pseudo-time capsule that will allow me to use time machine wirelessly.

I know I can by a Western Digital 2TB device for $129 that will serve this purpose and be a lot more storage, but I'm sure there is some way to do this more cheaply especially since I already have a Harddrive.

Suggestions?

hankdesign

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
I bought a refurbished Airport Extreme from Apple, then bridged the 2 and connected my 2gb Western Digital Hard drive to it. Works quite well. Good enough for me anyway. :D

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Get a new router or a Time Capsule.

Thanks. So all I need is a router with a usb port and I should be able to just plug in my harddrive and use it remotely for time machine? Would that allow me to also access files remotely from places other than my house?

something like this would work? http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=522110

I can always just leave my harddrive plugged in to my laptop, but it is just annoying that anytime I take my laptop somewhere, I have to either eject the disk or deal with a popup that says 'disk not ejected'..that's actually the main reason I want to have timemachine backup remotely.. so it just does so automatically without dealing with unplugging the harddrive..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.