Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulFranks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Hi MacRumors members. I'm kinda new at this Apple thing. I downloaded Mac keeper & then just found this.
Is this true?? If yeah, How do I remove this software app I just downloaded? I just got this Mac and dont want it to go bad :( Please Help!!

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Hi MacRumors members. I'm kinda new at this Apple thing. I downloaded MacKeeper & then just found this.
Is this true?? If yeah, How do I remove this software app I just downloaded? I just got this Mac and dont want it to go bad :( Please Help!!

No comment on if it's a scam or not, but the important part is you have a Mac now... You don't need garbage apps that clean up things for you. You don't need anti-virus software, you don't need to defrag.

Just uninstall this app with these instructions: http://help.mackeeper.zeobit.com/Manual/GettingStarted/UninstallingMacKeeper.html

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi MacRumors members. I'm kinda new at this Apple thing. I downloaded Mac keeper & then just found this.
You don't need MacKeeper, and yes, you should uninstall it. MacKeeper's uninstaller will leave things behind. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

With very few exceptions, you don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
any more updated info on this.. my parents decided it would be good their computer to have this (i should say my dad) even though I tell them repeatedly not to download things like these. Whats the deal with this? Is removing it with their uninstaller better then manually searching for it...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
any more updated info on this.. my parents decided it would be good their computer to have this (i should say my dad) even though I tell them repeatedly not to download things like these. Whats the deal with this? Is removing it with their uninstaller better then manually searching for it...
You definitely don't need MacKeeper or any such "maintenance" apps. Nothing has changed about that. As far as removing it, using the manual method is more thorough than their uninstaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.