Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

space53cadet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
I'm using my iPhone for serious phoneography and at any given time my phone has around 18,000 images.

I keep around 5GB of free space on my phone, therefore I'm regularly deleting 1000-2000 of the oldest photos as I take new ones. I need software that can help me easily delete the oldest photos and back-up the new ones.

I want to back-up these (only the new, un-backed-up) images as I take new shots and unfortunately I'm having a lot of trouble with Apple's Image Capture.. The first time it imports all the images, it works really well, but after that, it often doesn't find the recently backed up images and then makes duplicates of everything. (if I hit Import All) Sometimes a green tick is loaded next to previously imported images and then hitting Import All works really well and the app then only backs up all my latest shots and edits. I'm finding that 8 times out of 10 the app just makes duplicates which then need to be searched and deleted, then I need to manually find all the images that are new and back them up. I guess this is the safest way, but...

I was wandering if there was a professional standard app that only backs-up the un-baked-up photos? UPDATE: I just found Photo Downloader in my Adobe Master Collection, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone got any ideas for handling such large amounts of images from an iPhone?

//Update: Photo Downloader is not good since it needs every single photo selected individually. Yesterday I took 500+ photos, which makes this Adobe utility very inconvenient, and so I'm back to selecting groups of photos and importing them with Apple Image Capture.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.