Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey all,

Currently have my MBP backed up to a USB drive with Time Machine which I then keep at work so its offsite. I used to have a Time Capsule which died, and Time Machine backups wirelessly to my QNAP NAS were always corrupting so this is why I use USB.

Anyway, I'm a tool when it comes to forgetting to bring my USB home to backup each week, so I was wondering, can I have multiple TimeMachine backups on the go at once? And can I say have my full laptop backed up to my USB whenever I bring that home, and also have a TM backup to my NAS but just have this doing my iPhoto library for example as I don't have space for everything?

Thanks,

Andy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Mountain Lion will allow two Time Machine backups at once like you want, but it will backup the whole machine. If you just want to copy the iPhoto library to another drive, you will be better of with a sync utility of some sort like Carbon Copy Cloner.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Mountain Lion will allow two Time Machine backups at once like you want, but it will backup the whole machine. If you just want to copy the iPhoto library to another drive, you will be better of with a sync utility of some sort like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Would CCC just copy the changes to the iPhoto library each time (like if you show contents) or would it treat it as one big file and copy that every time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.