Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I've been spending a lot of time on this forum looking for a good alternative to the BookBook iPad case (v2), which I really love. It doesn't add a lot of bulk/size, it's very light, and offers good protection to the edges of the iPad, which many cases do not seem to do. Unfortunately, both cases I've received had one significant issue: the back of one of the snaps on each case (which rests against the back of the iPad) wasn't "finished" correctly, so that there was a ballpoint pen tip-sized protrusion that was pressing against the back of my iPad. (In one case, it was sticking out enough that it likely would cause a small dent over time.) For $80, that wasn't acceptable, and Amazon.com got tired of sending new ones to me. So, I'd like to find something similar.

I'm looking for a folio-style case that provides a couple of stand angles, protects and covers the edges of the ipad well (mine lives in my backpack or briefcase, and travels everywhere), and ideally doesn't add a lot of weight/size. I don't want to say that cost is no object, but I'm willing to pay for the right case. Right now I'm looking at the Pad & Quill Contega and the Booq Folio (leather version), and the Spigen Valentius. The Booq and Spigen cases really don't provide as much edge protection as I would like, and I'm not thrilled by the bulk of the Contega case and the reports that these Moleskine-style cases tend to warp/fail over time.

I realize I could get an Otterbox Defender and be done with in terms of protection, but I really would like something that looks nice and adds as little bulk as possible. The BookBook case would have been perfect but for the snap issue; it would have been better had it worked with the magnetic sleep/wake feature of the iPad, but I could live without that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize that there are a ton of "I need a case" threads on this forum, but I haven't quite found the right one yet in doing research here and on the web.

Many thanks!

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I've been spending a lot of time on this forum looking for a good alternative to the BookBook iPad case (v2), which I really love. It doesn't add a lot of bulk/size, it's very light, and offers good protection to the edges of the iPad, which many cases do not seem to do. Unfortunately, both cases I've received had one significant issue: the back of one of the snaps on each case (which rests against the back of the iPad) wasn't "finished" correctly, so that there was a ballpoint pen tip-sized protrusion that was pressing against the back of my iPad. (In one case, it was sticking out enough that it likely would cause a small dent over time.) For $80, that wasn't acceptable, and Amazon.com got tired of sending new ones to me. So, I'd like to find something similar.

I'm looking for a folio-style case that provides a couple of stand angles, protects and covers the edges of the ipad well (mine lives in my backpack or briefcase, and travels everywhere), and ideally doesn't add a lot of weight/size. I don't want to say that cost is no object, but I'm willing to pay for the right case. Right now I'm looking at the Pad & Quill Contega and the Booq Folio (leather version), and the Spigen Valentius. The Booq and Spigen cases really don't provide as much edge protection as I would like, and I'm not thrilled by the bulk of the Contega case and the reports that these Moleskine-style cases tend to warp/fail over time.

I realize I could get an Otterbox Defender and be done with in terms of protection, but I really would like something that looks nice and adds as little bulk as possible. The BookBook case would have been perfect but for the snap issue; it would have been better had it worked with the magnetic sleep/wake feature of the iPad, but I could live without that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize that there are a ton of "I need a case" threads on this forum, but I haven't quite found the right one yet in doing research here and on the web.

Many thanks!

Maroo and the Belkin Leather cinema folio both have rubber "bumpers" at the corner for drop protection and offer cinema style displays at multiple angles, although the fit and finish are probably not as nice as the Spigen. Check out my belkin video review.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I have the devicewear detour and it's pretty nice! It's a thinner version of the targus versavu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.