Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all

Just have a few questions about the conversion which is going to take place with iOS 6, would like to know if anyone could answer these for me...

1. When my @me.com email is converted to an @icloud.com email address will I still receive emails sent to my @me.com email address?

2. Is it possible to now use my @icloud.com email address as my primary apple ID? I am currently stuck with hotmail and would like to finally be rid of it.

Thanks

James

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hi all

Just have a few questions about the conversion which is going to take place with iOS 6, would like to know if anyone could answer these for me...

1. When my @me.com email is converted to an @icloud.com email address will I still receive emails sent to my @me.com email address?

2. Is it possible to now use my @icloud.com email address as my primary apple ID? I am currently stuck with hotmail and would like to finally be rid of it.

Thanks

James

1. Good question. I've assumed that we would be given like a year or so where the e-mails would just be forwarded, so we have time to inform everyone. This because far from everyone who installs iOS 6 will be aware of this change even being an issue, and people probably won't halt everything they're doing just to inform everyone of their change of e-mail address in the middle of an iOS update...

2. I've heard this argument before, but no one has really answered this question: what does it matter? You don't have to use that e-mail address to log on or do anything at all, just use your secondary e-mail address for everything and don't look at your Apple ID account information page :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple won't be doing away with .mac or MobileMe email addresses it would be to much hassle for them

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So when they said that username@me.com e-mail addresses will become username@icloud.com when switching to iOS 6, they were just trolling?

Obviously you didn't actually read the announcement. @icloud.com addresses are being added. Just like when they switched to @me.com, the previous address won't be dropped (can you imagine the outcry?), you'll simply be able to also receive mail at the new iCloud.com addresses. I have a @mac.com address that also works with @me.com, and will work with @icloud.com once my account gets "switched" to that. Apple would not drop email addresses that have been in use for years without a huge lead time, if at all, because they would instantly lose a lot of customers.

jW

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
1. Good question. I've assumed that we would be given like a year or so where the e-mails would just be forwarded, so we have time to inform everyone. This because far from everyone who installs iOS 6 will be aware of this change even being an issue, and people probably won't halt everything they're doing just to inform everyone of their change of e-mail address in the middle of an iOS update...

2. I've heard this argument before, but no one has really answered this question: what does it matter? You don't have to use that e-mail address to log on or do anything at all, just use your secondary e-mail address for everything and don't look at your Apple ID account information page :)

1. I think they will eventually do away with @me.com personally, I think the direction that they are going will be that every iOS device user all have @icloud.com email addresses.

2. The reason why I ask is because at present all my iTunes receipts and Mac App Store receipts go to my hotmail email address, thus forcing me to keep that address live, I think it would be much simpler if I could get rid of that email address for sake of simplicity....

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have access to both but all of my iTunes apps etc are all coded with my @me address will they let every user redownload all there content to change this? I doubt it

You're right. I re-read the information and it seems like I was mistaken... :eek:

----------

2. The reason why I ask is because at present all my iTunes receipts and Mac App Store receipts go to my hotmail email address, thus forcing me to keep that address live, I think it would be much simpler if I could get rid of that email address for sake of simplicity....

Really? I thought they went to the e-mail address with which you had logged on. I feel pretty silly now, did I get anything right in my previous post? ;)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
When Comcast changed from "@home.net" to "@comcast.net" that's when I got my first domain name and I've used it since (hosted at GMail for quite a while now).

They won't drop @me.com or @mac.com.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
1. I think they will eventually do away with @me.com personally, I think the direction that they are going will be that every iOS device user all have @icloud.com email addresses.

They will do away with @me.com for new signups. Every new user (once it goes live for the public) will have only an @icloud.com address. That's virtually guaranteed. As I said, however, they wouldn't dare get rid of the @me.com addresses for those who already have them.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.