Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge offers a summary of various tidbits of information it has learned about Apple's upcoming iOS devices.

In line with fresh claims from iMore about a September 12 media event to introduce the next-generaton iPhone and iPod nano as well as the "iPad mini" ahead of a September 21 launch for the iPhone, iLounge says that Apple will be ready to ship the new iPhone by mid-September and could launch the device during the third week of the month. Apple is also said to be working on a pair of official cases for the new iPhone, including one that is similar to the current bumper and a second that would have a "major impact" on accessory makers. The report speculates that the case may include some sort of stand, but it is unclear whether that it is based on any actual information.

As for the iPod touch and iPod nano, iLounge believes that a new iPod touch sharing similarities to the new iPhone such as a taller 4-inch display will be making an appearance at the same event, while evidence for a new iPod nano still remains scant. Rumors of revamped iPod touch and iPod nano models have indeed been circulating in recent weeks.

ipad_mini_mockup_iphone.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to an iPhone (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
Regarding the future of Apple's iPad line, iLounge claims that the new "iPad mini" will not be ready for launch alongside the new iPhone in late September and may instead launch in November. While iMore believes that the device will at least be introduced alongside the new iPhone, iLounge is unsure whether it will be included during the September media event or if Apple will hold a separate event for the device a bit later. Apple is also said to be developing versions of its Smart Cover and Smart Case for the smaller iPad.

Apple's fourth-generation full-size iPad is unsurprisingly said to be seeing a move to the smaller dock connector that will debut with the next-generation iPhone, but is also said to offer only "relatively modest" tweaks to the design while also seeing the addition of a rear microphone for better audio capture while shooting video or perhaps for noise cancellation purposes.

iLounge's source seems a bit unclear on the timing for a fourth-generation iPad launch, suggesting that it could come late this year alongside the iPad mini but agreeing that the timing seems unlikely. Consequently, speculation points to an iPad mini launch late this year, followed by an iPad update early next year in line with its traditional life cycle.

iLounge has proven fairly accurate with its rumors, pinpointing a thicker third-generation iPad shell and Apple's new Smart Case for the iPad.

Article Link: More Rumors of Late September iPhone Launch with Details on iPad Mini, 4th-Gen iPad

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And this couldn't be added to an update to the story posted just hours ago so as not to create 2 different discussions on the same topic ?

Mods : merge threads ? :D

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Not sure if this is exciting or boring... Ive had these features on android for 2 years.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Why would they release the Ipad 4 THIS year?

Those tweaks are only going to be the same as last years "Ipad 2 HD rumours".

I would laugh if the Iphone stays 3.5" and the Ipad mini doesn't show up. :p

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
So that's what they have been doing all this time, designing a new case that will stand up. No wonder the couldn't be bothered with coming up with a new decent design for the phone...

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004

Seems like the right time to introduce both a larger version of the iPhone and a smaller iPad. Larger Android phones are gaining traction and there several smaller tablets that undercuts the iPad significantly in price.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Seems like the right time to introduce both a larger version of the iPhone and a smaller iPad. Larger Android phones are gaining traction and there several smaller tablets that undercuts the iPad significantly in price.

I think they will be doing this for the next several years until the iPad and iPhone are the same exact size causing a wormhole to be created and transporting us to wherever that Star-Child from 2001 was.

luciferuk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Manchester, England
Gobsmacked this 'smaller iPad' rumour still has momentum

Steve already said; I quote

"This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps"

I'll eat my hat if this rumour goes anywhere...

There is no smaller iPad on the horizon....

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
My take on this.... If the iPad mini is real and getting released this year then we should start seeing part leaks at some point soon.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So now a 7" tablet is a great idea and a kickstand for a phone is revolutionary. I can't believe that no one else has ever done this. Next thing you know Google will be selling a 7" tablet and Android phones will have kickstands since everyone copies Apple.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009

Ever since the iPhone was released, we've had a rumor of a new iPhone mid-cycle. Now that the iPad is here, it seems those rumors have shifted to it. The rumor mill always claims we'll get an updated iPad mid-cycle. It's not happened yet, I don't see it happening now.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah

"This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps"

Then don't think of it as a small iPad, think of it as a large iPod Touch.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Steve Jobs said a lot things, among them that nobody reads anymore and nobody wants to watch video on a 3" screen.

If the WSJ said it's happening, it's happening.

I hear hats taste good smothered in cinnamon and sugar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.