Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Anyone have/use/carry one of these? I had a Spartan handed down from my dad but lost it years ago, and am about to order a black Swiss Champ which I've wanted for a decade for general around the house use.

Share your knives, stories, and thoughts on your Swiss Army knives.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I do. That is, I always use/carry one of these when abroad, and use them fairly often at home as they are useful.

I travel a lot, fairly frequently for pleasure, but more usually for work. My work related travels have frequently taken me to former war zones or countries where revolutions have occurred; thus, Swiss Army knives were on a list of things which we needed to bring with us - or, which it was recommended that we bring with us by our Government - when travelling abroad. When I was younger, I used to think they were a macho fetish, but I must admit that I have found them extraordinarily useful, especially when abroad in countries where basic facilities might be lacking.

Quite honestly, I have forgotten how many I have had over the years; some were stolen (including more than once from suitcases in transit to and from strange places); others, I have given as gifts to people who worked for me as interpreters and/or drivers (and, as gifts, they are much appreciated and cherished).

Oddest of all was an occasion which occurred a few years ago. I was travelling back to western Europe from Kyrgyzstan in central Asia in 2005 and we transited through Moscow. We had come from the Tien Shan mountains (where I was observing a presidential election shortly after an earlier revolution), travelled from a very remote (but stunningly beautiful) region, to the regional capital, then to Bishkek the national capital, then flew to Moscow to transfer to western Europe. In Moscow, the usual officious belts and laces drill occurred, as we, complete with hand luggage, boots in hands, trooped though various detectors.

Only when I was back home, unpacking my small rucksack, (which was my hand luggage), did I pause with considerable surprise as my hand encountered my Swiss Army Explorer knife in its neat little grey box. Moving so much at short notice, I had thrown everything into suitcases and bags, and had forgotten that I hadn't taken my Swiss Army knife out of the rucksack and tossed it into the suitcase which had been my intention. So, to my utter amazement, it travelled across two continents, happily stored in my hand luggage.....

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Yesterday I used the magnifying glass in mine to remove a bee sting from my wailing daughters foot. I wouldn't be without one in the house. Keep it in your 'man drawer' in the kitchen.* (Not nearly as exciting as the places that Scepticalscribes end up in - but hey ho...) I've also got a Leatherman in there - which again is surprisingly useful.

They make great presents for Dads at Christmas - it's far more satisfying using a shiny new Swiss Army knife to open up all those battery compartments for the kids than rooting about in a drawer for the philips screwdriver.

* I think all I need now is a beard, some white socks and a pair of sensible sandals... ;)

May 8, 2008
I have a 'mini' one I keep in my car for odd jobs. Surprisingly useful; I use it about once a week.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yesterday I used the magnifying glass in mine to remove a bee sting from my wailing daughters foot. I wouldn't be without one in the house. Keep it in your 'man drawer' in the kitchen.* (Not nearly as exciting as the places that Scepticalscribes end up in - but hey ho...) I've also got a Leatherman in there - which again is surprisingly useful.

They make great presents for Dads at Christmas - it's far more satisfying using a shiny new Swiss Army knife to open up all those battery compartments for the kids than rooting about in a drawer for the philips screwdriver.

* I think all I need now is a beard, some white socks and a pair of sensible sandals... ;)

Yes, I've used the magnifying glass (and bought that model, initially, on account of the magnifying glass to be able to check ballot papers), tweezers, scissors, blades - and yes, I use them at home surprisingly frequently. I always have one in my bedroom. And abroad, as I mentioned above, they are extremely useful.

I have a 'mini' one I keep in my car for odd jobs. Surprisingly useful; I use it about once a week.

Yes, agreed. They are very, very useful, and I would certainly use mine at least once a week.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have a mini swiss army knife on my keychain. I've done this for years and will continue to do it as I find it really useful to have a knife and small scissors always available.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
I used to carry one around - I think it was the Tinker. I now carry a Gerber/Leatherman. I find that I use the pliers way more than any other tool.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
My dad gave me my first swiss army knife at age 7. Two days later we made my first trip to the emergency room.....

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
My dad gave me my first swiss army knife at age 7. Two days later we made my first trip to the emergency room.....

and this was hopefully your last swiss army knife related accident?

I got my first one at the age of 8, just a small one, two years later I had a bigger one with tweezers and bottleopener. I have no idea, where it went.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
and this was hopefully your last swiss army knife related accident?

I got my first one at the age of 8, just a small one, two years later I had a bigger one with tweezers and bottleopener. I have no idea, where it went.

Haha yes it was. I've had minor cuts from other knives since but nothing that serious. My current knife is actually a Kershaw, not swiss army

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I was given my first Swiss Army Knife as a birthday present in 1969. I've since never been without one, my present knife is an Explorer.

Svend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I have the alox Pioneer in my pocket now. The alox Cadet is probably my favorite, though.
vn53960.jpg

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Bumping this.

In my OP I was all set to get a black Swiss Champ, however I got my Champ for free through credit card point redemption and all they had was red, so that was fine and I got that.

Then later on last year I picked up a black Classic SD but neglected to put it on my keyring so I lost it (which is odd since I never lose anything). Fast forward to this week and I decided to replace it when I noticed a Victorinox store at the Mall of America. Couple days later I picked up a Minichamp which is now on my keyring, and I couldn't keep myself out of the store and went back to get a blue Classic a couple days ago. Really don't have a use for the Classics since I've got the Champ for around the house and the Minichamp on my keyring, but at $20, who cares? The mini champ is definitely my favorite - so nice to have a scissors, a bottle opener, and a pen on my keychain all the time, it definitely gets daily use.

11865524685_d52cc5439d_c.jpg

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I always travel with one (if I am traveling long enough to take a checked bag). You never know what you may need it for. I mostly end up using the scissors on threads, or the knife on packaging. I actually repaired a sandal on a long trip with one.

I purchased my favorite one in Switzerland, on 'New Years 2012,' which happens to be the engraving I have on it. I also have an old one from Boy Scouts. I think they are the Tinker and Huntsman models, but I am not 100% sure. Have to have scissors!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I had one as a kid but I actually prefer a Leatherman product at this time. No knock on the knifes, great products but the Leatherman fits my needs better

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Well I went to the mall this morning to do some shopping and couldn't resist picking up another, this time a white classic…I swear I'm done now:

12156283995_47b2982b80_c.jpg

Like I said in the last purchase thread, I continue to be surprised by how Victorinox can continue to deliver a Swiss-made, high quality, no corners cut product for such an insanely cheap price (these classics are only $20 but can be found at REI for $15, and the MiniChamp goes for $50 but I got mine at REI for a mere $35). Full size champ is about $80.

I think in this day and age where we are consumed with technology and electronics, there is pride to be taken and pleasure to be found in a device that is purely mechanical; no updates, no obsolescence, no specs to be whored…just a well made, mechanical device that will likely outlive ourselves if cared for even halfways decently.

Reactions: pachyderm

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Love the Tinker. Mine got all gouged up in a motorcycle accident (may have saved some important parts) and then I lost it in the attic of a sturdy college building, probably to be found there in 100 years.

Gave the little one with scissors and a nail file to my wife who has had it for years and loves it.

I do also like the Leatherman knives. Extremely well made in the US. The pliers are hard to pass up. Do miss the tweezers though.

I did buy the Swiss Army vegetable knife, the kind with little notches on the side of the blade so slices of things don't stick to it so much. Thin without being flimsy, sharp and easy to sharpen. Nice rugged, if not very arty, handle. I think it is the 10" model. Reasonably priced compared to high end German and Japanese knives and not made in China.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Looking around my room, in a strange place (um, again, yes, in central Asia), I see that I seem to have acquired two Swiss Army 'Explorer' models. I like them, handy, useful, easily stashed away in a briefcase, (one of them) while the other resides on my desk in my room.

I also seem to have acquired the monster, the 'Grand' model - I bought that before returning to Bosnia for my third election there in two years in 1998 (a model that came with a strangely self-indulgent fork, for the wusses amongst us, in which company I can be counted as an honourable, venerable and most esteemed member, as well as a countless number of knives) - an extraordinarily well-equipped set of blades. The thing is fat, well-equipped, inviting; inexplicably, nobody ever stole it from me in the meantime, and I still seem to have it, fork, spoon, and everything else (I sometimes have to consult the detailed manual that came with it to remember what it contains).

During an extended spell in the Caucasus, a few years ago, a knife obsessed ex Gurkha officer (with whom I was quite friendly - we shared curry recipes), gave me a farewell gift of a Wenger knife (equipped with an adequate sufficiency of appropriate and lethal, blades; my farewell gift to him was several jars of curry paste, from Asian shops in western Europe, which I brought back from leave, an offering he received with whimpers of joy).

Anyway, while - most of the time - the Swiss Army knives are regarded (by me) relatively tranquilly, and accident free (cutting your nails while slightly inebriated - and, of course, missing - doesn't really count, to my mind, as something serious; plasters on digits can always be explained away relatively easily), the Wenger, regarded by my Gurkha ex-officer friend as 'much better than those Victorinox, because Wenger are real knives', led, most unfortunately, (while sober, worse still) to several sad encounters, most of which weren't even felt at the time, until one saw (with growing horror) the rubicund flow which followed (invariably, during a fatuous attempt to clean the damn thing).

When my Gurkha ex-officer friend enquired, enthusiastically, how I was getting on with his (lethal) offering, I lied (perhaps, the expression: "I was economical with the truth" might sound a bit better?) and informed him, with suave mendacity, 'brilliantly'. The Wenger sits in my bedroom, at home, in western Europe, and looks reproachfully at me when I return. "Take me out to play," it pleads. Hm. Maybe.

Now, I did allude to the cleaning issue, as, (aforementioned slicing of digits had occurred while said digits were trying to scrape fruit from the damned thing - which, yes, granted, did slice through everything as a hot blade is said to do to butter) and received the wonderful reply. "Oh, didn't I tell you? We always cleaned them by wiping them on a blade of grass." Right. Okay....I, um, hear you....

Last edited:

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
I have a Victorinox@Work knife

It's a knife with a USB stick as one of the tools

as a bonus the stick is removable for travelling on the plane or going in a court or wherever you should not carrying a knife

2 birds with 1 stone :)

fun fact

in the uk butterfly knives and switchblades are banned as "offensive weapons" however if you have one arm you are exempt from this rule :p

or, anyone can carry them, and if a police man comes, cut one of your arms off

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I carry this with me at all times. Great tool for anywhere and very solid build. Closest thing to Swiss Army Knife I own.

Attachments

• victorinox swiss army multitool.jpg
    victorinox swiss army multitool.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 283

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I carry a "classic" Leatherman on my belt and a Leatherman Style CS in my pocket. Mostly need them to slice open the occasional box/bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.