Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Upgraded to Mountain Lion today and right off the bat I noticed there's a scrolling bug in Safari 6 (at least for me). Anyone else notice anything similar?

The problem:
When I scroll through a long page in 'short bursts' with my Magic Mouse, once every 3 or 4 scrolls Safari skips an entire page ahead really fast. This is consistent behavior when using Safari, while it doesn't occur at all in Firefox.

Interesting though:
When I scroll using the Magic Mouse's 'momentum', this doesn't happen. Only when I keep my finger on the mouse when scrolling.

Hope this makes any sense.

Freeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
So Boys,

i know the answer! ;)

This behavior is not a bug...it's one of this great iOS/OS X - merger features.

You know this from your iOS Device. In long lists you scroll 3 times with your finger and than the list-speed scrolls like hell....

You can see this in the Calendar List view on your iOS Device.

Exact this behavior you have now also in OS X... if you have a Magic Trackpad or a Magic Mouse or a MacBook-Trackpad...

you scroll 3 times and than the scroll speed increase...

And i agree with you.... it's annoying... you want to scroll through a large webpage and suddenly .... the speed goes up....and your eyes can't catch the content anymore...

Not everything that comes from iOS is that good on OS X...

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
So Boys,

i know the answer! ;)

This behavior is not a bug...it's one of this great iOS/OS X - merger features.

You know this from your iOS Device. In long lists you scroll 3 times with your finger and than the list-speed scrolls like hell....

You can see this in the Calendar List view on your iOS Device.

Exact this behavior you have now also in OS X... if you have a Magic Trackpad or a Magic Mouse or a MacBook-Trackpad...

you scroll 3 times and than the scroll speed increase...

And i agree with you.... it's annoying... you want to scroll through a large webpage and suddenly .... the speed goes up....and your eyes can't catch the content anymore...

Not everything that comes from iOS is that good on OS X...

He said it only happens when he keeps his finger on the mouse, so it's not iOS-style scrolling momentum. It definitely sounds like a bug rather than a feature.

Freeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
He said it only happens when he keeps his finger on the mouse, so it's not iOS-style scrolling momentum. It definitely sounds like a bug rather than a feature.

try it by yourself.

I tried it and it's exact the same behavior like in iOS. Trust me!

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
I'm experiencing this too. It doesn't seem to be a "feature", as it only happens when I'm scrolling slowly while leaving my fingers on the trackpad. All of the sudden it just jumps super fast and I have to scroll back. It happens a lot on a site like Tumblr with the endless dashboard, which led me to believe it was something to do with javascript and loading extra content on scrolling. But it happens sometimes even on pages that aren't "endless" like the Tumblr dashboard.

kthrob

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
A little late....

Sorry I'm late guys, but if you haven't found the answer...... It's in system prefs, Accessibility- Mouse and trackpad, options. SCROLLING WITH INERTIA. Disable, then reenable. Done. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.