Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may have just released OS X Mountain Lion, moving more than three million units in four days, but that doesn't mean it's done updating the prior version, OS X Lion 10.7.

NewImage36.png

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple has seeded new versions of OS X Lion 10.7.5 in both server and standard versions to developers. The betas have a build number of 11G30.

Apple also released a new beta of the iCloud Control Panel for Windows, which adds support for Shared Photo Stream and several other items.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Lion 10.7.5 Beta Build 11G30 to Developers

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
I wonder what the fixes are.

One would be to allow Mountain Lion to work on 2008 Macs. I put it on my 2008 and it made it slow as molasses. Wiped out Outlook 2011, never would work. Words files were painfully slow.

I went back to 10.7

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
So they can take the time to write an iCloud Control Panel for Windows that runs on Vista, but they can't patch 10.6 to use iCloud services and scrub MobileMe references... WTF?!

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
So they can take the time to write an iCloud Control Panel for Windows that runs on Vista, but they can't patch 10.6 to use iCloud services and scrub MobileMe references... WTF?!

Windows users can't buy Lion/Mountain Lion OS upgrades. Mac users can. If you want iCloud, go here.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Remember..some people can't update to ML, (older mac's)....

Nice that apple isn't just abandoning those users.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary. Microsoft stopped providing updates for Windows XP after 8 years, 8 months, and 18 days (07/13/10). I doubt that Apple has the same record here. Okay, granted, there are more security issues with XP but that is in part due to the widespread adoption. If MacOS would be that widespread, hackers would rather try to attack that. But actually, the emergency updates for malware weren't stopped back then, it was only the support.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Windows users can't buy Lion/Mountain Lion OS upgrades. Mac users can. If you want iCloud, go here.

Sure they can buy Lion/Mountain Lion. By your logic, shouldn't Windows users just buy a Mac if they want to use iCloud?

Frankly, anyone who has the option to dump an OS as bad as Lion and doesn't take it, is a fool in my book.

Im definitely with you on that but for a lot of us who would love to upgrade to ML just cant afford to buy a new Mac just to run some software that isnt that vastly different from Lion yet Apple has chosen to lock out those users. Lets hope the update sorts out all the performance issues and alike for those that have Lion. Fair play to Apple if it does.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Im definitely with you on that but for a lot of us who would love to upgrade to ML just cant afford to buy a new Mac just to run some software that isnt that vastly different from Lion yet Apple has chosen to lock out those users. Lets hope the update sorts out all the performance issues and alike for those that have Lion. Fair play to Apple if it does.

Agreed on that, it's a shame that perfectly good 64 bit machines have been dumped.

Specifically I was referring to people who have machines that are supported on ML who stick with Lion.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Frankly, anyone who has the option to dump an OS as bad as Lion and doesn't take it, is a fool in my book.

What's better again in ML? I have no problems with Lion...and please don't come with iOS crap. Other than AirPlay Mirroring (for limited things) and decreased Radeon performance, what else is there? Virtually nothing.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Agreed on that, it's a shame that perfectly good 64 bit machines have been dumped.

Specifically I was referring to people who have machines that are supported on ML who stick with Lion.
Well, once more we have the round of threads hacking together support at worst or just outsmarting the installer checks Mountain Lion makes at best.

The name for the Beige G3/after market processor hack escapes me but it sure was catchy!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
What's better again in ML? I have no problems with Lion...and please don't come with iOS crap. Other than AirPlay Mirroring (for limited things) and decreased Radeon performance, what else is there? Virtually nothing.

People have been pointing out the benefits of ML for months, if people are going to ignore that there's no real response.

Well, once more we have the round of threads hacking together support at worst or just outsmarting the installer checks Mountain Lion makes at best.

The name for the Beige G3/after market processor hack escapes me but it sure was catchy!

Definitely appealing, especially for early Mac Pro users.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Sure they can buy Lion/Mountain Lion. By your logic, shouldn't Windows users just buy a Mac if they want to use iCloud?

$999 to get iCloud functionality isn't an easy pill to sell compared to $19.99.

iOS/iCould support was promised to Windows Vista/7 users. On OS X, iOS/iCloud support was promised to Lion or newer users.

Apple is making good on these promises. Thats all.

barberio

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
8-year-old Vista machines are supported by iCloud, but 6-year-old Snow Leopard machines (that cannot upgrade to Lion or above) cannot.

The important thing to remember is that iCloud is not a free service.

The subscription to iCloud comes as part of the price of a hardware device you purchased from Apple, qualifying hardware being all Apple computing devices capable of running OS X 10.7 or iOS 5 and greater. Windows users can not create iCloud accounts they can only access ones already created from qualifying apple hardware.

To get what you apparently want Apple would have to create seperate software for OS X 10.6 that, like the Windows software, could only access pre-existing iCloud accounts and not create them. Which would be confusing, and conflict with iCloud's principle revenue generation of selling hardware.

Conversely, Apple weren't going to say "You must run Windows 7 to install this client", and encourage people to buy a new OS from Microsoft.

The current Apple business plan, is that Hardware purchases get you a 'subscription' to OS enabled services. That's why each new OS is now priced at what is basically an administration and accounting fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.