Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levendis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I recently bought a new iMac and also upgraded to Mountain Lion. Now within ML, Notes is a separate app no longer connected with Mail. I tried to sync my iPod Touch via iTunes but it doesn't work. This was working well with Snow Leopard and Lion OSX but it isn't working with ML. I'm not interested in using iCloud at the moment and I just want to sync using iTunes and have Notes running the same on my iPod touch as on my iMac. By the way, it doesn't work either way, meaning whether I create a Note on iPod or on iMac, it won't sync with each other... Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Kalkas

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, I have the same problem. I do not want to use iCloud, and do not see how it is possible to sync notes without iCloud. I used to sync notes between my iMac and iPhone using iTunes. It seems that this is not possible in ML.

I have sent a feedback to Apple about this issue.

Last edited:

harireddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Notes not syncing with iPhone via iTunes

with mountain lion, i am unable to sync Notes to my iphone through itunes.
i dont prefer to use icloud. please help

perdos

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Notes Synching in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

While iCloud might have been 99% of the reason jnl1211 “updated” to Mountain Lion, it was 0% of the reason I “updated” - different strokes. I “updated” mostly because the move from Address Book to Contacts would address incompatibilities between Bento and Address Book and it made sense to have the same structure across platforms (Macs, iPhone, iPad) for that app, so long as I could continue to sync thru iTunes. I also like the notifications panel that I can hide or unhide. I am less happy with Apple’s sandboxing efforts and I will NEVER put any personal information in anybody’s cloud, to include iCloud.

The issue is far larger than the simple problem with Notes; it is a question of Apple moving in a direction where they can dictate exactly how we can live our lives since so much of what we do these days is done on computers. I like having options so I wouldn’t have objected to Apple’s adding a cloud synching option but they needed to maintain an iTunes or wi-fi synching option as well.

As far as the Notes app is concerned I have moved all the notes I had on the Notes app before Mountain Lion to SOHO Notes from Chronos (they have iPad and iPhone versions as well that will sync via wi-fi) and will likely use Terminal to remove Apple’s Notes app from my computer - Apple has increased its efforts to keep its customers from having any control over their computing experience (hiding the ~/Library and restricting the ability to move apps like Grab, Chess, or Image Capture to places that make sense for us). All of these restrictions can, so far, be overcome using the Terminal app but I have been reading rumors that Apple may not include Terminal in future updates to the OS in an effort to keep their customers from making any changes to what Apple has dictated.

I liked the Notes app but I won’t allow Apple to force me into their cloud. I initially moved from the Windows platform I was using to the Mac when Apple introduced OS X because the first OS I had ever used was NextSTEP/OpenSTEP and I loved it. As some of you may know, OS X was NextSTEP/OpenSTEP brought into the Mac world (with some modifications). I tend to practice brand loyalty but loyalty is a two-way street. The company needs to be loyal to its customer base which means providing the options its customers want and not trying to dictate what its customers must do. There was a reason for moving from Microsoft to Apple but, if Apple continues to move in this Orwellian direction, becoming more and more like Microsoft, I may need to think about moving to Linux and putting Apple in my rear-view mirror along with Microsoft. Who knows, maybe Palm Inc. will bring back into the fold Jean-Louis Gassée and make the BeOS a viable competitor?

Last edited:

Bumbleboo

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
iPod Address Book not syncing?

While iCloud might have been 99% of the reason jnl1211 “updated” to Mountain Lion, it was 0% of the reason I “updated” - different strokes. I “updated” mostly because the move from Address Book to Contacts would address incompatibilities between Bento and Address Book and it made sense to have the same structure across platforms (Macs, iPhone, iPad) for that app, so long as I could continue to sync thru iTunes. I also like the notifications panel that I can hide or unhide. I am less happy with Apple’s sandboxing efforts and I will NEVER put any personal information in anybody’s cloud, to include iCloud.

The issue is far larger than the simple problem with Notes; it is a question of Apple moving in a direction where they can dictate exactly how we can live our lives since so much of what we do these days is done on computers. I like having options so I wouldn’t have objected to Apple’s adding a cloud synching option but they needed to maintain an iTunes or wi-fi synching option as well.

.....but I have been reading rumors that Apple may not include Terminal in future updates to the OS in an effort to keep their customers from making any changes to what Apple has dictated.

I initially moved from the Windows platform I was using to the Mac when Apple introduced OS X because the first OS I had ever used was ............ if Apple continues to move in this Orwellian direction, becoming more and more like Microsoft, I may need to think about moving to Linux and putting Apple in my rear-view mirror along with Microsoft. Who knows, maybe Palm Inc. will bring back into the fold Jean-Louis Gassée and make the BeOS a viable competitor?

I entirely agree with you, you make sound sense and like you I want to keep my own control over how i handle my data and not be dictated to!

I came to this section because i was looking for an answer to my ipod problem whereby syncing with my MacBook pro (updated to Mountain Lion) has failed to sync my Address Book. My contacts in my Address Book on the Mac are secure but on syncing thru iTunes no contacts show up. The address book on the iPod is completely blank! I have tried every way possible to sync and other Apps like Photos and Music are OK but my important Address Book remains blank with no contacts! I use my iPod as a back up for addresses because it is handy and small to use without firing up or taking my computer with me. I can't understand what the problem could be and wonder whether anyone out there has some ideas? I've also ticked the option to replace all Contacts on the iPod from the computer. Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.