Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh
So I installed ML on day one like every other Mac nerd. And its been mostly flawless and I love it.

However I am having a full system crash occasionally when I close the computer and it goes to sleep for a long period of time. For example last night, I was working and then when I finished, I closed the lid of my laptop and left it plugged in to charge.

This morning when I opened it to use it, i received an error that my computer needs to shutdown. I looked over the crash report but its all mumbo jumbo to me. Something makes me think its a app as I always have Chrome running but also I have running Sparrow, Fantasical, dropbox (experimental build for ML), Mail, Chrome Beta and Chrome Canary, & tweetbot.

I've been using Mac fro 2.5 years and have never had any issues like this. So my questions are:

Has anyone else experienced these crash when waking from sleep ( never happened in Lion, i do have a Crucial M4 install and 8gb kingston Ram)

Could an imcompatible app cause this issue, if so is there away to find out whats causing it?

Could it be caused by my Crucial M4 w/ TRIM turned on tho i never had any issues with Lion?

Any help would be huge

vladster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
So I installed ML on day one like every other Mac nerd. And its been mostly flawless and I love it.

However I am having a full system crash occasionally when I close the computer and it goes to sleep for a long period of time. For example last night, I was working and then when I finished, I closed the lid of my laptop and left it plugged in to charge.

This morning when I opened it to use it, i received an error that my computer needs to shutdown. I looked over the crash report but its all mumbo jumbo to me. Something makes me think its a app as I always have Chrome running but also I have running Sparrow, Fantasical, dropbox (experimental build for ML), Mail, Chrome Beta and Chrome Canary, & tweetbot.

I've been using Mac fro 2.5 years and have never had any issues like this. So my questions are:

Has anyone else experienced these crash when waking from sleep ( never happened in Lion, i do have a Crucial M4 install and 8gb kingston Ram)

Could an imcompatible app cause this issue, if so is there away to find out whats causing it?

Could it be caused by my Crucial M4 w/ TRIM turned on tho i never had any issues with Lion?

Any help would be huge

I had an issue when after resume my keyboard didn't work at all. So I couldn't type in the password. Even CAPS key light wouldn't work. But this is not reproducible.

I typically change "Sleep" to "Deep Sleeep" at my computers, but this mode doesn't work on my MBP - goes into sleep, but can't restore - hangs before it reaches login screen. And this is reproducible each time.

juliancates

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012

Any help would be huge

Yes, both my coworker and myself, who have 2011 i7 MBP's with 16GB are having this issue as well. It doesn't crash EVERY time, but it crashes often. I've sent the crash reports in to Apple every time. I've not been using Chrome since upgrading to ML, so doubt that is it. The SSD in the system is an Apple factory SSD, although I do have an Optibay installed with a 500GB SATA drive. Software-wise, I'm generally always running Fusion and Adium.

juliancates

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Yes, both my coworker and myself, who have 2011 i7 MBP's with 16GB are having this issue as well. It doesn't crash EVERY time, but it crashes often. I've sent the crash reports in to Apple every time. I've not been using Chrome since upgrading to ML, so doubt that is it. The SSD in the system is an Apple factory SSD, although I do have an Optibay installed with a 500GB SATA drive. Software-wise, I'm generally always running Fusion and Adium.

OK, found it. It's a Bluetooth bug:

http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth

I can get it to repeatedly crash upon sleepign if I do one of the following:

* Turn off the trackpad after the laptop has gone to sleep
* Uncheck the "allow bluetooth devices to wake..." option

It does NOT crash if I do one of the following before sleeping:

* Turn off the trackpad
* Turn off bluetooth altogether on the laptop

Don't like it, but at least there's a workaround. Hoping Apple will fix and issue a software update soon.

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh

http://blog.avatron.com/post/28135386805/kernel-panics-mountain-lion-and-bluetooth

* Turn off the trackpad

Don't like it, but at least there's a workaround. Hoping Apple will fix and issue a software update soon.

Im gonna try this. Bluetooth seems to be sketchy in general as I tried to play my audio through my Bose SoundLink Speaker Dock and the audio was sped up about 3x to 4x faster than the audio should have been and it was really low quality. I imagine it get fixed soon.

**EDIT*** Just did this and was able to duplicate the issue like you said. Ill probably just remember to turn off the mouse before sleeping until a software update fixes it.

I am just glad it was not my SSD or any apps.

Last edited:

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Wow! My iMac crashes quite a bit every since I bought it back in December. It drives me crazy. But it tends to crash only when the computer is in sleep mode (at least most of the time anyway), and when I shutdown or restart the computer. Then it might be stuck in the gray screen. I called AppleCare numerous times, and they never have an answer for me other then telling me that it may be due to 3rd party devices. Glad I came across this forum because the crash behavior is exactly what I've dealing with in Lion, and now ML. I'm surprised AppleCare isn't aware of this. I have a BT wireless keyboard and trackpad. I really hope that apple will admit that there's something wrong with the Bluetooth, and fix it ASAP. In the meantime, I'll just turn off my bt devices before the computer goes to sleep. Who knows when Apple will fix it.

Thank you for fixing my 8 months mystery :)

levous

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Wow! My iMac crashes quite a bit every since I bought it back in December. It drives me crazy. But it tends to crash only when the computer is in sleep mode (at least most of the time anyway), and when I shutdown or restart the computer. Then it might be stuck in the gray screen. I called AppleCare numerous times, and they never have an answer for me other then telling me that it may be due to 3rd party devices. Glad I came across this forum because the crash behavior is exactly what I've dealing with in Lion, and now ML. I'm surprised AppleCare isn't aware of this. I have a BT wireless keyboard and trackpad. I really hope that apple will admit that there's something wrong with the Bluetooth, and fix it ASAP. In the meantime, I'll just turn off my bt devices before the computer goes to sleep. Who knows when Apple will fix it.

Thank you for fixing my 8 months mystery :)

Just a tip as my iMac crashed frequently until I finally went on a hunch and replaced the memory dimms. I had installed Mushkin RAM when I purchased the iMac - apple certified, no less. That memory checked out with memtest repeatedly. Apple ran their diagnostics and no issues reported. I purchased 4 8G sticks of Corsair Vengeance with Amazon Prime and their excellent return policy, expecting to continue to crash and send it back, but the crashes are GONE! Its an easy, no risk diagnostic solution that you an try if your iMac has RAM other than what was installed by Apple (or even if it was). The RAM I removed is working fine in a MacBook Pro. go Figure.

emilevd

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Switching of bluetooth worked

* Turn off the trackpad

Thank you for this solution! Have a samsung 840 pro since a week and was searching for the for ever sleep problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.