Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rangen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Last year when Lion came out, I upgraded from SL on day one. Performance was terrible by comparison. Battery life on my MacBook Pro was shocking. A day later I did a clean install, and it solved all my problems.

This year, I upgraded from Lion to ML, on day one, and although not terrible, performance wasn't the same. Today i've done a clean install, and it is faster and more stable than Snow Leopard or Lion ever was on a clean install.

Take it as you want, but this is my experience. And I'd advise you to do it.

(all of the above relates to a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.53 8GB)

NB: I'm the kind of user who cleans as I go. I keep my Mac in good order constantly, so the upgrade process didn't on either occasion face a challenging, cruft engulfed OS.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I find it interesting that some users find significant improvements when going for a clean install.

I've opted for an upgrade every time on all 3 MacBook Pros I've had over the years and never had a reduction in performance or any issues. My current Mac has had Snow Leopard, Lion and now Mountain Lion installed via the upgrade path and is running as fast as it was on day one.

While I don't deny that some people may experience a benefit from using clean installs (for whatever reason), I believe that the majority will have no issues with upgrades.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I think most people do a clean install and then restore with TM, making it pointless. I just upgraded and every thing is dandy!

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Mountain Lion has been the best upgrade for my Macbook. My recommendation is to max out your RAM in an older machine.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I went with the clean install because I like getting rid of the junk I don't use anymore. I just take my documents and media files with me and the rest is scrapped.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Upgrading OSes is NEVER a good idea. Clean install is always preferred.

Except by Apple, of course. Probably why they eliminated it as part of their installers ;) .

I've done both types a whole bunch of times, and I don't think it matters. If you are aware of what is running on your computer, you can sit there and directly compare. The fact that there's some old unused files sitting somewhere doesn't change anything, except for maybe some indexing. And with a clean install you redo Spotlight anyway.

What I do see is people on this forum who screw up "clean" installs, and since it involves reformatting a drive and relying on a backup that may or may not have some integrity, it's a bit chancy.

I'll buy the clean install voodoo the day I see someone post the results of software x performing y task before and after the clean install, and seeing it work better.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Sorry, but I would disagree with this assessment
I am sure you have your reasons, but many folks, myself included have upgraded their OS with no ill effects or performance degradation whatsoever
Whatever makes you sleep better i guess. Every time I have done an upgrade (usually out of haste) the machine(s) have run like poop. Once I wiped the drive and performed a clean install they always run much better. Don't buy the hype, Apple has people upgrade because it is EASIER not better. It's funny how they preach restoring iPhones and iPads and setting them up as new (essentially a clean install) but on the desktop OS they make everyone 'upgrade'.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
As freedevil says, almost everyone who does a 'clean install' then uses Time Machine to restore their system, thus putting back all the files they removed ...

I too will believe in the benefit when I see some upgrade-vs-clean-install benchmarks for the same machine.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I can't imagine a single legit technical reason a computer would run slower due to an upgrade, or conversely, faster on a clean install

The logic just isnt there.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Disagree. I did a clean install to clean everything out and not put back useless crap, and it has bitten me in the ass. Aside from having a new home directory recreated on every reboot, the computer will randomly restart itself about five times a day. The finder and dock will also randomly restart themselves throughout the day.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
My 2009 MBP is noticeably faster after the upgrade.

I used to think that clean installs were the way to go, but the Mac OS has improved significantly as it relates to extension management, third-party drivers, etc. So I've seen less and less of a reason to wipe and reinstall everything. However, if everything was laggy on my Mac, I'd definitely start fresh... it's just that I haven't had to do that since Jaguar.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I had a couple questions about a clean install (original thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1414987/)

Basically, if a Mac is having bizarre problems (App Store has display glitches, sluggishness, Safari simply doesn't work and requires restart), will restoring from a backup most likely just transfer those problems with it after a clean install?

And if restoring from a Lion-based Time Machine backup is okay to do on a Mountain Lion-running machine?

rosschang

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
I'll add another thumbs up for the clean install advocate :)

Coming from someone who like to fiddle a lot with settings, 3rd party SW, try-ware etc etc. :rolleyes:

Oh, yea, Zee old Windows habbit die hard... :p

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Well, its the best upgrade without wipe i 've ever done on a computer.

So much better than windows. I remember XP to VIsta took over 6 hours to install and migrate everything. Vista to 7 took almost 4 hours.

SL to ML? 25 minutes :D

And i have more data and a slower HD than my old junk!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.