Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:30 PM   #1
nicorojas
macrumors member

so...i'm selling my powerbook and I need to transfer my files and preferences

...but I'm buying a new one (so don't worry)

The thing is I'm leaving for NYC to study an LL.M. at Columbia, so I sold my current powerbook in my country where I can get more money (you would not believe apple prices here), and I will buy a new one on arrival.

I have three questions for you guys: One. I pretty much like to maintain my exact same configuration and preferences. I have a LaCie external HDD that will go with me. Which files or folders I should copy on?

Two. Which would be the best way to completely clean my powerbook? I have the original restore discs (with panther), but I have a Tiger upgrade DVD (which I bought from a friend whose iBook was stolen two weeks ago...).

I would like to deliver it with Tiger... did I have to use at all the restore dvd?

Three. Can I buy a BTO Powerbook at an Apple Store? or do I have to do it through the website? I would be needing a new book almost immediately and I want a superdrive and a spanish keyboard.

any help would be greatly appreciated...
nicorojas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:16 PM   #2
pulsewidth947
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorojas
One. I pretty much like to maintain my exact same configuration and preferences. I have a LaCie external HDD that will go with me. Which files or folders I should copy on?

Two. Which would be the best way to completely clean my powerbook? I have the original restore discs (with panther), but I have a Tiger upgrade DVD (which I bought from a friend whose iBook was stolen two weeks ago...).

I would like to deliver it with Tiger... did I have to use at all the restore dvd?

Three. Can I buy a BTO Powerbook at an Apple Store? or do I have to do it through the website? I would be needing a new book almost immediately and I want a superdrive and a spanish keyboard.

any help would be greatly appreciated...
1 - Probably best to copy your whole Home folder. Even better use some software like
SuperDuper to do that for you. Just to be on the safe side (and uber-paranoid), i'd also burn the very very important stuff onto CD/DVD just incase

2 - Start doing a fresh install of Tiger, then when it gets to the personalisation stage, switch your Mac off. Now when the person that buys the PB gets it, it'll be like its a brand new Mac.

3 - I'm pretty sure BTO have to be ordered either thru the store or the website.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs