Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicorojas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2003
Chile
...but I'm buying a new one (so don't worry) :cool:

The thing is I'm leaving for NYC to study an LL.M. at Columbia, so I sold my current powerbook in my country where I can get more money (you would not believe apple prices here), and I will buy a new one on arrival.

I have three questions for you guys: One. I pretty much like to maintain my exact same configuration and preferences. I have a LaCie external HDD that will go with me. Which files or folders I should copy on?

Two. Which would be the best way to completely clean my powerbook? I have the original restore discs (with panther), but I have a Tiger upgrade DVD (which I bought from a friend whose iBook was stolen two weeks ago...).

I would like to deliver it with Tiger... did I have to use at all the restore dvd?

Three. Can I buy a BTO Powerbook at an Apple Store? or do I have to do it through the website? I would be needing a new book almost immediately and I want a superdrive and a spanish keyboard.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
nicorojas said:
One. I pretty much like to maintain my exact same configuration and preferences. I have a LaCie external HDD that will go with me. Which files or folders I should copy on?

Two. Which would be the best way to completely clean my powerbook? I have the original restore discs (with panther), but I have a Tiger upgrade DVD (which I bought from a friend whose iBook was stolen two weeks ago...).

I would like to deliver it with Tiger... did I have to use at all the restore dvd?

Three. Can I buy a BTO Powerbook at an Apple Store? or do I have to do it through the website? I would be needing a new book almost immediately and I want a superdrive and a spanish keyboard.

any help would be greatly appreciated...
1 - Probably best to copy your whole Home folder. Even better use some software like
SuperDuper to do that for you. Just to be on the safe side (and uber-paranoid), i'd also burn the very very important stuff onto CD/DVD just incase :)

2 - Start doing a fresh install of Tiger, then when it gets to the personalisation stage, switch your Mac off. Now when the person that buys the PB gets it, it'll be like its a brand new Mac.

3 - I'm pretty sure BTO have to be ordered either thru the store or the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.