Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1
tucker61
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
ipad mini or nexus 7

I know this is a iPad forum, so comments might be biased. However. I have had a iPod touch for 3 years, which now has a smashed screen. Just bought a android phone. And was looking at upgrading my iPod to a nexus 7. (cost approx 170)

Cant decide on if to wait longer and order the mini iPad.

Will it have 2 cameras. Will it be dearer than nexus? will processing power and graphics be better ? What other benefits will I get ?

Thanks in advance.
tucker61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
The good thing of staying within Apple Eco system is you can reuse already bought apps and content easy on the new iPad mini. If you have such.

If you willing to scrap those and you have already an android a nexus is also feasible.

We don't have any details about cameras, CPU, speed etc. only rumors. I would expect same performance as iPad2.

I would wait for the mini; maybe mid of September we know more on specs.
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
still trying to fix my flux capacitor, ill let ya know though what this ipad mini has in store for us when i do.
BFizzzle is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
The good thing of staying within Apple Eco system is you can reuse already bought apps and content easy on the new iPad mini.
It's the same with Android. In fact all of my Apps from my Kindle Fire are easily transported to my other Android tablet. Also all of my Galaxy Tab apps are available for the Nexus 7.

To answer the OP's question go with the Nexus 7 because it's real and the iPad Mini is just rumor and speculation. If bought were available then it's a preference sort of thing.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
To answer the OP's question :
42

42 days until the (rumored) introduction day of iPad Mini.

Going with a Nexus is fine for me, too. One guy less in the line

time to move to the new alternative sub forum ?
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Dun Properly
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
It's the same with Android. In fact all of my Apps from my Kindle Fire are easily transported to my other Android tablet. Also all of my Galaxy Tab apps are available for the Nexus 7.

To answer the OP's question go with the Nexus 7 because it's real and the iPad Mini is just rumor and speculation. If bought were available then it's a preference sort of thing.
I returned my Nexus 7 and bought an Ipad because the Android Market is terrible compared to the App Store. I liked the 7" screen, but there is absolutely no comparison between the apps tailored specifically for tablets. The Android market is severely lacking in that department.

Owning the Nexus 7 was like owning a Porsche 911, but I wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood.
Dun Properly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Hard to compare them since the iPad mini hasn't been announced or released.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:51 AM   #8
tucker61
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Hope the Mini Ipad has a flux Capacitor. That will make things a lot easier.

I have 226 apps for the ipod, of which 67 are compatible with the current Ipad. I have approx 12 apps for my android phone.

I do think that the IOS apps are better develope than the android apps, But i do like the way that android has widgetts on the home screen.

I also use rarely use facetime, and Imessage.

Currently i think i will cancel my Nexus order, and wait a few more weeks to see what is announced.
tucker61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:55 AM   #9
docprego
macrumors 6502a
 
docprego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dun Properly View Post
I returned my Nexus 7 and bought an Ipad because the Android Market is terrible compared to the App Store. I liked the 7" screen, but there is absolutely no comparison between the apps tailored specifically for tablets. The Android market is severely lacking in that department.

Owning the Nexus 7 was like owning a Porsche 911, but I wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood.
Profoundly accurate.

Every attempt I have made to enter the Android ecosystem comes to an abrupt halt due to this. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that the Android market, at least as far as tablet optimized apps go, is woefully lacking.

To make matters worse there isn't even a way to easily identify those tablet specific apps that do exist. All apps are thrown together in one confusing mess of a "Play Store", so much so that third party apps exist with the sole purpose being to identify tablet apps. What were they thinking? And while I'm at it, whose idea was it to rename the "Android Market" (good name) to the ridiculous "Play Store"?
docprego is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dun Properly View Post
Owning the Nexus 7 was like owning a Porsche 911, but I wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood.

LOL. Great analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
Hope the Mini Ipad has a flux Capacitor. That will make things a lot easier.

I have 226 apps for the ipod, of which 67 are compatible with the current Ipad. I have approx 12 apps for my android phone.

I do think that the IOS apps are better develope than the android apps, But i do like the way that android has widgetts on the home screen.

I also use rarely use facetime, and Imessage.

Currently i think i will cancel my Nexus order, and wait a few more weeks to see what is announced.
Waiting to mid-September is ideal. As much as I like the price of the Nexus 7 I know that Android on tablets is just not up to the level of the iPad and an iPad mini would suit me perfectly.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
Currently i think i will cancel my Nexus order, and wait a few more weeks to see what is announced.
Good idea, at least that way you know what's out there instead of potentially having a Nexus 7 and some buyer's remorse.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:09 AM   #12
IXDoubleDXI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
I just picked up a Nexus 7 about a week and a half ago and sold my iPad 2 last night. Only reason I sold the iPad was because I'm majorly banking on the iPad Mini to actually be real. I got the Nexus, basically free, for trading in a bunch of old iPods not being used to Gamestop. So since i'll be messing with that for a while, I figured I'd cash out as much as I could on the iPad 2 now, before the Mini gets announced, lowering the value of the iPad 2 (bought refurbed for $349, sold for $300, so i spent $49 to rent an iPad 2 for 4 months). If the Mini doesn't come out, i'll be ok with the Nexus 7.
IXDoubleDXI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #13
BluePhoenixRa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Been playing with the Nexus 7 for about 2 days now, cause I wanted to try Android again (and a 7" tablet). But, I prefer iOS still.
  • Because of lack of apps. On top of that, lack of well optimized tablet apps.
  • You need a third party app just to take pictures using the front-facing camera.
  • As said above, the "Play Store" (Market sounded so much better) lacks categorization. i downloaded apps that were not meant for tablets and they look so awkward.
  • IMO: Apps feel much faster in iOS than Android. Though they can be at par on some apps!

I might be wrong here, so correct me if I am:
  • Notifications is very different than iOS. Your screen does not turn on when you get new notifications, it just beeps. So you have to go to the notification center and then check why your tablet's going beep...beep...beep.
    I like that on iOS devices it turns on and lets me view it right from the lock screen. Also I have to remove notifications manually. [Please tell me if I'm wrong]
  • You need a third-party app for other e-mail accounts.
  • Changing wallpaper is a tad awkward. You don't have much freedom when applying a wallpaper. I like changing my wallpaper a lot.

I think the Nexus 7 is a great device for it's price, and still one of the best Androids out there. A very nice screen. Fast.

But I'm much happier with iOS. I prefer the bigger screen to the smaller one, since I do a lot of reading on it. It's faster (IMO). I also like the iPad camera connection kit to go with my DSLR. Which is one of the main reasons for buying an iPad, among others. I don't think they have that for Androids.
__________________
Have: iPhone 5 | iPad 3rd Gen | HP TouchSmart610 (Sacrilege!) | Nexus 7 (Sacrilege x2!) |
Had: iPhone 4 | iPhone 3G
BluePhoenixRa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
42

42 days until the (rumored) introduction day of iPad Mini.
Until Apple confirms it, it's just a rumor to me.
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:38 PM   #15
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Until Apple confirms it, it's just a rumor to me.
for all of us, of course. but isn't that one of the purpose of this site: rumors ? sweet little rumors ...
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Southernboyj
macrumors 68000
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
I bought the $249 dollar 16 gig Nexus 7 today. I got it from someone off Craigslist, basically brand new for $150 (95). So far I'm really liking the device and I've owned all 3 iPad versions.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:44 PM   #17
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
There is no iPad mini, so that's not a choice.
s15119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:56 PM   #18
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
I know this is a iPad forum, so comments might be biased. However. I have had a iPod touch for 3 years, which now has a smashed screen. Just bought a android phone. And was looking at upgrading my iPod to a nexus 7. (cost approx 170)

Cant decide on if to wait longer and order the mini iPad.

Will it have 2 cameras. Will it be dearer than nexus? will processing power and graphics be better ? What other benefits will I get ?

Thanks in advance.
It'll likely have the A5. So more powerful graphics, less powerful processor. It'll probably have fantastic battery life too. Cameras... not sure about that. The Tablet app market is much, much better for iOS too.

I'd wait for the 8 inch iPad. I've had a go with the Nexus 7 and though I thought I'd like it, I didn't. The hardware and design is fine, but I really don't like Android 4.1.

Try both if you can, pick whichever one has the OS you prefer, that's what I say.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicFrost View Post
I'd wait for the 8 inch iPad.
LOL, so Apple hasn't said a single word on a 7" iPad or iPad Mini and now we'll see an 8" iPad.

I think i'll wait for the 9.7" iPad, oh wait !
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:34 PM   #20
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
LOL, so Apple hasn't said a single word on a 7" iPad or iPad Mini and now we'll see an 8" iPad.

I think i'll wait for the 9.7" iPad, oh wait !
There's multiple tech sites saying that we'll see one, and it the rumours have always been for a 7.85 inch iPad, which is closer to 8 inches than 7, in fact it has a 40% larger display area than a 7 inch device.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:44 PM   #21
macfrik
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Utah
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
I know this is a iPad forum, so comments might be biased. However. I have had a iPod touch for 3 years, which now has a smashed screen. Just bought a android phone. And was looking at upgrading my iPod to a nexus 7. (cost approx 170)

Cant decide on if to wait longer and order the mini iPad.

Will it have 2 cameras. Will it be dearer than nexus? will processing power and graphics be better ? What other benefits will I get ?

Thanks in advance.
Can somebody put this into the Wasteland? Really? You expect us to speculate product that doesnt even on the market today. Ring a bell, hellooo, we are not 1 Infinite Loop here.

__________________
True iPod Collectors
macfrik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 02:11 AM   #22
tucker61
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfrik View Post
Can somebody put this into the Wasteland? Really? You expect us to speculate product that doesnt even on the market today. Ring a bell, hellooo, we are not 1 Infinite Loop here.

As said up above. This site is for roumors.
tucker61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:31 AM   #23
~~Hello~~
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Don't we have this ipad mini rumor every year? Along with the iphone nano rumor.
~~Hello~~ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:59 AM   #24
paulro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I recently sold my iPad 3 and got a 16GB Nexus 7. I've got no regrets so far.

I'm really liking the form factor on the Nexus. It's much easier to hold. The screen is bright and clear and everything is as responsive as you'd want.

As for apps on the Google Play store, there are plenty of high quality ones in all categories that I can think I'd require.

There are a couple that aren't there that I would have wanted such as GTA Chinatown Wars and Peggle for example. And I'm having to use workarounds to get tv catchup, bbc iplayer & 4OD to work as adobe are dropping flash support. I'm sure these services and apps will be updated to work with Jelly bean at some point though.

So far though, I'm impressed, and don't miss the iPad 3 one bit.

If Apple do release an iPad Mini, you can bet that the price will be higher than it really ought to be too.

Last edited by paulro; Aug 1, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: .
paulro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #25
Lindenhurst
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Neither. Get a full sized Ipad. I had the nexus 7 and although it was a flawless perfectly working device, the darn thing was too small to view web pages properly without constant panning and zooming. I have a Galaxy Note, so the Nexus was really no better for me than the phone. Back to using my iPad, where i can just see more of the web page I am viewing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulro View Post
I recently sold my iPad 3 and got a 16GB Nexus 7. I've got no regrets so far.

I'm really liking the form factor on the Nexus. It's much easier to hold. The screen is bright and clear and everything is as responsive as you'd want.

As for apps on the Google Play store, there are plenty of high quality ones in all categories that I can think I'd require.

There are a couple that aren't there that I would have wanted such as GTA Chinatown Wars and Peggle for example. And I'm having to use workarounds to get tv catchup, bbc iplayer & 4OD to work as adobe are dropping flash support. I'm sure these services and apps will be updated to work with Jelly bean at some point though.

So far though, I'm impressed, and don't miss the iPad 3 one bit.

If Apple do release an iPad Mini, you can bet that the price will be higher than it really ought to be too.

That is surprising to me. I found that I did miss the larger screen on my iPad, and just recently returned the Nexus 7. It was a sweet device though. Guess I just had 1 too many gadgets layiig around and got rid of the weakest link, which was the Nexus.
Lindenhurst is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 DesignIt Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 35 Jan 3, 2013 12:33 PM
iPad Mini or Nexus 7/10? .macbookpro. Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 6 Dec 22, 2012 11:34 AM
tablets: What does a Nexus 7 do that an iPad Mini Cant KittyKatta Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 26 Nov 28, 2012 08:50 AM
tablets: iPad mini vs Nexus 7 panerai26 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 58 Nov 27, 2012 01:25 AM
tablets: ipad mini and nexus 7, which one you want? codefuns Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 9 Jul 6, 2012 12:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC