Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GustavoRamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hello everyone!

I bought a High-end 13" MBP when on a trip to the US. Now I want to buy an Apple TV to turn that thing on TV wirelessly.

I know ML has the feature to mirror the screen wirelessly from the MBP to the TV, but I'd like to play movies that are not on the itunes library and I think that would be not possible without converting it or something like that.

So, I read here about Air Parrot and I think that will be my choice, but I have a few concerns about it:

1) One of my usages with it will be to extend the desktop wirelessly, so when I'm working home I don't have to plug any cables. Will Air Parrot do that?

2) I do not have an Apple router, but my router is pretty good (~150mbps real throughput in my bedroom). Will I be able to stream HD wireless with the MBP and Air Parrot?

Thanks a lot!

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Hello everyone!

I bought a High-end 13" MBP when on a trip to the US. Now I want to buy an Apple TV to turn that thing on TV wirelessly.

I know ML has the feature to mirror the screen wirelessly from the MBP to the TV, but I'd like to play movies that are not on the itunes library and I think that would be not possible without converting it or something like that.

So, I read here about Air Parrot and I think that will be my choice, but I have a few concerns about it:

1) One of my usages with it will be to extend the desktop wirelessly, so when I'm working home I don't have to plug any cables. Will Air Parrot do that?

2) I do not have an Apple router, but my router is pretty good (~150mbps real throughput in my bedroom). Will I be able to stream HD wireless with the MBP and Air Parrot?

Thanks a lot!

Both Airplay and Airparrot eliminate the need for any cables (assuming you have an Apple TV and a 2011 or newer Macbook). However, you actually don't need Airparrot because with ML mirroring, there aren't limitations to what you display on the mirrored display. It's the same as Airparrot. For example, you don't have to watch movies through iTunes, you can watch movies on whatever via Airplay in ML. Therefore, you don't need to spend the money to buy Airparrot, you can use Airplay and get it for free, assuming you have ML and an Apple TV.

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Before ML it had to stream through iTunes or third party devices.. Now with ML you can mirror exactly what you see on the computer, no limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.