Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D-Back

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
If it isnt on your apple tv home screen yet, just restart your box and it will appear

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I'm not at home so I can't test this, but do you think the icon will just "appear" on jailbroken ATVs? I've not read anything to indicate that you need to update the software to get Hulu+ to appear so am curious...

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
This is pretty cool. I think ATV is moving in the right direction...now, if only they would bring the original Hulu to ATV I would be set (I know, not going to happen). :)

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I'm not at home so I can't test this, but do you think the icon will just "appear" on jailbroken ATVs? I've not read anything to indicate that you need to update the software to get Hulu+ to appear so am curious...

I'm home and my question is answered... yes even jailbroken boxes get Hulu+

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
im sure this will make some people happy but i just browsed the Hulu whats being played menue and I do not see many good shows and no good movies

mind you netflix is not great either(in canada) but atleast i have heard of many of the movies on there, the hulu list looks like a cannes film festival releases only not that there is anything wrong with independant movies

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
First impressions....awesome

Just like Netflix, in terms of UI, and PQ is great. Hulu and Netflix have the best PQ on ATV versus my Xbox 360, PS3, and our Panny TVs/BDPs.

I'm in love all over again with ATV!

C'mon HBO Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdva

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
im sure this will make some people happy but i just browsed the Hulu whats being played menue and I do not see many good shows and no good movies

Hulu on ATV has the same restrictions as when running on iPhone or iPad, as the networks limit some shows to be web only (Desktop + browser) and not available on mobile devices.

Hulu never had much of a movie selection, as its focus was TV.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
So if I subscribe to Hulu Plus on the Apple TV, will I have access to the non-plus content, such as older TV programs, on the device?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
So if I subscribe to Hulu Plus on the Apple TV, will I have access to the non-plus content, such as older TV programs, on the device?

While I have only watched a few shows since it came out yesterday, I have noticed that you have access to both new and old content (at least what I watched). They have a free week trial, so you might try it out and see if you like it; that is what I am doing.

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
First impressions....awesome

Just like Netflix, in terms of UI, and PQ is great. Hulu and Netflix have the best PQ on ATV versus my Xbox 360, PS3, and our Panny TVs/BDPs.

I'm in love all over again with ATV!

C'mon HBO Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Explain to me again why HBO Go is so important to have on Apple TV? You need a cable package with an HBO subscription to use it anyway, so why don't you just watch the HBO content on ON Demand?

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
Explain to me again why HBO Go is so important to have on Apple TV? You need a cable package with an HBO subscription to use it anyway, so why don't you just watch the HBO content on ON Demand?

Because then we aren't paying Comcast for any cable boxes on top of our service. Plus, everything on HBO Go isn't onDemand. It's win win for us!

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC

Some of us aren't getting rid of our cable TV packages anytime soon, and the HBO Go library is enormous. You typically have access to every episode from every season of a show, unlike the handful of episodes available on VOD for set periods of time.

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Do I need to update my ATV in order for Hulu Plus to appear? I did a restart and it doesn't show up. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do I need to update my ATV in order for Hulu Plus to appear? I did a restart and it doesn't show up. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks

There is really no update firmware, it is just a pushed app, a restart should do it if you are running latest firmware and you are in the US (5.1.1) 100% confirmed

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Because then we aren't paying Comcast for any cable boxes on top of our service. Plus, everything on HBO Go isn't onDemand. It's win win for us!
This is so true and why we really need an App Store for the AppleTV. Other examples are MAX Go and Showtime. Both are similar to HBO Go. Really any streaming App on the iPad should be available on the Apple TV if the Content Provider would allow it. FIOS TV has already announced support for other STB's like the XBOX for later this year. In my house I have several ATV's and 1 Roku and 3 WD TV Live boxes to be able to get content to other rooms without the need for the tradition pay per month STB and also to be able to get the other streaming services like (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, HBO, MAX, SHOWTIME and more). And they are very small boxes. I wanted to use ATV for everything but gave up on Apple. I tried Roku but they have everything I need but a Slingbox App so I finally got the WD Live TV Box because of the Slingbox App. I think we are in a transition that for me is taking way too long.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Well, I don't think I will sign up for Hulu+ after my free trial ends. With Airplay mirroring on my Macs, I can just use free Hulu for what I need to watch. And I can log into those Macs with LogMeIn from my iPhone or iPad if I need to change the "channel". It is nice to have the option for Hulu+ on the ATV, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.