Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

februaries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hey everyone,

I just clean installed Mountain Lion and noticed a reduced write speed in my SSD. I have the mid 2012 13" MBA and before ML, I was getting 350 MB/s write speed on Black Magic while running Lion. After a clean install, I noticed the write speed drop to 250 MB/s. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? The one other thing I did do was install a bootcamp partition, though I dunno if that would effect the write speed on my Mac partition.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I just clean installed Mountain Lion and noticed a reduced write speed in my SSD. I have the mid 2012 13" MBA and before ML, I was getting 350 MB/s write speed on Black Magic while running Lion. After a clean install, I noticed the write speed drop to 250 MB/s. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? The one other thing I did do was install a bootcamp partition, though I dunno if that would effect the write speed on my Mac partition.

Be prepared to be pummeled by the 'Clean Installs Fixes All Problems and Makes Everything Snappier' cult. :D

I don't see the connection to Bootcamp either.

ronnyweasle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
I have a mid-2012 MBP with a Corsair Force 3 SSD, and my speeds dropped also after the ML upgrade.

Dam355

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Perth, Australia
Di you guys fix the slowness?

I have ML on my new SSD

I have installed a Corsair Force 3 SSD drive and have tried the Black Magic speed test. The speed is pretty much half what it should be by the looks.

How fast is everyones drives?
SSD Drive - Force Series

Write speed - 200MB/s
Read speed - 230MB/s

It is on a i5 Macbook pro 13" 2011
SATAIII 6GB link speed.
Trim enabled.

Anyone else having slow drives?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I have installed a Corsair Force 3 SSD drive and have tried the Black Magic speed test. The speed is pretty much half what it should be by the looks.
Same with my Crucial M4 after installing ML.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice this speed loss until I put my Snow Leopard clone back on the SSD. I'll probably do a secure erase when I get around to it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Clean ML install on a late 2009 MBP 17" with 2.8GHz C2D (SATA II).

1. Vertex 4 256 GB (SSD OCZ Vertex-4 256Gb SATA-600 (VTX4-25SAT3-256G)) with firmware 1.3 (Trim enabled):

read: around 250 Mbyte/s
write: around 180 Mbyte/s

2. WD 1000Gb 2.5" SATA WD10JPVT Scorpio 5400rpm in the CD bay:

around 98 Mbyte/s in both directions

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Clean ML install on a late 2009 MBP 17" with 2.8GHz C2D (SATA II).

1. Vertex 4 256 GB (SSD OCZ Vertex-4 256Gb SATA-600 (VTX4-25SAT3-256G)) with firmware 1.3 (Trim enabled):

read: around 250 Mbyte/s
write: around 180 Mbyte/s

2. WD 1000Gb 2.5" SATA WD10JPVT Scorpio 5400rpm in the CD bay:

around 98 Mbyte/s in both directions

Something is wrong with those Vertex 4 speeds, I think. I have a Vertex 4 128GB attached via Thunderbolt to my iMac and I get ~350MB/sec write and ~360MB/sec read.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Something is wrong with those Vertex 4 speeds, I think. I have a Vertex 4 128GB attached via Thunderbolt to my iMac and I get ~350MB/sec write and ~360MB/sec read.

Yup, my Macbook is SATA II only; hence the decreased speed.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Di you guys fix the slowness?

I have ML on my new SSD

How fast is everyones drives?
SSD Drive - Force Series

Write speed - 200MB/s
Read speed - 230MB/s

It is on a i5 Macbook pro 13" 2011
SATAIII 6GB link speed.
Trim enabled.

Anyone else having slow drives?

And WHY do you have TRIM artificially enabled? If it's a SandForce SSD, it's NOT supposed to have TRIM enabled on Macs...in fact, performance will suffer, as already demonstrated elsewhere.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
And WHY do you have TRIM artificially enabled? If it's a SandForce SSD, it's NOT supposed to have TRIM enabled on Macs...in fact, performance will suffer, as already demonstrated elsewhere.

This has been debunked pretty much everywhere.... The are not the same thing. The sandforce garbage collection and trim are not mutually exclusive.

When I say debunked I mean by people who have a clue...

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Mine is the same before and after ML. Getting 247MB/s write and 265MB/s read consistently using blackmagic under osx on 2011 Mac Air 11".

Updated ML on iMac and same SSD performance, no change either.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This has been debunked pretty much everywhere.... The are not the same thing. The sandforce garbage collection and trim are not mutually exclusive.

When I say debunked I mean by people who have a clue...

I think the jury is still out on this.

OWC officially recommends against the TRIM hack on their Sandforce drives. There have been quite a few forums posts from Sandforce drive users have trouble after using the TRIM hack. Many have no trouble at all though.

While at the same time, Apple is of course using TRIM on its 2012 portables with Sandforce controlled SSDs. Maybe different firmware? Who knows.

I am not disputing the benefits of TRIM, but using the hack with Sandforce aftermarket drives seems a bit spotty at this point.

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Hey everyone,

Ive got an OWC Mercury Electra 6g SSD 240gb drive, I ran a clean install of Snow Leopard, installed all my apps then ran the Mountain Lion update. I ran the Black Magic Disk Speed Test in both Snow Leopard and right after the upgrade to ML and was getting ~300MB/s writes and ~500 MB/s Reads. Now a few weeks later I am getting around 250 MB/s Writes and 450 MB/s Reads. Not sure why its getting a little slower but Ill keep an eye on it to see if it continues to get worse. Maybe I installed an app thats hitting my OS drive, though when I turn on the Disk Activity monitor in Istat Menus 3 I dont see a lot of activity.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Ive got an OWC Mercury Electra 6g SSD 240gb drive, I ran a clean install of Snow Leopard, installed all my apps then ran the Mountain Lion update. I ran the Black Magic Disk Speed Test in both Snow Leopard and right after the upgrade to ML and was getting ~300MB/s writes and ~500 MB/s Reads. Now a few weeks later I am getting around 250 MB/s Writes and 450 MB/s Reads. Not sure why its getting a little slower but Ill keep an eye on it to see if it continues to get worse. Maybe I installed an app thats hitting my OS drive, though when I turn on the Disk Activity monitor in Istat Menus 3 I dont see a lot of activity.

You are NOT using TRIM Enabler, are you? Because if you are, turn it off - it's probably the reason behind the slower speeds.

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
You are NOT using TRIM Enabler, are you? Because if you are, turn it off - it's probably the reason behind the slower speeds.

I am not using TRIM enabler, from my understanding OWC does not recommend enabling TRIM on their drives. I guess the SandForce controller on their SSDs takes care of the "garbage collection" as they put it.

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
oddly, I was over reading some comments at OWC and found this post from here ( http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer#comments )

he does make some valid points but I am no expert with regards to this subject and will follow the ssd manufacturers advice (OWC),..

Michael's post below:

Michael
June 27, 2012 at 9:48 am
I contacted Sandforce regarding to Trim or not to Trim – They gave me good insight into their process:

Here is a background on TRIM and GC-

First – they are separate and not to be considered the same!

In flash memory, Garbage Collection (GC) is the process of relocating existing data, deleting stale data, and creating empty blocks for new data

All SSDs have some form of GC – it is not an optional feature

NAND flash cannot directly overwrite a page with data; it has to be first erased

One full block of pages has to be erased, not just one page

GC starts after each page has been written one time

Valid data is consolidated and written into new blocks

Invalid (replaced) data is ignored and gets erased

Wear leveling mainly occurs during GC

The OS tracks what files are present and what logical blocks are holding the files

SSDs do not understand the file structure of an OS; they only track valid data locations reported by the OS

When the OS deletes a file, it marks the file’s space in its logical table as free – It does not tell the drive anything

When the OS writes a new file to the drive, it will eventually write to the previously used spaces in the table

An SSD only knows data is no longer needed when the OS tells it to write to an address that already contains data

How Trim Works -

The OS sends a TRIM command at the point of file deletion
The SSD marks the indicated locations as invalid data
TRIM Features:
► Prevents GC on invalid data
► Increases the free space known to the SSD controller

TRIM Benefits:
► Higher throughput – Faster host write speeds because less time writing for GC
► Improved endurance – Reduced writes to the flash

Lower write amplification – Less data rewritten and more free space is available • TRIM does not generally work behind a RAID environment

Sandforce has a patented technology called Durawrite. I assume that OWC assesses that Durawrite is better than TRIM and makes TRIM obsolete. I don’t agree. Sandforce does not agree, they recommend running Durawrite and TRIM together. (Kent Smith – Sr. Director of Corporate Marketing SandForce)

Please see the linked chart from SandForce. – https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=345371&d=1340805193

Free Space for GC equals higher performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.