Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Just the frames, that is. My insurance covers the basic lenses, just not any "extras" and it covers the first $82 of frames. But I looked at frames at two places, and the cost can be outrageous! Some are over $300 US - for three thin pieces of metal and two screws to hold them together! I settled on a pair for $109, which I still paid grudgingly. They had some for $59, but nothing in between. I couldn't find any the right size, style, color for $59, but would have bought at that price level if I had.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I paid about $150 for my current frames. I like the metal frames but can never find them for anything less than $100+.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I learned a long time ago that paying for good glasses frames is worth the money. The cheap frames just do not hold up to wear and tear very well. The metal bends way to easily.

I want to say my last few frames have been like 240ish insurance paying 120+20% after wards.

Now compared to the cheap ones I got before I went the more costly route they last well over 2 years compared to the cheap ones that clearly have seen better days after a year.

I would fork out the cash and get the more expensive frames. Now i do wear my glasses every day and rarely wear contacts.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've stop going to Eye Masters and Lens Crafters, as the mark up is outrageous (I heard in the 1000% range).

I order them online (Zenni and $39 glasses, mostly Zenni now). The glasses are made in China shipped over her on the slow boat. It takes about 3 weeks an order.

I order them in bunches, since I can get them for less than $20 a pop. The selection is pretty good, justdon't expect brand name. If they break, no problem. They're cheap. The quality of the lens is on par with those 1 hour places. The frames are cheap, but whadda expect for $10 for frame AND polycarbonate lens.

BTW, I wear glasses everyday.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Warby Parker? I've never purchased glasses there. I went the semi-expensive route, and I bought mine in person (except one pair) since I want to buy glasses that I can try on.

My head is very big, and I'll look really dumb in small or regular glasses. I know the measurements are listed, but for glasses, I don't trust the sizing. I'll take a risk for sunglasses, since aviators are likely to be big.

Last edited:

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I learned a long time ago that paying for good glasses frames is worth the money. The cheap frames just do not hold up to wear and tear very well. The metal bends way to easily.

I want to say my last few frames have been like 240ish insurance paying 120+20% after wards.

Now compared to the cheap ones I got before I went the more costly route they last well over 2 years compared to the cheap ones that clearly have seen better days after a year.

I would fork out the cash and get the more expensive frames. Now i do wear my glasses every day and rarely wear contacts.
Also my experience. Costco sells inexpensive frames but they won't hold up. In my opinion Italian frames have great feel and durability. My current Versace frames were 280 and the lenses ran about 200 each.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I agree completely.

I wear glasses, and have done since I was a small child. The thing is, if you wear them, you are wearing them every day. Every day. All day.

Personally, I find it hard to fathom that people will pay hundreds of dollars/euros for a shirt, or, a pair of jeans, or a pair of shoes, which they will wear only a few times a week, and then discard, while yet some expect to spend little on a pair of frames. Good frames can enhance your face, or reinforce its strengths. From my late teens, I have always bought the best frames I could afford, as this is something that I wear every single day. Granted, it is not like ye olden days, when frames were expected to last for decades; one can change and choices exist. However - even if changed annually, you will wear your glasses for more than you will wear any single item of clothing, so it pays to put thought (and money) into choosing a pair of frames, as - like it or not - they will have some sort of influence/effect on your appearance.

As a kid, I had the glasses provided by the national health service - the concept of actually choosing something - or being able to have something to choose - was more or less alien; since I have been able to choose, I have chosen classic, elegant (and sometimes pricey) frames.

My current frames are Oliver Peoples, the Riley R range. Beautiful. At that time, I had not heard of Oliver Peoles; I simply liked the frames. In any case, I saw them in Stockholm when I was on holiday there two years ago, and, as I needed an eye test anyway, got new lenses (the required change) and the frames. The total came to around €700.

----------

Also my experience. Costco sells inexpensive frames but they won't hold up. In my opinion Italian frames have great feel and durability. My current Versace frames were 280 and the lenses ran about 200 each.

Agree also about the good Italian frames; stylish, elegant and durable.

macrominnie

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Just the frames, that is. ...Some are over $30 I couldn't find any the right size, style, color for $59, but would have bought at that price level if I had.

This site tracks deals from several online eyeglass vendors, with links:

http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

If you shop around, or take advantage of sales, it's possible to find competent frames with lenses for $9.00 INCLUDING shipping. Add-ons like bifocals, extra lightweight lens, etc. are more. But it's easy to find way ranges of glasses for less than $50, often much less. Designer type frames are also discounted.

The disadvantages:
You have to browse for the dimensions of frames that you want. While the photos are usually accurate, it's hard to know exact fit & appearance on your face ahead of time.
It's not instant. It usually takes about a week to receive the glasses, though sometimes they arrive in a few days.

The savings are so big, it's easy to get one or more spare pair. Unless there's a sentimental attachment, it's easier to get a new pair. Spares are useful for back-up, variety, or change in style.

At least of the companies will make lens for an existing frame. If you contact them, I bet they'd do it the other way around:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/product_info/use_your_own_frame.html

It seems there's a substantial markup at the bricks& mortar boutique shops and offices. Some optometrists have railed against these mail-order sites. But I know dozens, whether poor or budget minded, who are quite satisfied.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Oh, I have frames that have held up for... um, well, 10 years or more. I know they were around $79 then. So, I've identified one problem: time. But still, the markup has got to be outrageous!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My frames are 500 dollars. A pair of ic! Berlin's.

Plus the glass which are about 200-300 dollars.

I guess I missed this before. That's crazy ridiculous! To have that much invested in a object, it ought to be stowed away in a safe place, not perching on the bridge of your nose! Someone could call you an uppity frame fanatic and smash you in the face. Then what would happen to those gold plated frames? ;)

I don't care what the tag says on my frames, nor do I know. I have to take my glasses off to look at it, and then I can't see it anyway. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I guess I missed this before. That's crazy ridiculous! To have that much invested in a object, it ought to be stowed away in a safe place, not perching on the bridge of your nose! Someone could call you an uppity frame fanatic and smash you in the face. Then what would happen to those gold plated frames? ;)

I don't care what the tag says on my frames, nor do I know. I have to take my glasses off to look at it, and then I can't see it anyway. :D

If it was not for insurance my frames and lenses would be like 800ish. My last 3 pairs of frames have been in the 250-300 range.

That being said like you I do not care about the brand but what I do care about is quality and how they look on me. For me it has been Oakley, Oakley, Nike. I will be replacing the Nike frames next month. Now my current ones is made out of that material that can always goes right back how it was.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Now my current ones is made out of that material that can always goes right back how it was.

They're amazing if you can get one that fits perfectly. I've had some bad experiences with those <insert memory metal alloy marketing name>. Because I've got a big head, physiologically, the lenses get angled out of the proper plane, giving me the crossed-eyed effect. After about an hour, I get terrible pounding headaches. I'd love to own a pair IF I could ever get one that fit.

My current glasses have the arms made out of the memory metal. I love them more than the spring hinged ones, so much more comfortable.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

Since my frames are made out of stainless steel, and I'm planning to use it for at least 5 years (this is my 5th year already) and perhaps even longer, 500 dollars is not much.

Plus, if you know how ic berlin frames are like, they bend and snap ;)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Since my frames are made out of stainless steel, and I'm planning to use it for at least 5 years (this is my 5th year already) and perhaps even longer, 500 dollars is not much.

Plus, if you know how ic berlin frames are like, they bend and snap ;)

I see someone else has learned the value of paying for nice things often times work out be cheaper in the long run.

Now I do not know you pulled off your glasses lasting 5 years as generally my lenses are start looking kind of rough after 2 years.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I see someone else has learned the value of paying for nice things often times work out be cheaper in the long run.

Now I do not know you pulled off your glasses lasting 5 years as generally my lenses are start looking kind of rough after 2 years.

I take care of my lenses really well. Wash and clean it with some lens cleaning solution daily. It is time to change though, dropped it too many times and the lens coating is coming off :eek:.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
... like you I do not care about the brand but what I do care about is quality and how they look on me. For me it has been Oakley, Oakley, Nike.
Unlike you, I couldn't tell you who made the frames I'm wearing now, and have had for at least 10 years.

This was not in response to me, but as noted above, I've had the same frames for many years. The lenses can be changed as often as I need to change them. The way to accomplish that is to have an older pair that I can wear for a week while the new lenses are being put in, or, have new lenses made for the older frames and continue to wear the same ones I'd gotten at my previous exam until the new ones are ready. I actually have three pairs of frames that I've had for many years.

----------

Got a Costco near by??

No, I don't. (Didn't mean to ignore your question, assumed it was rhetorical.)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I can't see how you can safely order glasses online. The eyeball centering has to be measured precisely, right?
You can buy frames anywhere. It's the lenses that have to be measured.

I like to try on frames in person. But if I wanted to save money I could buy them online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.