Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
Hey. I have the 2012 rMBP and I just go Mountain Lion. ML is okay, but (for a while now) PowerPC applications haven't been supported. I tried to install Leopard on my computer but it would not start up from my disc. I also tried Snow Leopard. Still didn't work. Can someone tell me a solution? I am up for a challenge.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Your only viable option would be to virtualize an OS X server in VirtualBox or VMWare.

I know from first hand that VirtualBox (free, from Oracle) can set up an OS X server VM, but not a regular OS X install. My Snow Leopard disks that came with my 2009 iMac wouldn't work when I tried to use them to set up a SL VM. But, if you come accross the Server version, go nuts.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
No. 10.6 server, yes. 10.7.4 and 10.8 are the only OS's you can run on Ivy Bridge 2012 Macbook Pro's. There is no PPC support on either.
You cannot virtualize an OS X client install. You CAN virtualize an OS X Server install.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

Attachments

• Appleworks.jpg
    Appleworks.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 3,235
  • Illustrator.png
    Illustrator.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Lion-Snow+Leopard.jpg
    Lion-Snow+Leopard.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,597
Last edited:

tomachi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Carbon Copy Cloner

I've been able to run OS 10.6 on my modern MBP and iMacs that refuse to even run the 10.6 installer DVD. I just clone and old backup that I smartly made of my system back in the day before I did the 10.7 update. It requires using Carbon Copy Cloner and you need a running system to copy.

Twixxx

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
PowerPC app on MBA Mid 2012 - Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Hi,

I am quite new user in Mac family.
Owning MBA Mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
My Son just got a game - Commandos Battle Pack and he pushes me strongly to use it.
During the installation the DVD is of course recognized by the system, however later on we got the communication that PowerPC apps are not supported now.

Could you please in a few user-friendly points just describe if there is any way to run it on my Mac? If possible, the best will be cost saving option:) But if we need to buy any special/dedicated software, will also be fine (I guess sooner or later I will face the same issue with other app).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Twixxx

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Welcome to the Mac Family!

Your only option with your 2012 MBA is to use the procedure I described in Post #7 above.

Within that procedure, you have two separate options:

Easy to install (one time only), costs more: Install Snow Leopard Server into Parallels. Parallels provides instructions on how to achieve this result.

Harder to install (one time only), costs less: Install Snow Leopard (client) into Parallels. Parallels does not support the installation of SL client, but my instructions, linked above, show how to achieve this result.

Parallels retails for $79, but can be obtained at a discount if you work to find them on the internet.

Snow Leopard Server cost $500+ when originally sold by Apple, but they have discontinued its sale. Recent sales on eBay have ranged from $51 to $94, which is the best price I have ever seen it on eBay (to date).

Snow Leopard (client) costs $19.99 direct from Apple.

Parallels offers a 14 day free trial download.

Although it works for me with only 4GB RAM on my 2009 MBP, I recommend you have at least 8GB RAM on your MBA when using Parallels to avoid sluggishness and slowdowns.

You may never bump into anymore PowerPC applications to run on your Mac (except perhaps for other games), as they are now 7+ years old and many have been updated to run on an Intel Mac. However, with Parallels installed, you will have the option to install Windows and be able to run that operating system and its applications on your Mac, as well.

NOTE: Parallels can be easily made to encompass the complete screen of the MBA (click on its green button); it is shrunk down here to show both environments (Snow Leopard & Lion, in my case) running concurrently

[click on images below to enlarge]

Attachments

• Chessmaster 9000.png
    Chessmaster 9000.png
    455.2 KB · Views: 694
  • Scrabble in Lion.jpg
    Scrabble in Lion.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 695
  • Spades.png
    Spades.png
    820 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

Twixxx

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks a lot for help MichaelLAX!

Really useful, all clear!

As it seems you know all this stuff, just one and final question: what do you suggest to buy: Parallels or VMware Fusion?
In this particular case to run PowerPC soft and in general? I saw many comparisions in the web and can not decide really...

PS. I have 8GB RAM in my MBA, this lesson was taken from Windows time - just take max. what is possible to secure your future:)

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Other than attempting (successfully) to install Tiger into VMWare Fusion, I have no ongoing experience with that product.

Also, I understand that Snow Leopard (client) can be installed into Fusion, but, again, they do not support it and it requires different instructions that what I have provided for Parallels. Also, I am told that Fusion has to be modified with each update, whereas, my instructions have continued to work with Parallels with each upgrade since version 7 to now version 8.

So, I would have to recommend Parallels.

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Dr.ScrewLoose

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
How to use PPC apps by using a .exe file instead of installing sheepshaver and Leaopa

Hey. I have the 2012 rMBP and I just go Mountain Lion. ML is okay, but (for a while now) PowerPC applications haven't been supported. I tried to install Leopard on my computer but it would not start up from my disc. I also tried Snow Leopard. Still didn't work. Can someone tell me a solution? I am up for a challenge.

I was experiencing the same problem and was shocked that I cant use PPC on the Mac I bought. So, after reading all of the sheepshaver and Snow leopard forums, I finally came across "winebottlercombo.bmg". Look it up, download it and set it up. You might have to download xquartz.dmg as well, I had to however. When you download and set up these two programs, they allow you to use a .exe (windows execution file) and from there you can use what is known to mac as a "unsupported" ppc file, as a .exe windows file through "Winebottler". Totally bypasses the "unsupported ppc" on mac osx lion.
So just copy the image of the CD that you want using a windows pc, make sure that you are copying the .exe file and open/set it up with the wine file on your mac and it will work like a charm, without having to go through all of the set up procedures.
After it is set up, what ever .exe and .lnk file you want to use, always "open With--> wine.app"
Note: you may have to look for the .lnk file via search in finder. That is the file I needed to find to use the program I set up.
So sorry if this is not so clear, I am also new to the Mac World and don't know all of the Mac Lingo yet, but if you have any questions I can help with, please email me and I would be happy to help.
Good luck everyone

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Sheepshaver (and its cousin, Chubby Bunny) are for running Classic (pre-OS X) Mac programs on an Intel Mac.

Rosetta is required to run PowerPC apps on an Intel Mac, but was only installable into Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. It cannot be installed into Lion or Mt. Lion in a way that will allows those flavors of OS X to run PowerPC apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.