Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shwacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
The Mac is $519 off of the Apple store refurbished and the 2006 Aluminum iMac is $500 off of Craigslist. I'll include the specs of the two below. I currently have a pc laptop for backup but really just need a strong home computer. I'm in high school and do a lot of web surfing/researching for school. I like to use iMovie for video projects and I listen to music a lot. I also have a GoPro camera I use for sports and many occasions. In other words, I do video editing a lot. Anyways, I have around a $600 budget and could go over but the lower the better obviously. I already have a monitor, so that would not need to be included in the Mac Mini's budget. (I could go with a dual monitor set-up with the iMac though ). I would need to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse with Mac Mini ($69 bucks each) but it already comes with a connector for the monitor. The iMac already comes with a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse but I would need to buy a connector ($30) for the second monitor.

$530- iMac
$657- Mac Mini (with Apple's One Year Limited Warranty)

Mac Mini's Specs:

Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Originally released July 2011

2GB memory

500GB hard drive

Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution
Intel HD Graphics 3000

What's in
the Box

Refurbished Mac mini
HDMI to DVI Adapter
Power cord
Printed and electronic documentation

iMac's Specs:

Late 2006 Model iMac 24" Aluminum. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo. 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB. OS lion 10.7.4. Has word,excel,PowerPoint. Microsoft outlook and Garageband. Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Pros and cons for each would be appreciated but any answer would help since this will be my first Apple computer. Thanks in advance!

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Go With The Mini...

I'd say that the Mini is a No Brainer.

I have an early 2006 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo 24" iMac and the base Mini runs circles around it. 4GB RAM is the minimum for Lion and while the iMac can support 6GB RAM I wouldn't put the $$$ into it. Considering your plans for the Mac I think that you should budget for a RAM upgrade to 8GB purchased from a supplier other than Apple.

Too much can go wrong with an iMac that old. In the past year I have had to replace a defective power supply (around $200) and the optical drive is no longer functional. Replacing it is another $200 or so if I have a repair shop do it; after seeing what doing it myself would entail I'm not sure that I am up to the task.

Since this is your first Mac I think a brand new system with a one year warranty would be a much better experience than a five year old computer that is nearing the end of its useful life. I'm all for using a Mac as long as it serves your needs but in this case the Mini easily trumps the iMac.

Shwacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
well since I'm pressed on time.. I already went ahead and ordered the refurbished mini. Can't wait until it gets here. Thank you everybody for all the help and up until today (when I found out that Apple carried refurbished products) I was convinced I would be getting an iMac for the past 2 months. I'm now so glad that I was able to catch myself before making this big of an investment since I have worked at minimum wage all summer for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.