Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kronosqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hey, I was wondering whether anybody knows how to get input from an external mic (using the 3.5 mm) on the rMBP. I know that it was possible on the MacBook Air in the past but I can't seem to get it to work on here. Thanks.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
Hey, I was wondering whether anybody knows how to get input from an external mic (using the 3.5 mm) on the rMBP. I know that it was possible on the MacBook Air in the past but I can't seem to get it to work on here. Thanks.

The headphone jack supports an monaural microphone input. Here's the only schematic I could find in a quick search. It shows a breakout adapter which breaks out the microphone input onto a separate phone jack.

185758.jpg

kronosqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
External mic

Well I know that the port itself is both input and output, the problem is on the software end, nothing I plug in shows up and there doesn't appear to be any way to add inputs.

kronosqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Well OS X in general doesn't recognize anything if I plug in a mic generally. Skype is no different, Garage Band doesn't appear to have any options that work for it. And I haven't installed Adobe Audition yet but I wouldn't think it would be any different since it relies on the system audio settings to a certain extent.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
I don't think you can plug a regular mono mic directly into that Jack. for example, on my iPad I need to plug a mic into an adapter that has the specialized for four ring plug and then it works. example, Irig mic, which has a specialized jack for headphones that plugs into the microphone as well, has one of those four ring jacks that needs to be plugged into the iPad. in other words, like I said, I don't think you can just plug in regular microphone into that Jack, I could be wrong but I think this is the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.