Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

focusmitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I have a mid-2011 MBA, previously upgraded to Lion, now upgraded to ML.

Since the upgrade to ML my emails stop showing up sporadically.

When I first open Mail.app all my emails are there with the counter at the top of the Mail reading "Inbox (6099)".

If I then navigate to Sent or Flagged and then return to my inbox all the emails disappear. The counter at the top reads "Inbox (0)".

Sometimes Sent messages does the same thing, but far less consistently, and Flagged messages aren't affected by this bug at all.

These are my work emails and they sync via Exchange. Even when all the emails disappear my work calendar (also synced via Exchange) continue to work without a problem (with Mac Calendar.app). And through Reminders.app my tasks continue to sync without issue.

I have also deleted my Exchange account and set it up again several times and this has not resolved the issue. I have also restored my whole OS to no avail.

I could do with any advice. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Is it a bug with Mail on Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This Exchange Problem is ONLY available in the Domain setup. Sp what Microsoft server version is the domain running? Do the Exchange setup have a timeout or Inbox limit before they get "archived"? What does the Exchange Administrator say about the Exchange Domain?

focusmitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Too unfamiliar with Exchange to reply helpfully

Hi satcomer,

Thanks for your help - unfortunately it's all too technical for me.

Our IT support/Exchange administrator are an external company and they don't support Mac unfortunately - hence why I'm posting here to try and resolve it.

The problem doesn't actually seem to be the Exchange setup as far as I can tell - because the other aspects remain synced AND because moving to a different folder seems to be the trigger for the emails disappearing - this seems like a bug with Mail.app.

If you still believe it is Exchange related could you possibly explain in layman's terms?

N.B. Despite our IT support team not supporting Macs, I have emailed them your response and they'll look into it. Hopefully I can get this resolved.

cormac1982

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I'm having the exact same issue since upgrading. Tried removing and adding the exchange account, didn't help (although I didn't completely remove it, just de-selected the Mail tick box in 'Mail contacts & calendars' tab in prefs) and also tried a mailbox rebuild which helped for a day or so but the issue came back. Not having any issues with the same account on other PC'/mobiles.

In Mail settings/account I've noticed a field that was not there before upgrading to ML. 'Internal server' is 'exchange.rozmichostedexchange.com' and I don't know what that means.

chrisidefix

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Same problem here ...

I have the same problem with my mail synced with an exchange server. It is very annoying - the only way to see your inbox is to restart Apple Mail. I wanted to add some more details to this issue:

> I can still see Notifications for new mails for the exchange server.
> All e-mails in any VIP inbox also remain visible (only in the VIP inbox).
> Sometimes a new (unread) e-mail will show up again in the inbox, but all other mail remains invisible until restarting Apple Mail.
> I have this same account also synced with an iPad and and iPhone - without any issues there.

I also noticed that Mail is showing an "Internal Server", which you can not see on the iPhone / iPad. Changing this server does not work as it will be reset by Mail

Anybody else having this issue and had luck resolving it?

chrisidefix

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Check this Apple Community Thread!

There is a huge discussion going on about this and other issues with Mail under Mountain Lion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136482?start=330&tstart=0

No way I am going to read all of that, but here are some basic pinpoints, that seemed to have helped with Apple Mail issues.

this first quote (by Thomas Koller)is about a more general connection problem with Mail and the Exchange servers I believe...
first of all you need to get the names of your internal exchange server and your external exchange server from the mail app.

if you have this information start the terminal app. be sure your account has administator rights.

no type host -t a external exchange server to get the ip adress of your external exchange server.

next type sudo nano /etc/hosts

if required enter your password now.

insert an new line with ip space internal server name to the /etc/hosts file

e.g. if your external exchange server has ip 80.67.16.195 and your internal exchange server has name efe01.exchange.local insert the following line:

80.67.16.195 efe01.exchange.local

save the file and quit nano.

to be sure that the host file is working. try to ping your internal exchange server now.

quit the terminal app.

if you have an exchange cluster with more than 1 internal exchange server all internal exchange servers has to be included in the /etc/hosts

this, next quote (by sgreen0313) is supposed to help with disappearing mails:
1. Close Mail
2. Back up my mail store at /user/library/mail/v2/EWS-username@servername
3. Delete the folder
4. Reopen mail

Some kind of Auto-Discovery might also not be setup properly on your actual Exchange server - there are more details in the Microsoft Forum here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rver-url/bccef715-9255-4409-9865-c0b2dbb10df1

Apple also had a help article, which currently seems only available in Google Cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4363

There should also be a new Mac OS X update (10.8.1) coming out at some point in the near future, which will hopefully fix this issue ...

cormac1982

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Quote:
1. Close Mail
2. Back up my mail store at /user/library/mail/v2/EWS-username@servername
3. Delete the folder
4. Reopen mail

The above has appeared to have worked for me - thank you very much for filtering that out!

Kind regards,
Cormac

EDIT: Didn't realise that you now need to open the GO menu in finder and hold the OPTIOn button to get your users/Library folder....

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
I have a similar problem.

When moving a mail from the inbox to another folder on my imac, the same mail disappears on my iphone, why?

OSX 10.8.2
IOS 6.01

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm having the same problem and haven't got a clue why?! Didn't used to have the problem before I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Screenshot:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 14.14.16.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 14.14.16.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 386

Div7797

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Mails disappearing from Mac Mail

[
I am facing similar issue from past one month with no help from Apple. I have performed steps as suggested by you and hope to see results. Have deleted the original box after taking back up I.e. Copied the folder. Now will wait and see what happens.

Are there others who have faced similar issue and benefited. How does this actually help by deleting. Can you please pour some light.

This becomes really frustrating after buying top of the line MacBook Pro and then facet such issues when windows laptop work great.

QUOTE=chrisidefix;15453677]There is a huge discussion going on about this and other issues with Mail under Mountain Lion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136482?start=330&tstart=0

No way I am going to read all of that, but here are some basic pinpoints, that seemed to have helped with Apple Mail issues.

this first quote (by Thomas Koller)is about a more general connection problem with Mail and the Exchange servers I believe...

Some kind of Auto-Discovery might also not be setup properly on your actual Exchange server - there are more details in the Microsoft Forum here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rver-url/bccef715-9255-4409-9865-c0b2dbb10df1

Apple also had a help article, which currently seems only available in Google Cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4363

There should also be a new Mac OS X update (10.8.1) coming out at some point in the near future, which will hopefully fix this issue ...[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.