Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drawnacrol

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Like a lot of people I use a firewire interface, is it a definite that the new iMacs will follow the Macbook Pros in getting rid of the firewire port?

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Thunderbolt?

I had a BestBuy employee tell me that I could run my Firewire drives into the Thunderbolt port on a MacBook . I guess it would need an adapter (if he was correct.) Anyone know on this is true? If there is an adapter, I don't see it for sale. The iMac currently seems to have one FW800 and two Thunderbolts but not so on the notebooks. Adding the HDMI port to the Pro is a good idea, but I am not buying one if I can't hook up my FW800 drives.

Parenthetically I see on the Apple website they are still making the obsolete comparison of Firewire to USB 2.0 on the iMac page even though Apple conceded to the new USB 3.0 standard with the MacBook Pro. I know when I bought my iMac in 2010 that USB 3.0 was out but Apple (read Jobs) was obstinately refusing to use it. It really would be nice if the iMac had USB 3.0.

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I had a BestBuy employee tell me that I could run my Firewire drives into the Thunderbolt port on a MacBook . I guess it would need an adapter (if he was correct.) Anyone know on this is true? If there is an adapter, I don't see it for sale. The iMac currently seems to have one FW800 and two Thunderbolts but not so on the notebooks. Adding the HDMI port to the Pro is a good idea, but I am not buying one if I can't hook up my FW800 drives.

The Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter is apparently going on sale today for $29:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/01/thunderbolt-to-firewire-cable-finally-available-at-the-apple-store/

I don't see any reason for an updated iMac to drop Firewire. On the new Macbook Pro it was done mostly because the device is too thin for a Firewire 800 port, which wouldn't be a problem on an iMac.

An updated iMac would also be extremely likely to have USB 3.0. It seems like Apple was waiting for Intel to officially support USB 3.0 as part of their chipset, which they do now with Ivy Bridge.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
While FW might go one day on the iMac I doubt it will be with the 2012 update (when we get it) look at the MBP (non retina) as to what upgrades we're likely to get. They had no changes to the ports or hardware apart from upgrades to USB3, and faster Ivy Bridge CPU/GPU and RAM.

As for the 2013 redesign that is anyones guess but personally on the desktop which doesn't suffer from a lack of space I hope it still features FW800 next year. Either way I've just bought a FW800 case (to add a 2-3Tb HDD) for Time Machine on my 2012 iMac, I sure hope it won't be a wasted purchase.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"is it a definite that the new iMacs will follow the Macbook Pros in getting rid of the firewire port?"

I think it can "go either way".

That is, they may retain a firewire 800 port on the next iteration of the iMac. Even if they do so, I think firewire ports will disappear from all Macs (except from the Mac Pro's) by the end of 2013.

With the advent of USB3, I expect firewire product sales to drop rapidly. Possible exceptions might be for those who produce audio and video. But even in those categories, I expect USB3 to rule the roost within 2-3 years....

EDIT: The release of the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter should portend the future. Firewire is rapidly becoming a "legacy technology" and I wouldn't expect to see firewire ports on new Macs much longer...

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would be very surprised in the iMac refresh does not have FW, but anything is possible. Since there is an adaptor for Thunderbolt to FW Apple could use the space for another Thunderbolt port or another USB port. I think we can feel confident that USB3 will be a part of the configuration.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Firewire is nice and all, but its still at 800, where is this firewire 3000 I herd abut a long time ago? I guess its dead.

Its all about thunderbolt and usb 3,

thunderbolt can even have a firewire conector to keep guys like you happy.

I dont need firewire at all, Firewire stuff is way to pricey

Djerzprod

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Unfortunately, some of us Musicians still need the firewire option cause firewire audio interfaces are still better than their USB 2 options when it comes to recording more than two inputs at one time. I know that UA has the Apollo, which is Thunderbolt, but the price tag on that far exceeds the price of firewire. Also, lately, the USB 2 audio interfaces cost as much as the firewire interfaces.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Unfortunately, some of us Musicians still need the firewire option cause firewire audio interfaces are still better than their USB 2 options when it comes to recording more than two inputs at one time. I know that UA has the Apollo, which is Thunderbolt, but the price tag on that far exceeds the price of firewire. Also, lately, the USB 2 audio interfaces cost as much as the firewire interfaces.

buy the thunderbolt firewire adaptor then!
when you upgrade... its not hard to figure that out.

Djerzprod

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
buy the thunderbolt firewire adaptor then!
when you upgrade... its not hard to figure that out.

Wow, what an &(@hole...maybe I should've quoted where you mentioned that firewire items were pricey, or maybe you quickly forget what you say when you open your mouth. Either way, no need to come off like a jerk;)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It's not like the iMac is lacking for surface area to put an FW800 port in, so it would be a bit cheeky of Apple to drop it from the next release.

That being said, I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display connected to my current iMac, so even if they do drop it, I'm covered. :)

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
It's not like the iMac is lacking for surface area to put an FW800 port in, so it would be a bit cheeky of Apple to drop it from the next release.
Agreed. Especially since only a few years ago Apple was refusing to recognize that USB 3.0 was the new standard and in effect forced us to purchase Firewire instead of slower USB 2.0 external drives.

That being said, I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display connected to my current iMac, so even if they do drop it, I'm covered. :)
I am curious if you find it disconcerting to have two open screens in the same room. I used to play films on my flat screen TV through the Display Port and HDMI but found it distracting to have the iMac on too. I asked a "Genius" about fully dimming the screen but was told it could not be done on an iMac, only the laptops. He had no explanation as to why.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am curious if you find it disconcerting to have two open screens in the same room. I used to play films on my flat screen TV through the Display Port and HDMI but found it distracting to have the iMac on too. I asked a "Genius" about fully dimming the screen but was told it could not be done on an iMac, only the laptops. He had no explanation as to why.

I generally do not send video from my iMac to my HDTV (I use AppleTV), but I use "Hot Corners" to blank both screens when I do. And when I watch video on the iMac, MPlayerX has the option to blank the non-active screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.