Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtyler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm debating between getting the 2012 MBA (sold my 2011) or upgrading to the rMBP. I use my computer mainly for typing word documents, managing my iPhoto library, occasional movie editing, web surfing, and take my computer on the go. I like the air better for the $1000 lower price, portability, and good speed. I went to our local Best Buy to check out the rMPB and noticed how much crisper and better the text is. Since I type documents frequently and do a lot of reading/research on my computer, the retina display would be a nice added bonus. The negatives to the rMBP are the higher price and higher weight/larger size. Whether I get the MBA or the rMBP I'll be buying it from Best Buy since I have a reward zone card with them and can get a cheaper price with the education discount matching they offer and $100 off coupon (plus tax free weekend here in NC!). The biggest question is, for my needs and purposes, would the extra $1000 be worth it for the rMBP since I'll be writing a lot of documents and reading frequently on it, plus the 256gb vs 128 storage advantages and double the ram.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
The biggest question is, for my needs and purposes, would the extra $1000 be worth it for the rMBP since I'll be writing a lot of documents and reading frequently on it, plus the 256gb vs 128 storage advantages and double the ram.?

There, now that I found the question....Answer is 'No'. I would not pay $1,000 more for the rMBP.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
Just for some typing and iPhoto even the base Air should be enough for what you can find here... No need to pay 1000 more and lug around with more weight....

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I would get the retina MBP because the 2012 MBA will hardly be any different than your old 2011 and then you'll ask yourself "why the heck did I sell my other MBA?" Seriously we see it all the time . If you're going to upgrade, then upgrade for real.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Actually the MBA equipped similarly to a base rMBP is only $600 cheaper.

The base rMBP has 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. The 13" MBA with that is $1599, while a base rMBP is $2199.

With all this being said, the base 13" MBA is a pretty decent machine.

vtyler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Just as an update, I decided to go with the base 13" Macbook Air which I purchased from Best Buy for $1040 total, it was on sale for $1140 and I had $100 off for being a student plus it was tax free weekend here so total was $1040, and also double reward zone points too.

My Air has a LG screen and SSD but the screen quality is quite good and is very fast. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is my 2011 MBA would get very loud when the fans kicked in above 3500-4000rpm but this new one is very quiet even on the high fan speeds. It is still audible but nothing like the "jet engine" sound of my old MBA. I plan to get the rMBP in the future but for now I think the Air will do the job, thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.