Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys,
I've only had my developer certificate long enough to see the introduction of iOS6.

What I am wondering is if developers are notified of new model phones/ipad
prior to their release so that adjustments can be made to apps ahead of time
like can be done with iOS6 features.

More specifically, the iPhone 4.
I imagine developers would have had to be told about it so that hires icons
could be produced, etc.
And if the next phone has a larger screen, the same problems will be present.

Any thoughts on this?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Developers were in the same boat as everybody with the introduction of the retina-display iPhone 4 and new iPad. That is, we didn't know about it until it was announced. It'll probably be the same with the next iPhone. Apple likes to keep these things secret and is probably right in not trusting one of its developers to spill the beans.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
Normally however, there is enough time from the announcement of the new device and the actual shipping/release to update your apps. . .:)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Normally however, there is enough time from the announcement of the new device and the actual shipping/release to update your apps. . .:)

All depends how complicated your app is and how much effect the new device would have on it.

And you gotta rely on Apple to release a new SDK quickly enough to, at least, allow us to simulate the new device.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You can always hang out at the local bars and see if someone leaves a strange looking device on a barstool :eek:

We get no 'heads up' from Apple, however the speculation is rampant and 'rumors' have more effect on us, IE: iPad w/retina display. Others, like a dual core / faster chip... you might not have to do anything to your app at all.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Thx.
True that it appears the retina display was a smooth transition because the graphics chips handles antialiasing.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
True that it appears the retina display was a smooth transition because the graphics chips handles antialiasing.

I wouldn't call it entirely smooth. Many users complained about "fuzzy" graphics due to the way iOS handles the up-sizing. Developers who had prepared new, cleaner, retina-ready version of their graphics were better received.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.