Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heisler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I have a MBP with 10.8 installed. I was wondering how I could keep my PPTP VPN connection alive (with the built-in OS X VPN client) when I fast user switch...it always turns off whenever I switch between users.

Is there some terminal command or setting that I've overlooked?
Thanks,
H

TibookAktive

macrumors member
May 27, 2010

TibookAktive

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Most VPNs don't allow more than one device to connect at the same time as part of the terms of service. Those that do usually have premium service levels required.

I'm not suggesting connecting multiple times to the VPN server. One connection originated within the router and then all network traffic routes through that. I take your point that technically the VPN service might discourage this via their TOS as on average your going to be using more bandwidth. However if you have say a 10mbps ADSL line, then a few devices routing traffic through the VPN router would be capped at this same 10mbps throughput as 1 device downloading solidly. I'd query if the VPN provider would be able to even detect multiple local network devices behind the shield of the router? It would just appear as 1 connection using X bandwidth and various ports/services. Unless I'm missing something?

Heisler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks everyone for advice. Sorry I wasn't more clear on the subject ––
My MBP is bound through Active Directory to a Windows Server 2008 machine. Unfortunately, I can only authenticate users when I'm connected through VPN - I cannot reach the server when I'm not connected through VPN. So, I was just wondering if there was a way to keep the VPN connection alive when I try to fast user switch - or even a way to start the VPN connection on startup before login - if the Airport card can be activated when you hold down Option + power key, why can't I initiate a VPN connection as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.