Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k12g3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I keep trying to watch HBO Go on my Mac. I have used Chrome and Safari (all latest versions) and i have never once gotten it to play a show. It plays the ratings then when it goes to buffer the show it says "HBO GO cannot play this show at this time. Please try again later."

I have tried again later and that didn't work. Anyone else have this issue?
Suggestions?

Can someone try it so I know its not just an issue with their server?

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
What cable provider do you use?

Can you get the video to play through the HBO Go app on an iOS device?

By the way - HBO Go is working for me on Mac using Safari and on the iOS apps.

Last edited:

k12g3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
What cable provider do you use?

Can you get the video to play through the HBO Go app on an iOS device?

By the way - HBO Go is working for me on Mac using Safari and on the iOS apps.

Can't check the App because I'm running iOS6 and every time I click play on a show the app crashes.

Really frustrating! Do you think it's because I am using a Verizon sign in name but I have U-Verse internet? Surely that's not why it wont work....

----------

You must have an HBO subscription in order to use this app.

I have HBO thru FiOS

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
It works awesome on my "the new iPad". I imagine that the app is crashing because you're running iOS6. Now if I could get it to work on my :apple:TV life would be great.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What does this thread have to do with Apple TV?

Really frustrating! Do you think it's because I am using a Verizon sign in name but I have U-Verse internet? Surely that's not why it wont work....
Nope. Doesn't matter. Otherwise HBO Go would be useless outside the home and completely pointless.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Nope. Doesn't matter. Otherwise HBO Go would be useless outside the home and completely pointless.
Considering that other video streaming services are often only usable on IP addresses provided by the cable provider, it isn't a completely unfounded question.

For example, I can stream all sorts of live TV to my iPad/iPhone/or Web Browser via the TW TV app, however, it only works when on an IP address provided by TW.

It's not out of the question to think that HBO Go and other services may only work on the IP address associated with your video provider you used to log into the service.

k12g3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I figured out what it was. I had an old version of PeerGuardian installed that was on my startup items list. It was running in the background and blocking many things (mainly flash web players) to not connect. Once I uninstalled, the problem was fixed and HBO Go works like normal.

Thanks for your help!

yarnlass

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I know this board is a bit old, but I'm having the exact same problem and it's only started recently. I don't think I have anything like what the OP said was the cause of his problem (I wouldn't know for sure though, I'm really a computer novice compared to everyone here).

I have a theory that it's because school is out so a lot more kids are at home going online in the middle of the day, because I've used it plenty of times in the past year without having the "hbogo cannot play this video at this time" message. (Our internet isn't the best either, it's slow usually on the weekends even when it's working like normal.) Other than upgrading our Comcast, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do, unless anyone on here has any ideas.

I find it very frustrating because I have a netflix account, and that's been fine mostly without any serious problems, and even the free hulu streaming service works well in the middle of the day. I don't understand why hbogo would be such a hassle compared to these other streaming sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.