Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inspiritu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
(If this is not the best place to seek help, I would very much appreciate steering me to a better place!)

My ISP is Time Warner cable, and I opted for a supposedly very fast option (Extreme, up to 30 mbps).

My main router is a Time Capsule, and I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express in different rooms to help extend the network.

I got a blinking amber light on the TC when I plugged it in, telling me I had a Double NAT problem. So I did some research and put the TC into bridge mode.

We thankfully have a couple things that never seem to have any problem with our wifi--my iPad, my wife's and my iPhones, and our Netflix streaming (via Roku and a PS3) have almost no problems connecting to our wireless network and getting fast speeds.

However, my wife's and my Macbook Pros consistently have a problem--when we open them, they say they connect to the Internet, and we get about 15 seconds or so where they work enough to download our email or whatever.

But then for the next 5-7 minutes, we consistently get a problem where our computers show that they ARE connected to the Internet, but nothing will load at all--we just get spinning wheels and pages that fail to load.

Then after 5-7 minutes, without us doing anything to change the situation, they will magically begin working and then will work just fine.

Anyone know what is going on here? It is only our computers that have the problem. I thought it might be our automatic TC backups, but I disabled that and same problem. I thought it might be Itunes automatically doing Itunes Match but I disabled that and still got same problem.

Should I try to take the TC out of bridge mode? And if so, should I switch it to DHCP only, or DHCP and NAT? Any other suggestions?

I would be very appreciative because it's pretty annoying. And let me know if you need any other info about the situation.

Many many thanks.

Mark

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I'd put the cable modem in bridge mode and let your TC do the NAT.

I have my network set up like this.

I have an Airport Extreme and would rather have that handle as much of the network routing duties as possible. The modem can simply be a modem.

Screenshot is from the Cable Modem setup menu. I have an Arris TG862.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 10.31.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 10.31.48 PM.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 254

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
On some cable modems I think they call it "modem mode" or the like.

I essentially do this with a 2Wire by putting it in DMZ mode, and using a different allocation of IP addresses on the Extreme (since I can't disable the IP addressing in a way the 2Wire likes on the 2Wire itself).

Rob

andrewthomas198

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Never

Never put the Time Capsule into bridge mode. Just click on double NAT in Airport Utility and ignore it. Time capsule will go green and everything will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.