Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is MC even less functional than CMD+TAB?

I've been trying to learn how to use MC but I just can't find a real use for it other than occasionally organizing spaces. I really wish it did more to find open applications and especially minimized windows.

Am I not using the right mindset when using MC? I see it as a way to switch between applications, but I find it barely fulfills this purpose. Is the purpose of MC really just to drag open windows around to different spaces? (And even that has annoying limitations.)

If there is one thing on my wish list for OSX it's better management of open applications. Even CMD+TAB would work better if when switching to an app it brought up all the minimized windows. This would let you quickly perform the app-expose' gesture to find your window.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I like it to select certain windows

I wish though, in using a dual monitor setup that I could drag windows from one to another ala 10.6

Also, which I had a grid for spaces ala 10.6

Honestly, 10.6 functionality with 10.5 expose would be ideal for me!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
For me, Mission Control is beyond idiotic. I like a feature that Leopard brought along, Spaces. I find it is the best feature in OS X when working with multiple applications. Lion made it more useful by just scrolling to that intended desktop space. However the ability to CMD+*insert number here* was also good when switching around.

Exposé! Ah my adored feature after Spaces...

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For me, Mission Control is beyond idiotic. I like a feature that Leopard brought along, Spaces. I find it is the best feature in OS X when working with multiple applications. Lion made it more useful by just scrolling to that intended desktop space. However the ability to CMD+*insert number here* was also good when switching around.

This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect...and then they had to introduce Mission Control that streamlined it way too much. I'll still use it but I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I also miss how in SL, that when in expose, clicking the application icon in the dock would bring up application expose. Used that ALL the time

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
mission control is one of the reasons i bought a mac. spaces was a great concept but it was crap until MC.

with full screen apps MC is pretty much a necessity. sure, cmd+tab does the same thing in theory but it looks like crap and doesn't include desktops. cmd+tab is only good for going back and forth between 2 spaces, not managing multiple ones.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
mission control is one of the reasons i bought a mac. spaces was a great concept but it was crap until MC.

with full screen apps MC is pretty much a necessity. sure, cmd+tab does the same thing in theory but it looks like crap and doesn't include desktops. cmd+tab is only good for going back and forth between 2 spaces, not managing multiple ones.

Clearly, you never used a Mac with Snow Leopard... also, its Mountain Lion, ML... not Mountain Cub, MC... Lol

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I like it fine enough one one monitor (aka my MBA) but I like Windows' multi monitor management much better. I love the aerosnap feature. Hence I always build my own desktops :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect..
Agree. That's one reason why I'm still on SL.

I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.
You do know that ML allows you to "ungroup" all your windows now? (Unlike Lion). It's more like old Expose' except as you stated, all minimized windows go in the dock.

MC is too cluttered. And I can't wrap my head around the behavior logic of full screen apps. For some reason they get their own desktop. Apple should make them behave just like any other window and let me chose whether I want them up top in their own space or not. Then it would be like Old Space + Old Expose' but all in one screen.

I have 6 spaces defined in SL right now. It's such a joy to literally fly through dozens of windows at will without removing a hand from the keyboard.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Clearly, you never used a Mac with Snow Leopard... also, its Mountain Lion, ML... not Mountain Cub, MC... Lol

Lol clearly he meant Mission Control (MC).

I think different people have different preferences. So I wish u can switch between MC or the old exposé. I personally like exposé- for I can actually see my minimized apps. Also more than anything, I would like for apple to fix all the bugs that's in ML and make ML more stable cuz right now it feels like a beta.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I like it fine enough one one monitor (aka my MBA) but I like Windows' multi monitor management much better. I love the aerosnap feature. Hence I always build my own desktops :)

I used aero-peek all the time on my other laptop. It was very useful that you could see previews of tabbed windows either in a minimized browser or Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I like aero-snap but I didn't like Window's window management. It always felt like the ability to have a resizable window was pointless. (Learning what + did vs Maximize in Windows was hard... lol) In OSX I like that it's successfully more organic, especially in ye olden days of true expose'.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Agree. That's one reason why I'm still on SL.

You do know that ML allows you to "ungroup" all your windows now? (Unlike Lion). It's more like old Expose' except as you stated, all minimized windows go in the dock.

MC is too cluttered. And I can't wrap my head around the behavior logic of full screen apps. For some reason they get their own desktop. Apple should make them behave just like any other window and let me chose whether I want them up top in their own space or not. Then it would be like Old Space + Old Expose' but all in one screen.

I have 6 spaces defined in SL right now. It's such a joy to literally fly through dozens of windows at will without removing a hand from the keyboard.

Also, I don't like that with full screen apps, if you have more than one monitor the other monitor is basically grayed out and useless.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I'm a little lost here. Since Command-Tab is the greatest thing ever invented, that's not a great yard stick. Yeah, it's less functional than Command Tab. What isn't? :D

CMD+TAB could still be better if it revealed minimized windows. For instance, press CMD+TAB and each app you highlight shows a little row of minimized windows under it, maybe you can click them or hit the arrow key. Or just reveal all windows when using CMD+TAB as it currently is. Then you can swipe down right after and use app-expose to locate the specific window.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I like it to select certain windows

I wish though, in using a dual monitor setup that I could drag windows from one to another ala 10.6

Also, which I had a grid for spaces ala 10.6

Honestly, 10.6 functionality with 10.5 expose would be ideal for me!

For 10.5/6 "Spaces", developer Stephen Sykes created "ReSpaceApp", which the makers of "TotalFinder", BinaryAge, bought and renamed to "TotalSpaces". It is in beta stage still, so it's free, however I have been helping Stephen debug and improve it for a while and it's prime. It brings everything that "Spaces" was back to 10.7/8. I cut and pasted the features below.

For an "All Windows" 'Exposé", simple uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control" and presto! You have everything that "Snow Leopard" offered (well, everything that is crucial). The only reason I finally moved up into 10.8 from 10.6 was due to these options and the necessity for iCloud (although I have iCloud functioning 100% in 10.6 with some work).

TotalSpaces

Manage your desktops
Display an overview of desktops and drag windows between them.
You can also organise your windows by dragging them from desktop to desktop, and putting them just where you want them.
If you can't see the window you need, just press the space bar, and all the windows will move to visible positions.
If you click on a window it will come to the front, and the space will activate - so it's a quick way to select the window you need to work with.

You can drag windows between desktops when they are exposed like this, and you can cancel this mode by pressing the space bar again.

When dragging a window from one desktop to another (and they are not in exposed mode), you choose to have the system place the window in the same place on the new desktop (as it was in the previous desktop), or to just leave it where you dropped it. This setting is in the General preferences pane.

Multi-monitors
TotalSpaces helps you if you have multiple monitors connected. The layout of your monitors is shown in the overview grid, and you can drag windows between them.
Because the monitor screens are shown together on your main display, you can easily drag windows between each of your monitors.

App assignments
Keep your apps where you want them. Assign apps to desktops.

Hotcorners
Trigger the overview grid just by moving your mouse.

Define your grid
Navigate left, right, up and down between your desktops.

Swipe between desktops
Moving around your grid has never been easier

Attachments

• showcase-layout-preferences.png
    showcase-layout-preferences.png
    787.2 KB · Views: 219
  • grid-view.png
    grid-view.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 198
  • drag-windows.png
    drag-windows.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 156
  • multi-grid.png
    multi-grid.png
    213.9 KB · Views: 172

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I used aero-peek all the time on my other laptop. It was very useful that you could see previews of tabbed windows either in a minimized browser or Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I like aero-snap but I didn't like Window's window management. It always felt like the ability to have a resizable window was pointless. (Learning what + did vs Maximize in Windows was hard... lol) In OSX I like that it's successfully more organic, especially in ye olden days of true expose'.

Lol I'm the complete opposite. I LOVE I mean LOVE aero snap. It makes viewing 2 files at the same time a breeze Especially if u only have one monitor. Aero peek not so much bc the preview is so tiny but I like to use it with the windows media player to skip songs or rate songs <3. I just wish osx have jump list like windows 7. I get aero snap from better touch tools. All I need is my jump list where I can pin files to apps. Anyone know how I can get it on osx?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I did not know that! But of course Apple goes half-assed and goes back to Leopard where everything is scattered (which is fine, beats having to expand grouped windows) but couldn't they at least go back to how Snow Leopard organized the windows?

But anyway, NO MORE STUPID GROUPED WINDOWS! :D

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
For 10.5/6 "Spaces", developer Stephen Sykes created "ReSpaceApp", which the makers of "TotalFinder", BinaryAge, bought and renamed to "TotalSpaces". It is in beta stage still, so it's free, however I have been helping Stephen debug and improve it for a while and it's prime. It brings everything that "Spaces" was back to 10.7/8. I cut and pasted the features below.

For an "All Windows" 'Exposé", simple uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control" and presto! You have everything that "Snow Leopard" offered (well, everything that is crucial). The only reason I finally moved up into 10.8 from 10.6 was due to these options and the necessity for iCloud (although I have iCloud functioning 100% in 10.6 with some work).

TotalSpaces

Manage your desktops
Display an overview of desktops and drag windows between them.
You can also organise your windows by dragging them from desktop to desktop, and putting them just where you want them.
If you can't see the window you need, just press the space bar, and all the windows will move to visible positions.
If you click on a window it will come to the front, and the space will activate - so it's a quick way to select the window you need to work with.

You can drag windows between desktops when they are exposed like this, and you can cancel this mode by pressing the space bar again.

When dragging a window from one desktop to another (and they are not in exposed mode), you choose to have the system place the window in the same place on the new desktop (as it was in the previous desktop), or to just leave it where you dropped it. This setting is in the General preferences pane.

Multi-monitors
TotalSpaces helps you if you have multiple monitors connected. The layout of your monitors is shown in the overview grid, and you can drag windows between them.
Because the monitor screens are shown together on your main display, you can easily drag windows between each of your monitors.

App assignments
Keep your apps where you want them. Assign apps to desktops.

Hotcorners
Trigger the overview grid just by moving your mouse.

Define your grid
Navigate left, right, up and down between your desktops.

Swipe between desktops
Moving around your grid has never been easier

That looks great, how does it run on Retina?

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I did not know that! But of course Apple goes half-assed and goes back to Leopard where everything is scattered (which is fine, beats having to expand grouped windows) but couldn't they at least go back to how Snow Leopard organized the windows?

But anyway, NO MORE STUPID GROUPED WINDOWS! :D

I like Mountain Lion's MC because it brings back Leopard-esque Exposé. I hated how all the windows were the same size in Snow Leopard's Exposé.

I also miss how in SL, that when in expose, clicking the application icon in the dock would bring up application expose. Used that ALL the time

4 finger swipe down while hovering over a dock icon will activate App Exposé for that app.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
4 finger swipe down while hovering over a dock icon will activate App Exposé for that app.

App Expose' is cool, but it works differently depending on the app, I don't get that. I guess it's dependent on App makers to get it working right? Makes more sense if it's the case.

----------

Lol I'm the complete opposite. I LOVE I mean LOVE aero snap. It makes viewing 2 files at the same time a breeze Especially if u only have one monitor. Aero peek not so much bc the preview is so tiny but I like to use it with the windows media player to skip songs or rate songs <3. I just wish osx have jump list like windows 7. I get aero snap from better touch tools. All I need is my jump list where I can pin files to apps. Anyone know how I can get it on osx?

I don't know about pinning files but you could try a smart folder on the dock.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect...and then they had to introduce Mission Control that streamlined it way too much. I'll still use it but I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.

To prevent grouped windows in ML's MC, go to System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Uncheck "Group windows by application".

----------

There a quick way to do app expose without a trackpad?

You can customize a keyboard shortcut. Aside from that, if you have a Magic Mouse, you can two-finger double-tap on the app's icon in your dock to do exposè for that app.

----------

I use BetterSnapTool in lieu of Aerosnap.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
CMD+TAB could still be better if it revealed minimized windows. For instance, press CMD+TAB and each app you highlight shows a little row of minimized windows under it, maybe you can click them or hit the arrow key. Or just reveal all windows when using CMD+TAB as it currently is. Then you can swipe down right after and use app-expose to locate the specific window.

Sorry, but this is sounding more mission-controlly by the word. Hands off Command-Tab!

I don't want it more visual. The entire point is to hit it and have it work faster than you can see it. When I switch between 2 programs I hit it so fast the computer doesn't even put the graphic on screen at all.

It's a much faster, easier version of Apple's current "use full-screen apps and swipe through them with 4 fingers." Yeah, that's a step backwards from what I have right now, and adding more images and mouse-clicks to Command Tab would similarly be a step back.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.