Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
sireShonBohn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Mission Control: Is it basically useless?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is MC even less functional than CMD+TAB?

I've been trying to learn how to use MC but I just can't find a real use for it other than occasionally organizing spaces. I really wish it did more to find open applications and especially minimized windows.

Am I not using the right mindset when using MC? I see it as a way to switch between applications, but I find it barely fulfills this purpose. Is the purpose of MC really just to drag open windows around to different spaces? (And even that has annoying limitations.)

If there is one thing on my wish list for OSX it's better management of open applications. Even CMD+TAB would work better if when switching to an app it brought up all the minimized windows. This would let you quickly perform the app-expose' gesture to find your window.
sireShonBohn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
I like it to select certain windows

I wish though, in using a dual monitor setup that I could drag windows from one to another ala 10.6

Also, which I had a grid for spaces ala 10.6

Honestly, 10.6 functionality with 10.5 expose would be ideal for me!
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
For me, Mission Control is beyond idiotic. I like a feature that Leopard brought along, Spaces. I find it is the best feature in OS X when working with multiple applications. Lion made it more useful by just scrolling to that intended desktop space. However the ability to CMD+*insert number here* was also good when switching around.

Exposť! Ah my adored feature after Spaces...
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:01 PM   #4
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
For me, Mission Control is beyond idiotic. I like a feature that Leopard brought along, Spaces. I find it is the best feature in OS X when working with multiple applications. Lion made it more useful by just scrolling to that intended desktop space. However the ability to CMD+*insert number here* was also good when switching around.

Exposť! Ah my adored feature after Spaces...
This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect...and then they had to introduce Mission Control that streamlined it way too much. I'll still use it but I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:02 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
For me, Mission Control is beyond idiotic. I like a feature that Leopard brought along, Spaces. I find it is the best feature in OS X when working with multiple applications. Lion made it more useful by just scrolling to that intended desktop space. However the ability to CMD+*insert number here* was also good when switching around.

Exposť! Ah my adored feature after Spaces...
I also miss how in SL, that when in expose, clicking the application icon in the dock would bring up application expose. Used that ALL the time
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I also miss how in SL, that when in expose, clicking the application icon in the dock would bring up application expose. Used that ALL the time
YES!! I thought I was the only one! They ruined Expose/Spaces so much and how elegantly Snow Leopard handled Expose...
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sireShonBohn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is MC even less functional than CMD+TAB?
I'm a little lost here. Since Command-Tab is the greatest thing ever invented, that's not a great yard stick. Yeah, it's less functional than Command Tab. What isn't?
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Lvivske
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
mission control is one of the reasons i bought a mac. spaces was a great concept but it was crap until MC.

with full screen apps MC is pretty much a necessity. sure, cmd+tab does the same thing in theory but it looks like crap and doesn't include desktops. cmd+tab is only good for going back and forth between 2 spaces, not managing multiple ones.
Lvivske is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
mission control is one of the reasons i bought a mac. spaces was a great concept but it was crap until MC.

with full screen apps MC is pretty much a necessity. sure, cmd+tab does the same thing in theory but it looks like crap and doesn't include desktops. cmd+tab is only good for going back and forth between 2 spaces, not managing multiple ones.
Clearly, you never used a Mac with Snow Leopard... also, its Mountain Lion, ML... not Mountain Cub, MC... Lol
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:52 PM   #10
boomboom2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I like it fine enough one one monitor (aka my MBA) but I like Windows' multi monitor management much better. I love the aerosnap feature. Hence I always build my own desktops
boomboom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect..
Agree. That's one reason why I'm still on SL.

Quote:
I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.
You do know that ML allows you to "ungroup" all your windows now? (Unlike Lion). It's more like old Expose' except as you stated, all minimized windows go in the dock.

MC is too cluttered. And I can't wrap my head around the behavior logic of full screen apps. For some reason they get their own desktop. Apple should make them behave just like any other window and let me chose whether I want them up top in their own space or not. Then it would be like Old Space + Old Expose' but all in one screen.

I have 6 spaces defined in SL right now. It's such a joy to literally fly through dozens of windows at will without removing a hand from the keyboard.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
concernedone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Clearly, you never used a Mac with Snow Leopard... also, its Mountain Lion, ML... not Mountain Cub, MC... Lol
Lol clearly he meant Mission Control (MC).

I think different people have different preferences. So I wish u can switch between MC or the old exposť. I personally like exposť- for I can actually see my minimized apps. Also more than anything, I would like for apple to fix all the bugs that's in ML and make ML more stable cuz right now it feels like a beta.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13"; 2011 iMac 27 i5
How to Geek your Mac Desktop
My Designs
concernedone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:19 AM   #13
sireShonBohn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom2 View Post
I like it fine enough one one monitor (aka my MBA) but I like Windows' multi monitor management much better. I love the aerosnap feature. Hence I always build my own desktops
I used aero-peek all the time on my other laptop. It was very useful that you could see previews of tabbed windows either in a minimized browser or Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I like aero-snap but I didn't like Window's window management. It always felt like the ability to have a resizable window was pointless. (Learning what + did vs Maximize in Windows was hard... lol) In OSX I like that it's successfully more organic, especially in ye olden days of true expose'.
sireShonBohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #14
concernedone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Agree. That's one reason why I'm still on SL.

You do know that ML allows you to "ungroup" all your windows now? (Unlike Lion). It's more like old Expose' except as you stated, all minimized windows go in the dock.

MC is too cluttered. And I can't wrap my head around the behavior logic of full screen apps. For some reason they get their own desktop. Apple should make them behave just like any other window and let me chose whether I want them up top in their own space or not. Then it would be like Old Space + Old Expose' but all in one screen.

I have 6 spaces defined in SL right now. It's such a joy to literally fly through dozens of windows at will without removing a hand from the keyboard.

Also, I don't like that with full screen apps, if you have more than one monitor the other monitor is basically grayed out and useless.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13"; 2011 iMac 27 i5
How to Geek your Mac Desktop
My Designs
concernedone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #15
sireShonBohn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I'm a little lost here. Since Command-Tab is the greatest thing ever invented, that's not a great yard stick. Yeah, it's less functional than Command Tab. What isn't?
CMD+TAB could still be better if it revealed minimized windows. For instance, press CMD+TAB and each app you highlight shows a little row of minimized windows under it, maybe you can click them or hit the arrow key. Or just reveal all windows when using CMD+TAB as it currently is. Then you can swipe down right after and use app-expose to locate the specific window.
sireShonBohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #16
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I like it to select certain windows

I wish though, in using a dual monitor setup that I could drag windows from one to another ala 10.6

Also, which I had a grid for spaces ala 10.6

Honestly, 10.6 functionality with 10.5 expose would be ideal for me!
For 10.5/6 "Spaces", developer Stephen Sykes created "ReSpaceApp", which the makers of "TotalFinder", BinaryAge, bought and renamed to "TotalSpaces". It is in beta stage still, so it's free, however I have been helping Stephen debug and improve it for a while and it's prime. It brings everything that "Spaces" was back to 10.7/8. I cut and pasted the features below.

For an "All Windows" 'Exposť", simple uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control" and presto! You have everything that "Snow Leopard" offered (well, everything that is crucial). The only reason I finally moved up into 10.8 from 10.6 was due to these options and the necessity for iCloud (although I have iCloud functioning 100% in 10.6 with some work).

TotalSpaces

Manage your desktops
Display an overview of desktops and drag windows between them.
You can also organise your windows by dragging them from desktop to desktop, and putting them just where you want them.
If you can't see the window you need, just press the space bar, and all the windows will move to visible positions.
If you click on a window it will come to the front, and the space will activate - so it's a quick way to select the window you need to work with.

You can drag windows between desktops when they are exposed like this, and you can cancel this mode by pressing the space bar again.

When dragging a window from one desktop to another (and they are not in exposed mode), you choose to have the system place the window in the same place on the new desktop (as it was in the previous desktop), or to just leave it where you dropped it. This setting is in the General preferences pane.

Multi-monitors
TotalSpaces helps you if you have multiple monitors connected. The layout of your monitors is shown in the overview grid, and you can drag windows between them.
Because the monitor screens are shown together on your main display, you can easily drag windows between each of your monitors.

App assignments
Keep your apps where you want them. Assign apps to desktops.

Hotcorners
Trigger the overview grid just by moving your mouse.

Define your grid
Navigate left, right, up and down between your desktops.

Swipe between desktops
Moving around your grid has never been easier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showcase-layout-preferences.png
Views:	46
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	351113   Click image for larger version

Name:	grid-view.png
Views:	61
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	351115   Click image for larger version

Name:	drag-windows.png
Views:	34
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	351116  

Click image for larger version

Name:	multi-grid.png
Views:	39
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	351117  
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:27 AM   #17
concernedone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sireShonBohn View Post
I used aero-peek all the time on my other laptop. It was very useful that you could see previews of tabbed windows either in a minimized browser or Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I like aero-snap but I didn't like Window's window management. It always felt like the ability to have a resizable window was pointless. (Learning what + did vs Maximize in Windows was hard... lol) In OSX I like that it's successfully more organic, especially in ye olden days of true expose'.

Lol I'm the complete opposite. I LOVE I mean LOVE aero snap. It makes viewing 2 files at the same time a breeze Especially if u only have one monitor. Aero peek not so much bc the preview is so tiny but I like to use it with the windows media player to skip songs or rate songs <3. I just wish osx have jump list like windows 7. I get aero snap from better touch tools. All I need is my jump list where I can pin files to apps. Anyone know how I can get it on osx?
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13"; 2011 iMac 27 i5
How to Geek your Mac Desktop
My Designs
concernedone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:31 AM   #18
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
You do know that ML allows you to "ungroup" all your windows now? (Unlike Lion). It's more like old Expose' except as you stated, all minimized windows go in the dock.
I did not know that! But of course Apple goes half-assed and goes back to Leopard where everything is scattered (which is fine, beats having to expand grouped windows) but couldn't they at least go back to how Snow Leopard organized the windows?

But anyway, NO MORE STUPID GROUPED WINDOWS!
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:34 AM   #19
sireShonBohn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
For 10.5/6 "Spaces", developer Stephen Sykes created "ReSpaceApp", which the makers of "TotalFinder", BinaryAge, bought and renamed to "TotalSpaces". It is in beta stage still, so it's free, however I have been helping Stephen debug and improve it for a while and it's prime. It brings everything that "Spaces" was back to 10.7/8. I cut and pasted the features below.

For an "All Windows" 'Exposť", simple uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control" and presto! You have everything that "Snow Leopard" offered (well, everything that is crucial). The only reason I finally moved up into 10.8 from 10.6 was due to these options and the necessity for iCloud (although I have iCloud functioning 100% in 10.6 with some work).

TotalSpaces

Manage your desktops
Display an overview of desktops and drag windows between them.
You can also organise your windows by dragging them from desktop to desktop, and putting them just where you want them.
If you can't see the window you need, just press the space bar, and all the windows will move to visible positions.
If you click on a window it will come to the front, and the space will activate - so it's a quick way to select the window you need to work with.

You can drag windows between desktops when they are exposed like this, and you can cancel this mode by pressing the space bar again.

When dragging a window from one desktop to another (and they are not in exposed mode), you choose to have the system place the window in the same place on the new desktop (as it was in the previous desktop), or to just leave it where you dropped it. This setting is in the General preferences pane.

Multi-monitors
TotalSpaces helps you if you have multiple monitors connected. The layout of your monitors is shown in the overview grid, and you can drag windows between them.
Because the monitor screens are shown together on your main display, you can easily drag windows between each of your monitors.

App assignments
Keep your apps where you want them. Assign apps to desktops.

Hotcorners
Trigger the overview grid just by moving your mouse.

Define your grid
Navigate left, right, up and down between your desktops.

Swipe between desktops
Moving around your grid has never been easier
That looks great, how does it run on Retina?
sireShonBohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 01:07 AM   #20
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
I did not know that! But of course Apple goes half-assed and goes back to Leopard where everything is scattered (which is fine, beats having to expand grouped windows) but couldn't they at least go back to how Snow Leopard organized the windows?

But anyway, NO MORE STUPID GROUPED WINDOWS!
I like Mountain Lion's MC because it brings back Leopard-esque Exposť. I hated how all the windows were the same size in Snow Leopard's Exposť.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I also miss how in SL, that when in expose, clicking the application icon in the dock would bring up application expose. Used that ALL the time
4 finger swipe down while hovering over a dock icon will activate App Exposť for that app.
VTECaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 01:44 AM   #21
sireShonBohn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post

4 finger swipe down while hovering over a dock icon will activate App Exposť for that app.
App Expose' is cool, but it works differently depending on the app, I don't get that. I guess it's dependent on App makers to get it working right? Makes more sense if it's the case.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedone View Post
Lol I'm the complete opposite. I LOVE I mean LOVE aero snap. It makes viewing 2 files at the same time a breeze Especially if u only have one monitor. Aero peek not so much bc the preview is so tiny but I like to use it with the windows media player to skip songs or rate songs <3. I just wish osx have jump list like windows 7. I get aero snap from better touch tools. All I need is my jump list where I can pin files to apps. Anyone know how I can get it on osx?
I don't know about pinning files but you could try a smart folder on the dock.
sireShonBohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 01:48 AM   #22
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I like Mountain Lion's MC because it brings back Leopard-esque Exposť. I hated how all the windows were the same size in Snow Leopard's Exposť.



4 finger swipe down while hovering over a dock icon will activate App Exposť for that app.
There a quick way to do app expose without a trackpad?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:49 AM   #23
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
This. Spaces/Expose in Leopard/Snow Leopard was perfect...and then they had to introduce Mission Control that streamlined it way too much. I'll still use it but I hate expanding grouped windows for one application...and I don't see my minimized windows unless I expose that one app. Oh well.
To prevent grouped windows in ML's MC, go to System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Uncheck "Group windows by application".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
There a quick way to do app expose without a trackpad?
You can customize a keyboard shortcut. Aside from that, if you have a Magic Mouse, you can two-finger double-tap on the app's icon in your dock to do exposŤ for that app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom2 View Post
I like it fine enough one one monitor (aka my MBA) but I like Windows' multi monitor management much better. I love the aerosnap feature. Hence I always build my own desktops
I use BetterSnapTool in lieu of Aerosnap.
RolandNights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:11 AM   #24
Arctix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
There a quick way to do app expose without a trackpad?
Set up a hot corner for it (in Mission Control options).
Arctix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 08:01 AM   #25
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sireShonBohn View Post
CMD+TAB could still be better if it revealed minimized windows. For instance, press CMD+TAB and each app you highlight shows a little row of minimized windows under it, maybe you can click them or hit the arrow key. Or just reveal all windows when using CMD+TAB as it currently is. Then you can swipe down right after and use app-expose to locate the specific window.
Sorry, but this is sounding more mission-controlly by the word. Hands off Command-Tab!

I don't want it more visual. The entire point is to hit it and have it work faster than you can see it. When I switch between 2 programs I hit it so fast the computer doesn't even put the graphic on screen at all.

It's a much faster, easier version of Apple's current "use full-screen apps and swipe through them with 4 fingers." Yeah, that's a step backwards from what I have right now, and adding more images and mouse-clicks to Command Tab would similarly be a step back.

Last edited by Small White Car; Aug 2, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mission Control response sonicrobby OS X Mavericks (10.9) 8 Oct 14, 2013 02:11 AM
Mission Control mess iRock1 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Nov 29, 2012 10:14 PM
Mac crashes when using control panel, expose or mission control AdamTwosleeves Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 1 Aug 21, 2012 11:17 PM
Mission Control & Command-Control Key Swap Babyboi Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Aug 2, 2012 11:58 PM
Mission Control Swipe Down? vincebio OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Jul 27, 2012 03:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC