Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey all,

I have an old G3 iBook Clamshell SE Graphite, with OS X 10.4.11 on it. I have recently run into some problems when attempting to run Software Update on the machine. The previous owner had not run an update on it since 2005, so I decided to update the OS and get all security patches available for it. I installed the Tiger Combo Update, among other patches, and everything went fine. However, when I attempted to install the last Safari and Java updates released for 10.4, I hit a snag.

Software Update found and identified the updates without a problem, however when I attempted to install, the program would crash and offer to restart or close.

I deleted all of the relevant Software Update.plist files, as well as the Software Update cache in the /Users/Library folder, and then did a system reboot, but it didn't help.

I also booted into Safe Mode, repaired permissions with Disk Utility, and restarted, but that didn't help either.

I created a new account, and the problem replicated itself on the new user account as well.

I opened the Console to check the error log after Software Update would crash, and the results are similar to what this poster experienced in this Macworld thread. Unfortunately, the solution to that thread was to upgrade to Leopard, something that I cannot do with this machine.

Interestingly enough, when I attempted to install the software from the Terminal, using the command:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

the installation worked and the updates were applied successfully!

I'm wondering if the failure for the graphical Software Update.app to work was due to a corrupt or missing download file or a bad checksum, or something else. I know it was a system-wide problem, because the program continued to crash even in a fresh user account.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what the cause of the program was, or - perhaps more importantly - what a viable solution would be besides resorting to the command line? I'm guessing I would have had to perform a clean install of Tiger, because I can't think of anything else I could have done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.