Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killer2239

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Hey all, so I am a new, but not new user to mac. Had a 17" Aluminum Macbook Pro then a iMac G5 when it first came out back in like 2003ish, and have continued to use / support a little bit here and there over the years. So anyways, onto my actual question.

Recently purchased a 13" Macbook Air 2012 model, and just upgraded to ML. I use RSS feeds a lot, so generally I use Google Reader's website. I was hoping to find a program like Reeder or something that works really well with gestures. So far the only one that seems to support it at all is Reeder, however I hate the fact that you have to switch it to 3 or 4 finger gestures to make it work right. Is there another program out there that you can load your list from Google, and swipe left or right with 2 fingers to move onto the next feed?

Now for question 2. I have a mac mini as well that my roommate just moved into the main room to use as our media center. Currently we use XBMC and have external storage bay hooked up for space, generally we use a remote mouse software from our phones to control it, or use apple remote inside of xbmc. However, there are times where we need to VNC or Share Screen into the machine to control it. We have noticed that the built in Screen Share is garbage, both connected over wifi 5ghz with linksys e3200 router. Its like the screen to refresh on the screen share takes 15-30seconds to update and show anything. From what I could find searching google, it appears that this might be normal? How does Apple get away with such a crappy built in share feature? $80 for that Apple Remote software on their site and its garbage too. Is there a fix to that, or just have to use something like logmein? If there is a better solution than using native screen share please let me now what server & client to use, this is for Mac to Mac connection.

Hope you all can help me with some apps to make this experience better.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There are some other applications that set up screen sharing on your Mac, like Splashtop, but I'm not sure that they'd improve on the speed since they'd might use the Mac's built-in VNC server. Or you could try running a different VNC server. Or maybe a different app; I use Remoter VNC and it's pretty quick.

killer2239

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion for remote software. Does anyone else here have any suggestions for these 2 apps I asked about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.