Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Leeloo the 5th
macrumors member

How to change a comma in a dot?

Hey all, I hope I've posted this in the right forum! Here is my "problem": when pressing the "dot" key in the numeric pad on my Apple keyboard (next to the "0" and right under the "3"), a comma appears. Now when typing in numbers, I much more often need the dot than the comma, and I find it slows me down quite a bit to go and press shift+; to make the dot (I have a Belgian keyboard).
What can I do in order to have a dot appear instead of a comma when I use the key in the num pad?
Thanks!
Leeloo the 5th is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeloo the 5th
Hey all, I hope I've posted this in the right forum! Here is my "problem": when pressing the "dot" key in the numeric pad on my Apple keyboard (next to the "0" and right under the "3"), a comma appears. Now when typing in numbers, I much more often need the dot than the comma, and I find it slows me down quite a bit to go and press shift+; to make the dot (I have a Belgian keyboard).
What can I do in order to have a dot appear instead of a comma when I use the key in the num pad?
Thanks!
I think Preferences-->International-->Format should fix it. If you change the preferences for decimal and separator to the U.S. version (. for decimal, comma for separator) as opposed to the Euro version (reverse of that), that might get the problem fixed.

Alternatively, change the keyboard type to U.S. You may have to adjust on other keys, but that woudl get the english approach.
Le Big Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Leeloo the 5th
macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried them but unfortunately they didn't help. Changing the international format doesn't change the comma into a dot. Changing the keyboard layout however does make that change, but then the rest of the keyboard is hell to use (Belgian keyboards are azerty, not qwerty, ...).
Isn't there an app to change the character that is assigned to individual keys?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:47 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

There used to be a program that let you re-map any key, but I'm not sure it supports Tiger:

http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html

There also appear to be ways to make a custom keyboard layout that is almost identical to the US one, but has the re-mapping you want, but it doesn't seem to be so easy:

http://www.snark.de/index.cgi/0007
Old Aug 5, 2005, 05:11 AM   #5
Leeloo the 5th
macrumors member

Thanks for the help! Finally - and by chance - I found a very simple solution! I'm writing it down here, so if people have a similar problem and search the forums, this might help.
To change the comma, that appears when using the numeric pad, in a dot, I just press Shift at the same time. I do that with my left hand, which leaves my right hand free to quickly type numbers and dots, which is what I usually do.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:32 AM   #6
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Great tip, thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:08 AM   #7
Jemain
macrumors newbie

THX!!!

Was looking for this, every time i had to type in an IP address (which I have to do a LOT) i had to go type in the numbers and dots on left side of keyboard.
This will save me hours

Thx man
Jemain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Halcyon
macrumors 6502

There's an app called UKELELE that lets you easily remap your keyboard to whatever you desire.

HTH
8GB iPod Touch
Halcyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:34 PM   #9
jcvanderwal
macrumors newbie

I use KeyRemap4macbook [1] to reassign the dot on the numeric keypad. Select the "Swap Dot and Shift+Dot" option.

[1] https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/
jcvanderwal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X