Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGamecocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I have a 2011 MBP with Lion and I love it. The new notifications feature in Mountain Lion sounds pretty cool, as does the Messages. But, I already have the Messages Beta application on my MBP.

Are there any big reasons that I don't know about that would convince me to upgrade? I am just afraid that I might run into problems like decreased battery life, and that is a headache I want to avoid.

Last edited:

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have a 2011 MBP with Lion and I love it. The new notifications feature in Mountain Lion sounds pretty cool, as does the Messages. But, I already have the Messages Beta application on my MBP.

Are there any big reasons that I don't know about that would convince me to upgrade? I am just afraid that I might run into problems like decreased battery life, and that is a headache I want to avoid.

Notifications Centre, Documents in the Cloud, Dictation et al all for $20. No brainer for me - go ahead and do it!!! No problems on my 2010 MBP re: battery life.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Deeper iCloud integration is great if you have an iOS device. If you have a 2011 or 2012 mac Airplay mirroring with an Apple TV seems great.

GoGamecocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Deeper iCloud integration is great if you have an iOS device. If you have a 2011 or 2012 mac Airplay mirroring with an Apple TV seems great.

Would you mind elaborating on that please? I do have an iPhone 4.

As for the Apple TV, I just use an HDMI cable. Not sure how much Apple TV differs from that.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Do a complete backup, create a second partition, download a free copy (you know what I mean), try it on the new partition for a day or two. If you like it, buy it. If not, restore your computer with the backup you made earlier.

But regarding battery life, I use it four or five hours a day with no charger, haven't noticed anything drastically different.

----------

As for the Apple TV, I just use an HDMI cable. Not sure how much Apple TV differs from that.

The ATV differs in the sense that you won't need to anchor down your laptop anymore :)

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I'm pretty sure the Messages Beta under Lion is going to or has expired.

The Reminders and Notes integration with iOS is nice (both now have mac applications and will sync with your iOS device.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

Reminders and notes are synced to your phone.
If you use iwork for ios any changes are synced with the mac version
Messages on your mac. I would assume the Mountain lion version is better then the Beta for Lion.

Power Nap gone are the days of waiting for updated emails and software updates.
When your Mac goes to sleep, it still gets things done with Power Nap.3 It periodically updates Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac and Documents in the Cloud. When your Mac is connected to a power source, it downloads software updates and makes backups with Time Machine. While all that updating is going on, the system sounds are silent and no lights or fans come on, so nothing disturbs you. And when your Mac wakes up, it’s good to go.

Cross platform Game center gaming.
Tab sync and unified search field in Safari

Airplay mirroring
AirPlay Mirroring is made for an audience. Because with a click, what’s on your Mac is also on your HDTV. It’s easy to set up with Apple TV. Show web pages and videos to friends on the couch, share lessons with a classroom or present to a conference room. AirPlay audio streams the music, podcasts and other audio on your Mac to AirPlay-enabled speakers. It’s a big deal for your Mac. And for everyone around it.

http://www.apple.com/ca/osx/whats-new/

Edit Seeing as you have a rMBP you have one of the newest Apple laptops meaning you can take advantage of all the goodies Apple doesn't want to give pre 2011 users.

Last edited:

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
It's $20 and provides a ton of support for iCloud and iOS so if you own an iPhone or iPad it's a big improvement. That alone is worth the price.

GoGamecocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Thank you all so much for answering my questions. Each response was very helpful and I will probably upgrade to Mountain Lion later today or this weekend. Plus, I might have to get Apple TV since it seems easier to manage than the HDMI cable I use. So, thank you for mentioning that to me.

One more final question though, should I delete Messages Beta from my computer before I upgrade? And I will probably just upgrade instead of doing a clean install, since there haven't been too many issues with upgrading for posters on this board.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Thank you all so much for answering my questions. Each response was very helpful and I will probably upgrade to Mountain Lion later today or this weekend. Plus, I might have to get Apple TV since it seems easier to manage than the HDMI cable I use. So, thank you for mentioning that to me.

One more final question though, should I delete Messages Beta from my computer before I upgrade? And I will probably just upgrade instead of doing a clean install, since there haven't been too many issues with upgrading for posters on this board.

it's alot easier to manage with an Apple TV. I would remove messages beta to be on the safe side. I prefer a clean install it allows me to start fresh and see which apps and files I really need. To each there own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.