Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hello guys,

I have a problem. I just upgraded my macbook pro late 2011 from lion to mountain lion. After the upgrade finished my macbook pro turned out to be a bit slow and i decided to do a clean install to solve all the problems.

I booted the macbook holding cmd + r and went into the mountain lion recovery partition.

From here i entered the disk utility and erased my hdd (journaled) and started the osx setup.

The problem is that the installation just won't start.. It asks me to select a disk to install it to, so i select my hdd i just erased. Then a message pops up asking me to sign into my apple id to check if the os can be installed to my pc. When i enter the apple id details and press next it just doesn't do anything. It returns to the hdd selection screen and if i press install again the login popup shows back up and asks me to login again. I can repeat this 200 times but the setup isn't starting..

Does anyone have any ideas?

echo.park

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Apples servers have problems with logging in. App Store is faulty. Several people report this from around the world. Use another Mac to download from App Store and create a USB to install. Or simply wait for the problems to be solved.

Nipje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Ah that is wierd. On a other mac i am able to login into the app store.

Anyway:

What option for a clean install is the best to choose? Does it matter if i make a bootlable usb stick or use this way for a clean install in any way?

Nipje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
The setup still isn´t working. Are you sure this is a problem with the login servers?

Does anyone else know what could be wrong?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Ah that is wierd. On a other mac i am able to login into the app store.

Anyway:

What option for a clean install is the best to choose? Does it matter if i make a bootlable usb stick or use this way for a clean install in any way?

This thread should demonstrate the perils of erasing your disk and reinstalling the software. Before you ever attempt to throw your stuff away and start over you should have a very good idea of what you're doing. And a backup that you have tested, so you are SURE that it's good. Preferably a clone you can boot into.

The best "option" for a clean install depends on why you are erasing your disk. And what kind of backup you have.

The OP is stuck because he has to restart his mac from the recovery partitiion. And then download from Apple. Which even if successful, takes forever.

Again, do some research on cloning, the difference between a bootable installer and just an installer on a thumb drive, how to make those, how to install ML on an external, and so on. Then you'll be ready to choose one. There is no one-method-fits-all; some methods are for emergency only, some more forgiving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.