Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusmahler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
It turns out that my son loaded all of his music on my SSD instead of the data drive, meaning that there is very little space on the SSD. I would like to move the iTunes library to the data drive.

I found this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

and I started following the steps. In step 11, it says to go to File > Library > Organize Library, then Consolidate files to move the files to the new location.
I tried that in his account and it says

"Copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your iTunes Media folder or a folder within in it."

I immediately figured that was because his User Account is not an Administrator account. So I made him an Administrator and tried the same thing. Same result.

What is the problem?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011

Locate your iTunes Media folder. If you are not sure where your iTunes Media folder is located, launch iTunes, open Preferences from the iTunes Menu and click Advanced. This will show you where the iTunes Media folder is located.

Select the iTunes Media folder.

From the File menu, choose Get Info.

Click the disclosure triangle to open the Ownership and Permissions section of the Info window.

Set the permissions as follows (you may be prompted to enter an administrator account password):

Owner: access Read & Write

Group: access Read Only

Others: access Read Only

Click the "Apply to enclosed items" button.

Close the Get Info window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.