Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
macswitcha2
macrumors 65816

clean install and apple iD

I backed up my mountain lion equipped mac then restarted by holding down option and R so I can wipe my disk clean again to do a fresh install of ML again. However, it only gives me the option to reinstall. I have my thumb drive with the lion installer so why is it not booting up from that? Also, when i try to reinstall ML, it continuously ask me for my Apple I.D. even after putting it in correctly.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
littledude8209
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macswitcha2 View Post
I backed up my mountain lion equipped mac then restarted by holding down option and R so I can wipe my disk clean again to do a fresh install of ML again. However, it only gives me the option to reinstall. I have my thumb drive with the lion installer so why is it not booting up from that? Also, when i try to reinstall ML, it continuously ask me for my Apple I.D. even after putting it in correctly.

What am I doing wrong?
To boot from a USB drive, you need to hold down the option key while booting, and select the USB drive. You can't erase the hard drive while in the recovery partition because the recovery partition is ON the main HD. You may need to make a Mountain Lion USB drive though, because my last attempt at booting a lion drive from ML failed horribly.

Hope that helps!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion