Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I got Portal 2 for my birthday a few months ago, but because I was so busy planning a wedding and stuff, I didn't even have time to take the shrinkwrap off. I finally unpacked it a few days ago, and I got an error w/ my CD key. I see that this is well - documented, and it happens a lot. I opened a ticket w/ Valve support, and they said I needed a gift receipt. I don't even know which relative got it for me, let alone which store they bought it at.

I think Valve is going to "win" on this one. I really would rather play it on my rMBP than on my PS3. If I just re-buy Portal 2 on Steam, can I still link my PSN account to the game? Or is it a special version of Portal 2 that I need to get? Thanks!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Thanks - i've already done all that on my PS3. My question was whether not I needed to buy a special version of portal 2 or not. You could have answered that w/ less copying and pasting, and you would have gotten the same "just google it" type of attitude you were looking for. I'll give ya another chance. Thanks! :D

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
There wasn't a "special version" of the game made, all PS3 copies of the game came with a code for the PC/Mac. What error is it giving you? I can't remember the process I went thru when I got the game, it was so long ago.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
There wasn't a "special version" of the game made, all PS3 copies of the game came with a code for the PC/Mac. What error is it giving you? I can't remember the process I went thru when I got the game, it was so long ago.
Okay thanks!

The error is when I try to redeem my code for my free copy of Portal 2 on Steam. It tells me that it has already been used by another account. This is just a bogus code, as I just took the shrink wrap of the game off. If I would have known this was going to be an issue, I could have video'd my taking the shrink wrap off! In any case, the only way they'll give me a new code is if I give them a receipt. I don't think I'll be able to dig up one of those... it was a gift, and it was gifted month's ago. I don't remember who gave it to me.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Okay thanks!

The error is when I try to redeem my code for my free copy of Portal 2 on Steam. It tells me that it has already been used by another account. This is just a bogus code, as I just took the shrink wrap of the game off. If I would have known this was going to be an issue, I could have video'd my taking the shrink wrap off! In any case, the only way they'll give me a new code is if I give them a receipt. I don't think I'll be able to dig up one of those... it was a gift, and it was gifted month's ago. I don't remember who gave it to me.

Was there an expiration date on the card with the code on it? Maybe it had to be redeemed within a set amount of time.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Was there an expiration date on the card with the code on it? Maybe it had to be redeemed within a set amount of time.
Nope. In any case, it looks like Valve "wins." I want to play on my rMBP so I'll re-buy it. However, I guess I'll sell my PS3 copy on eBay... so they "lose" in that they'll get one less sale that way :rolleyes:

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
Buy a new copy at a local store. Make a copy of the receipt. Return the unopened game for a full refund. Use the receipt for getting a new access code from Valve for your gift copy of the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.