Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarthAlgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Here and There
I just picked up a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for my Early 2008 mac pro tower. I swapped the card with the NVDIA card it came with (not sure of the model, think it was a nVidia 8800 GT).

When the machine booted, everything looked good. So, then I proceeded to download the CUDA driver so I could take advantage of the card for use in Adobe Premiere. That's when everything went to hell...

In middle of installing the CUDA driver, my two displays went completely black. And, they stayed completely black. After waiting a considerable amount of time, I kicked the computer in the teeth to try to reboot...screens still stayed black...and I got no chime.

At this point, my computer was for all purposes useless, so I took out the CUDA card and put my old card back in. I'm back up and running for the time being on my old card.

Anyone know what I did wrong? Why would the card work and then suddenly not as soon as the CUDA drivers were installed? Did I do something in the wrong order?

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise the $800 Quadro card is just a paperweight at this point.

For a point of reference, I'm running Mac OS Lion 10.7.4. My computer is an early 2008 mac pro Octo Core with 10 gb of RAM. The CUDA Driver I installed was version 5.0.17

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Is your Quadro 4000 very quiet/complete silent? I consider to get a Quadro 5000.

GarthAlgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Here and There
Is your Quadro 4000 very quiet/complete silent? I consider to get a Quadro 5000.

It was quite quiet when it was installed. It had a "green light" on the bottom if that is of any help.

Considering, I juts bought 4000 card, I'm not exactly keen to spend more money on a different card.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
You paid for a pro card, which comes with full support from the vendor. Call their support line and get them to help you.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You should install CUDA while 8800GT is in, run CUDA-Z and verify that CUDA working. The stock 88GT with 512 Megs won't enable much as it misses the 768 MB cutoff, but CUDA-Z should still be able to show functioning CUDA.

Then put the Q4000 back in.

I have noticed a few reports that 3,1 and Q4000 don't play well together, a guy posted that fan didn't work in lowest slot.

Verify that fan is spinning. If no boot screen pops up then most likely card is DOA. But CUDA can be done with 8800GT so that you know it is installed when replacement arrives.

GarthAlgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Here and There
You should install CUDA while 8800GT is in, run CUDA-Z and verify that CUDA working. The stock 88GT with 512 Megs won't enable much as it misses the 768 MB cutoff, but CUDA-Z should still be able to show functioning CUDA.

Then put the Q4000 back in.

I have noticed a few reports that 3,1 and Q4000 don't play well together, a guy posted that fan didn't work in lowest slot.

Verify that fan is spinning. If no boot screen pops up then most likely card is DOA. But CUDA can be done with 8800GT so that you know it is installed when replacement arrives.

Many thanks. I'll give it a shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.