Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:51 AM   #76
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
ROFLMAO!

So eloquent in your brevity...
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:51 AM   #77
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng-design View Post
I love Apple as much as the next fanboy, and I do plan on buying the new phone. But I had to laugh when I saw that we're measuring the holes of the casing now.

Really? It's come down to that? This isn't a new foreign species that we have to document every millimeter of. It's a larger phone, larger screen, and you get one more row for icons on the home screen. That's the news in a nutshell.

Having said that, I'm not sure why people keep complaining that Apple needs to do something "different" with the design of the phone. Why mess with perfection? The phone is thin and elegant with no wasted space. It only takes up the amount of material that is necessary to house the components, and nothing more. That's how it should be. There is no fancy beveling or textures like on other phones. No excessively rounded edges.

A smartphone should focus on the content on screen and the exterior should fade into the background. Apple has mastered that. So I don't know what else people expect. Shooting rainbows and unicorns?
There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.
terraphantm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #78
cruisencode
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpDrunk View Post
According to your logic, why was "2" skipped?

It went to 4 because it was the 4th generation iPhone.

iPhone (1st Gen)
iPhone 3G (2nd Gen)
iPhone 3GS (3rd Gen)
iPhone 4 (FOURTH Gen)
iPhone 4S (5th Gen)
iPhone...?? (6th Gen)
?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5)

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3.

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.
cruisencode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #79
Radio
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
i can't believe there are people that still think this is fake

u silly guys

we started seeing iphone 4s parts like this and even the 4 was leaked and u still said it was fake!

who was that guy that said he'd never buy one and then he bought one?

oh yah ALL YOU HATERS!


can't wait! -bart scott
__________________
iPhone 5 32gb black; iPad (3rd Gen) 32 gb black -- iPhone 4 32 gb black-- iPod classic 64 gb
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #80
newyorksole
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LongIsland/NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down
Lol go for it. I mean, yeah Tim Cook said that, but it doesn't mean that things won't get leaked. Maybe he means these measures will go into effect next year.

The iPhone is going into mass production, millions of units and it's a small device. They deal with manufacturers from China/Brazil, something is bound to get leaked out.

Also, the iPhone casing leaks every year.

I'm 110% positive. Quote me on it.
__________________
iPhone 5S 32GB Gold.
iMac 21.5" Mid-2010 1TB/8GB/i5.
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #81
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidyn's X View Post
I thought he was wearing them as to not damage the screen and then he starts scratching the hell out of it with his keys... So I am left wondering why the finger condoms to begin with?

Related to the actual thread: "The New iPhone"
Like the design (excited to see the finished product)
I think it was to keep finger prints off of it, not scratches.
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #82
Radio
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down
you say the right thing

u can't really expect millions of units to go into fabrication without a single leak -

this is the 'new iphone' guys

im already standing in line for one in my head
__________________
iPhone 5 32gb black; iPad (3rd Gen) 32 gb black -- iPhone 4 32 gb black-- iPod classic 64 gb
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #83
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisencode View Post
?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5)

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3.

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone).
No.

Count with me:

1st: iPhone
2nd: iPhone 3G
3rd: iPhone 3GS
4th: iPhone 4
5th: iPhone 4S
6th: ?????

It'll probably just be called "the new iPhone."
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #84
Piggie
macrumors 603
 
Piggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Why is he calling a Digital Caliper a Micrometer.....?

Also that's a really really cheap digital caliper, about 15 dollars worth.
Decent ones, looking at 75 to 100 dollars

Digital Caliper (a decent one from Mitutoyo)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5tBRB4yt6J...500-196-20.jpg

A Micrometer
http://image.ec21.com/image/ajayguja...MICROMETER.jpg
__________________
Amiga 500, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox360 Slim 250GB, PS3, Nokia 6210, 3 Home Made PC's, Adidas Watch, Nikon + Fuji Cameras, 32GB iPad, Furry Pigs (mainly pink!)
Piggie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:55 AM   #85
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern, VA
It's so funny to see people trash the OneX and GS3 because of their size which I think the new iPhone should at least match, but watch next year when they stretch this new version out sideways to make it more along the lines of those phones everyone will say it's amazing...

I guess Apple didn't have enough weights to hang off both sides of the phone...
__________________

Last edited by bad03xtreme; Aug 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
bad03xtreme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #86
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.
Really? I suspect the Samsung Galaxy S3 has pretty much the same amount of space above and below the screen.
Zunjine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #87
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.
I agree about the top of the screen, but the thin bezel to the sides and the bottom bezel serve as thumb rest to keep you from accidentally hitting the touch screen.

That is one of my big problems with some Android devices, that and the lack of a dedicated physical home button- especially on my Samsung tablet.
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #88
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
They should have kept the FaceTime camera in its current location rather than move it to above the earpiece and reduced that area to decrease the overall device height even further.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:58 AM   #89
cruisencode
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
No.

Count with me:

1st: iPhone
2nd: iPhone 3G
3rd: iPhone 3GS
4th: iPhone 4
5th: iPhone 4S
6th: ?????

It'll probably just be called "the new iPhone."
No.

It they cared so much about generations it would have been the following:


1st: iPhone
2nd: iPhone 2
3rd: iPhone 3
4th: iPhone 4
5th: iPhone 5
6th: ?????
cruisencode is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:58 AM   #90
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
It's so funny to see people trash the OneX and GS3 because of their size which I think the new iPhone should at least match, but watch next year when they stretch this new version out sideways to make it more along the lines of those phones everyone will say it's amazing...
They won't stretch it again next year. Remember their pattern- 3G to 3GS, 4 to 4S, iPhone whatever to iPhone whatever S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
Only took two posts...... We get it!

I like calling it the iPhone 4XL. Bugs the hell out of my friends.
LOL....I like it.
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #91
lowonthe456
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs to level and set expectations for the upcoming design.
Fixed
lowonthe456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #92
bedifferent
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
I'm excited as anyone here about the iPhone 5 release, but this daily frontpage coverage of the same, repetitive "news" is getting old.
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #93
Dades
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
The key scratch test is hilarious.

Oh, and I still hate the Longphone and cannot comprehend how Apple see a stretched version of their iP4 as enough of a design leap after two years.

Let's face it - the hardware probably won't see a refresh again until 2014, which means their single telephone product will have seen only minor tweaks in four years.
__________________
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Dades is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #94
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.
I agree with your assessment, but I believe Apple also needed to use the 'wasted space' to accommodate a larger battery inside, hence the reason to move the camera above the earpiece and shift the home button down a bit. Since the phone will most likely be thinner, they'll need to keep battery life around what the 4S is getting, and this might be the only other way to do it.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #95
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisencode View Post
?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5)

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3.

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.
No, because it was the fourth generation. Steve Jobs literally said that today they were introducing 'iPhone 4; the fourth generation iPhone.'

Apple has a reason for everything when giving product names. iPhone 3G, because it got 3G speeds. iPhone 3GS, because it had the 3G design but received Speed bumps. iPhone 4, because it was the fourth generation iPhone. iPhone 4S, because it had the iPhone 4's design, with Siri (and Speed).

If they call it "iPhone 5", what will the "5" stand for? If you look at Apple's naming patterns, it must mean something.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #96
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelb View Post
I agree about the top of the screen, but the thin bezel to the sides and the bottom bezel serve as thumb rest to keep you from accidentally hitting the touch screen.

That is one of my big problems with some Android devices, that and the lack of a dedicated physical home button- especially on my Samsung tablet.
I think it would look strange with an asymmetrical front panel. Also, don't forget that there are times when you might be using the phone upside down and that space above the screen works the same way as the space below does - allowing you a place to grip with your thumb.

Does anyone have photoshop who fancies mocking up what this design would look like with less space either above or below the screen, or less space at both ends? I get the feeling it would look really odd.
Zunjine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #97
convergent
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisencode View Post
?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5)

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3.

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.
I think that all the numbers are going away for the future... the new iPhone is going to be just the new iPhone... just like the iPad, all their other products. the iPhone is the only Mac product that has a version number on it and it does create the confusion we are describing.
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Mid 2011) - 1.8Ghz, 4G RAM, 250G SSD, w/ 27" TB Display, Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Trackpad
iPad Mini - 16G, Wifi, Black, iPhone 4s - 32G, Black
Apple TV 2 w/Firecore
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #98
WigWag Workshop
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Born and Raised in SE WI)
For me, it's all about the experience, and the OS. I currently have the iPhone 4, and ready for an upgrade.
WigWag Workshop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #99
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.
If you don't know and have proof of what the next iPhone will be called, making such comments totally destroys any credibility you might think you have.
JHankwitz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #100
Ingot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng-design View Post
I love Apple as much as the next fanboy, and I do plan on buying the new phone. But I had to laugh when I saw that we're measuring the holes of the casing now.

A smartphone should focus on the content on screen and the exterior should fade into the background. Apple has mastered that. So I don't know what else people expect. Shooting rainbows and unicorns?
I am all in for a good ol' fashion unicorn hunt. Those damned single horn freaks of nature need to be extinct once and for ALL!!!!
Ingot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detailed iPhone 6 Mockup Compared to iPhone 5s in New Video MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 145 May 15, 2014 09:24 AM
Newly Released Video Offers Detailed Look at Upcoming 'Champagne' iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 228 Sep 2, 2013 02:03 PM
Anyone with Black iPhone 5 want to trade front panels with White? Ahheck01 iPhone 5 Dec 13, 2012 03:08 AM
Video Comparison of 'iPhone 5' Front Panel and Flex Cables to iPhone 4S Parts MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 38 Aug 27, 2012 03:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC