Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I'm currently a college student ready to buy a new Macbook Air and I have a few simple questions about AppleCare.

Is each of the following statements true? (I think they are, I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly).

1) A brand new Macbook Air comes with 1 year of free repair warranty, even if you don't buy additional AppleCare. This warranty covers all repairs that are not directly caused by you (so spilling water would not be covered).

2) At any point during the 1 year of free warranty I can decide to purchase additional AppleCare to extend for the other 2 years.

3) If I decide to purchase AppleCare at some point after purchase (but before the first year is up), I can still get the student discount (assuming I'm still a student).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Correct on all 3 statements.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
Correct on all 3 statements.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Thanks. There is a chance that I'll only have this computer for a year, so I'll probably wait to purchase extended warranty until I know for sure if I'll keep this computer long term.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks. There is a chance that I'll only have this computer for a year, so I'll probably wait to purchase extended warranty until I know for sure if I'll keep this computer long term.

Also if you use your AmEx you get another year warranty (2nd year) free from American Express and also 90 days of protection against theft, fire, etc. It effectively makes AppleCare only 1 year of extra warranty (3rd year) so IMO AppleCare ain't worth it.

Also the 90 days or 3 years of Applecare phone support is a joke. Just don't give them your serial number and they won't know who's calling. LOL.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also the 90 days or 3 years of Applecare phone support is a joke. Just don't give them your serial number and they won't know who's calling. LOL.
They won't give telephone support without the serial number, to verify that the coverage is in force.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
They won't give telephone support without the serial number, to verify that the coverage is in force.

Ok, I haven't called in a while (3-4 years). Then what you can do is give them a serial number for another computer you own under warranty, or just another random serial number. LOL.

Or if your question is pretty simple and quick, you can just say "I have a quick question...I won't be charged for this call right?" I've done that before. It's like calling your doctor.

The point is, there are ways to get phone support.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, I haven't called in a while (3-4 years). Then what you can do is give them a serial number for another computer you own under warranty, or just another random serial number. LOL.

Or if your question is pretty simple and quick, you can just say "I have a quick question...I won't be charged for this call right?" I've done that before. It's like calling your doctor.
While they can and do make exceptions sometimes, they'll typically give you the option of pay-per-incident support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.