Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I use Top Sites all the time, multiple times a day and I rely on the star to let me know when one of the sites has new content.

Ever since upgrading to Mountain Lion the top sites page does not show a star on updated sites. The thumbnails refresh, and I can make changes to the top sites and the order of the sites, but no star appears to indicate updated content.

I've removed the top sites plist file, reset Safari completely, re-installed it, and tried just about everything else I can think of. I can't stand Chrome or FireFox, but if this feature won't work in Safari 6, I can't use it anymore....

Anyone else having this issue? Know of a fix besides resetting the top sites and Safari preferences?

Thanks!

McRCN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Virginia
I use Safari and have the same issue. I wonder if Apple did away with the blue star feature in Top Sites in ML.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Upon further research it appears that most people running Safari 6.0 are having this issue. I couldn't find a post of anyone confirming that the star appears for them on 6.0

I have filed a bug report with Apple, and sent feedback to their Safari page.

I'm hoping this is just a bug and the functionality will be restored. I can't imagine why they'd take this out, although they did away with other useful features, such as the Activity Viewer and RSS.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Goto menu bar - safar, Reset Safari, and check "Reset Top Sites".

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Goto menu bar - safar, Reset Safari, and check "Reset Top Sites".

Already did that, as I said. I completely reset everything in Safari, and manually deleted all plist files, including the topsites one.

Do you see the update stars on top sites in Safari 6.0?

jolaca

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Top Sites stars, Mountain Lion

I called Apple yesterday and the guy confirmed that Apple has removed that feature from this version of Safari. There is nothing you can do to get those stars back, which is terrible news.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 9.15.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 9.15.33 AM.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 152

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Here is a screenshot of the top sites showing update stars.

I''ve never seen that before on any machine until yesterday on my windows 7 samsung laptop. And the only star was for macrumors. Even in snow leopard I never saw that.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I''ve never seen that before on any machine until yesterday on my windows 7 samsung laptop. And the only star was for macrumors. Even in snow leopard I never saw that.

Don't know what to tell you. I've seen them every day for years until Safari 6.0

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
This is a bummer....it appears Top Sites indicator used and is gone with RSS

Bummer on this since it was the only browser that gave me situational awareness of which of my sites had updated since I last looked at them (that was a cool and valuable thing to me), but it appears this is gone.

Was reading here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168016/bugs_and_fixes_troubleshooting_mountain_lion.html

Apparently the Top Sites site update indication functionality used the RSS functionality (which was removed with Safari v6) to determine if the sites on the page had been updated since last viewed, so when they ripped out and threw away the RSS functionality the Top Sites update indicator functionality was taken away as well.

According to one of the guys posting on the other site, the RSS functionality that was removed was not just within Safari, but at least some of it within OS X (i.e. at the OS level), so it wouldn't be an easy thing to put back in.

For those that have Lion, if you can grab a copy of Safari v5.1.7 from Time Machine or another Mac, you can drop it in a separate directory within Applications and it'll run fine on Lion (not on Mountain Lion where it crashes, goes along with OS level RSS functionality being removed on Mountain Lion). Be sure not to run both versions of Safari at the same time or corruption of a lot of files could ensue.

For those that have Mountain Lion, unfortunately Safari v5.1.7 won't run on it....as another commentator mentioned Mountain Lion had OS level RSS functionality removed from OS X and presumably that's why v5.1.7 crashes immediately.

Back to v5.1.7 for me for the time being, but that's only temporary since security updates won't be coming on v5.x anymore. What a bummer.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH

No you saw them. "And the only star was for macrumors." You said so right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.