Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Messages .. has anyone actually got this to work?

Through personal experience and various forums and podcasts, I'm thinking that Messages has a ways to go until it's really functional. When I send a message on my Macbook air, I can see that it's been "delivered" and it also shows up on my iPhone just like any other message I've sent to someone else with iMessage, but it doesn't actually go through. Has anyone had any success with using this on their computer?
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
jnl1211
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Through personal experience and various forums and podcasts, I'm thinking that Messages has a ways to go until it's really functional. When I send a message on my Macbook air, I can see that it's been "delivered" and it also shows up on my iPhone just like any other message I've sent to someone else with iMessage, but it doesn't actually go through. Has anyone had any success with using this on their computer?
Yep. It's worked fine for me every since using Messages Beta on Lion. Sounds like an issue on your end. I use it daily to text with friends and the wife. MUCH easier than pulling my phone out all the time.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Pock
macrumors regular

Mine has been running perfect. If I send a message on my Mac, it shows up instantly on my other devices and seem to be making their way to their destinations fine, and vice versa.
Pock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
garbeth
macrumors regular

I had the occasional sync issue when using the beta but since Mountain Lion everything has been great. Never had issues with iMessages not being delivered though.
garbeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

No problems here either. Two Macs and an iPad in harmony.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

iMessage seems to work on my outbound messages from my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Receiving incoming messages are sporadic in that the message doesn't always make it to my iPad or Mac, but always to my iPhone.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I was listening to MacCast and he was reviewing Mountain Lion. He's basically having the same issues I've had. I've noticed also that I only see the couple of text messages I've sent on my iPad as well and it's not syncing up with my iPhone and now my Macbook Air. It doesn't look like there's anything I'm missing in the settings. I'm logged in with my apple ID just fine and the account is enabled. I'm wondering if it's a matter of sending the message to the right address. For example when I'm writing a new message, my wife shows up 2 different ways, her apple ID and her phone #. I do know that when I send a message to either, it shows up as the same conversation.
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a

ugh messages are a bit of a disaster for me. i was using the beta on lion, and then did a completely fresh OS install when i got ML - so there's no beta bugs that could be left over from a previous install.

with 3 apple devices signed in, they each receive messages at different times, and literally show up in the wrong spots in conversation histories. so for example, i can be messaging with someone on the phone one day, and then the next day messaging them on the computer, and their messages from the previous day are actually arriving and getting peppered in the midst of our current conversation, making it really tough to follow whats going on unless you keep an eagle eye on the timestamp.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9
odraude
macrumors member

mac and iphone working flawless
odraude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:25 PM   #10
bailmdb
macrumors newbie

Messages from Macbook not showing up on iPhone and vice versa

Like the title says. If I send an iMessage from my Macbook Pro to my wife, it shows up on her iPhone. But it comes in as a separate message than my iPhone initiated messages. And when she replies it goes back to whichever message she chose. So if she responds to my Macbook message, it comes to my Macbook. If she chooses my iPhone message, it comes to my iPhone. Thoughts on how to sync them?? Thanks.
Nikon D3100
bailmdb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmdb View Post
Like the title says. If I send an iMessage from my Macbook Pro to my wife, it shows up on her iPhone. But it comes in as a separate message than my iPhone initiated messages. And when she replies it goes back to whichever message she chose. So if she responds to my Macbook message, it comes to my Macbook. If she chooses my iPhone message, it comes to my iPhone. Thoughts on how to sync them?? Thanks.
You need to be using your Apple ID on all devices and not your phone number
Check your settings on the phone to use the Apple ID
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:31 PM   #12
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

i'v used messages succesfully with one iphone user.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:33 PM   #13
MacDawg
macrumors P6

My wife has a MBA, iPhone 4 and iPad 1
I have a MBA, iPhone 4s and new iPad

We message constantly and all messages go to all devices consistently
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
bailmdb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Ahh, ok. So, only messages received via iMessages will use that address and any other message (say from an Android device) will come in as an SMS through my phone #, right? Interesting. Thanks for the response!
Nikon D3100
bailmdb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:54 PM   #15
xnickitynickx
macrumors regular

All of mine seem to be working along quite well. iPhone, iPad, and MacBook
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:23 PM   #16
jlblodgett
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post

So I have heard that there are plans on Apple's end to MERGE all the numbers / emails / Apple ID's etc. into one - so it won't matter whether you send a text, or use your apple ID iMessage, etc. - it will all show up the same.

At least I am hopeful that is what will happen!
jlblodgett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:32 AM   #17
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlblodgett View Post
So I have heard that there are plans on Apple's end to MERGE all the numbers / emails / Apple ID's etc. into one - so it won't matter whether you send a text, or use your apple ID iMessage, etc. - it will all show up the same.

That would be amazing
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:34 AM   #18
jk73
macrumors regular

I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion yet. I like the concept of Messages, but does it truly replace one's iPhone, so to speak, or will I still need to check my iPhone every time it beeps with an incoming message?

In other words, if a non-iPhone user sends me a text message to my phone number, will that message also show up in Messages on my rMBP, or does Messages only display messages sent to one's Apple ID? Thanks.
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 02:31 AM   #19
ek9max
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
That would be amazing
Yes. I can't wait for that. iPad with IOS 6 does this.... So I'm sure Macos is next. And I can't see it being too far away either.
ek9max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 05:08 AM   #20
tillsbury
macrumors 6502a

Messages and air mirroring are the two things I use most of ML's new features. Talk to four ipads regularly...
tillsbury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:30 AM   #21
bbfc
macrumors 68020

Messages has worked for me since the Beta. Works flawlessly with iMessages and Facebook Chat.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:53 AM   #22
jlblodgett
macrumors 6502a

Messages DOES work -- but to get the messages to come through on your computer there are a couple things that have to happen.

#1 - the Messages app must be active on your computer. (i.e. the app must be open)

#2 - the person sending the iMessage has to be sending a message to your email address - NOT your phone number.

Most people still send text messages via a phone number, even those with iMessage/iPhones. While those will go through fine iPhone to iPhone - they won't go through to iMessage. Hopefully the "unification" in iOS 6 will solve that problem.
jlblodgett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #23
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmdb View Post
Ahh, ok. So, only messages received via iMessages will use that address and any other message (say from an Android device) will come in as an SMS through my phone #, right? Interesting. Thanks for the response!
Quote:

That is correct
Once you get Messages set up it is awesome
Start a convo on your computer, and pick it up on your iPhone/iPad without missing a beat
We do it all the time
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Ledgem
macrumors 65816

Quote:
#1 - the Messages app must be active on your computer. (i.e. the app must be open)
This was true for Messages Beta on OS X 10.7, but on OS X 10.8 it's no longer the case. You'll still receive notifications about messages even if Messages is closed; of course, you need to open Messages to reply.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Xavier
macrumors 68020

I've noticed two things since Messages came out of "beta." (I still think it is beta status to be honest)

Photos for contacts no longer show up. They used to show up, but now no one has an icon. I have a picture for everyone in my address book.

Sometimes it says I have 5 or so new messages after receiving just one new message, it is displays a bag for 5 instead of 1.

Just little weird things that should work fine but dont, at least for me.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion